Spanish Republican Roundels

Started by Mossie, August 05, 2008, 03:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Ow do all,

Can anyone spare any Spanish Republican Roundels in 1/72, fighter size?  They're for my profiles build.  It's not essential, as they were not always carried, but I thought it might add a splash of colour.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

If you've got some Belgian roundels, you can simply use them and replace the black center with a dark blue or purple dot.

Brian da Basher

Mossie

Thanks Bri, I've got some Spanish roundels with the red dot in the middle.  I'm not sure how I'd go about changing the centre?  I'd probably make a mess painting it freehand & my compass cutters won't cut to such a small diameter.   Any tips?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Thanks Lee, I've had a look but I can only find a Spanish Nationalist sheet.  Anyone know of any kits that carry the roundels, I might pick up a cheap one as it's often not a lot more expensive than getting hold of an aftermarket sheet.  A Model do a Hawker Fury with Spanish Republican roundels, but it's a little dear at over £8.

Mossie

Might pick one up then, although I'm not a great fan of bipes either.  I don't think the Polikarpov I-15 or I-16 ever wore roundels & I definately can't find a kit with any, as both of those might do for a project I've got in mind.  I could always offer the Fury as a swap.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Mossie on August 06, 2008, 03:07:21 AM
Thanks Bri, I've got some Spanish roundels with the red dot in the middle.  I'm not sure how I'd go about changing the centre?  I'd probably make a mess painting it freehand & my compass cutters won't cut to such a small diameter.   Any tips?

I'd find some blue decals (thick outer circles from RAF roundels would work) and get a hole punch to punch out the dot you need. Another thing you can do is punch a hole through some masking tape and use that to mask off your dot in the center and then paint. You could also use a blue marker to color over the center dot in your Spanish roundels.

Good luck and please post your completed model for all of us to enjoy!

Brian da Basher

Bryan H.

Quote from: Brian da Basher on August 06, 2008, 01:28:45 AM
If you've got some Belgian roundels, you can simply use them and replace the black center with a dark blue or purple dot.

Brian da Basher

This is pretty much what I did for my Republican Spain MiG-17.  I used Romanian rondelles & painted the blue centers over with a purple color.  If you're doing tail insignia mix up enough purple for the tail also.

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Mossie

Bri & Bry, thanks that'll probably work!  I do have a hole punch with variable sizes & I already have the purple paint.

Cheers! :cheers:

Simon

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 06, 2008, 06:49:42 AM
Narses might have some, it's the type of kit he'd buy.

Mossie - I'll have a look and see what I have once I get sorted after my hols

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

NARSES2

Right I've had a look and the only ones that sprang out at me were from the Azure Nuieport Delage. They are full span so preaty large - approx 20mm dia - 4 of them. That ok ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

They'll be great Chris!  I was thinking of smaller roundels, but yours are much the same size as the Spits roundels so they'll actually work better as a straight 'overpaint'.  PM on it's way!

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Simon.