Phantom PR-4, 31 Sqn RAF Bruggen, 1974 - FINISHED!!

Started by bexwh773, August 06, 2008, 10:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bexwh773

In 1969 the RAF was looking for a viable replacement for the Canberra PR3 & PR7 in the low level PR Role and keeping the PR9 for very high altitude work. They looked at the American Phantom RF-4C to fulfil this role with its nose full of cameras and as 31 Squadron was due to reequip with the Phantom, 2 crews were sent to the USA to evaluate the aircraft and put it through its paces. The only modifications they suggested was to refit the RF-4C with Rolls Royce Spey engines, to standardise the RAF's Phantom fleet. It was also decided, that once the cameras in the nose had been replaced with the British versions........ F52 & F49 cameras, the now defunct EMI Centreline Pod would be modified to carry both the F89 Camera and a small crate of photoflash flares. The only other modifcation was the fitting of 4 AIM 9-D Sidewinders for self defence.

Once the aircraft were suitably modified for the RAF, 31 Sqn released their Canberras in 1971, to be the only RAF Squadron to fly this version of the Phantom, now designated Phantom PR-4. The choice of this Sqn was perfectly chosen, as they had become used to doing very low level PR work and it made sense to carry this on with their Phantoms and keep all the tactics and flying skills they had already learnt.

The kit is an Italeri / Testors RF-4C with RR Spey intakes & Jetpipes with an Aires RF-4B resin cockpit set, AIM 9-D's from the Hasegawa weapons set, main decals from the spares box and the 31 Squadron Markings supplied by GaryC on BM to whom Im very very very grateful. Paint is my usual, Revell Enamels, brush painted, varnish is DecoArt DecoClear Matt, with a dose of Pro Modeller Dark Wash. The Winder rails were made from wooden Lolly Sticks fitted to the kits pylons. The WIP Thread can be found HERE Finally, thanks to Merv for the Squadron & Station badges.

THanks for looking, comments both good and bad will be most appreciated,
Bex

Here we have XT988 Phantom PR-4 of 31 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, 1974

Becky aka Bex

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Brian da Basher

Holy smokes, Bex!!! That Phantom came out hotter than a 19 year old go-go dancer!!! The paint work is absolutely top-shelf and the RAF squadron markings and shark's mouth should really make people take notice!

A gorgeous head-turner for sure!

And I don't usually say that about airplanes with only one wing and no spats!

Be sure to take and post pics of the numerous awards and prizes this baby is sure to win!

Outstanding!!!!
:wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

Bryan H.

Quote from: Brian da Basher on August 06, 2008, 12:14:02 PM
Holy smokes, Bex!!! That Phantom came out hotter than a 19 year old go-go dancer!!!

What he said!  Your Phantom definitely fits into the shoulda'been catagory of whiffery!  Great work & what an introduction!  :thumbsup:

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

sotoolslinger

That turned out absolutely gorgeous Bex. Top shelf work throughout the entire build. :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

bexwh773

WOW, thank you for the wonderful comments :wub:  :wub:   :thumbsup:   I doubt I will win any prizes, but I do hope that my forum can get a table or two at next years RAF Cosford Model Show and she will be on the table because I know it will raise a few eyebrows  :o  :lol:  :lol:

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Rafael

Really, really, accentuates the majestic shape of the old Phantom :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Martin H

Quote from: bexwh773 on August 06, 2008, 03:02:49 PM
WOW, thank you for the wonderful comments :wub:  :wub:   :thumbsup:   I doubt I will win any prizes, but I do hope that my forum can get a table or two at next years RAF Cosford Model Show and she will be on the table because I know it will raise a few eyebrows  :o  :lol:  :lol:

Bex

If not theres always the What if? SIG stand.

love the peeping toom......looks good in the RAF paint job :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

bexwh773

Quote from: Martin H on August 06, 2008, 03:17:59 PM
Quote from: bexwh773 on August 06, 2008, 03:02:49 PM

Bex

If not theres always the What if? SIG stand.

love the peeping toom......looks good in the RAF paint job :)

Thanks Martin & Rafa  :thumbsup:

Im not a member of the IPMS so I doubt Id be able to put on one of their tables

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Martin H

Quote from: bexwh773 on August 06, 2008, 03:24:42 PM

Bex

Terry (when he was  SIG boss) had me down as a member of the SIG for 4 years before I joined  the IPMS proper. 
And as SIG leader I get to say who can and cant put models on the stand :)  the What if? SIG is open to all, IPMS members or not as far as we are concerned.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

bexwh773

Quote from: Martin H on August 06, 2008, 03:27:56 PM
Quote from: bexwh773 on August 06, 2008, 03:24:42 PM

Bex

Terry (when he was  SIG boss) had me down as a member of the SIG for 4 years before I joined  the IPMS proper. 
And as SIG leader I get to say who can and cant put models on the stand :)  the What if? SIG is open to all, IPMS members or not as far as we are concerned.

Oh you learn something new everyday,I like the sound of this, I'll drop you a PM tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Glenn Gilbertson

A magnificent looking beast! Interesting backstory and top-class modelling - the sharkmouth is particularly inspired.  :bow: :thumbsup:

Aussie747

Lovely Finish Bex!

It certainly looks the part in RAF colours

:drink:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

BlackOps