Finnish Hunters a question

Started by Geoff, August 04, 2008, 01:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

OK, I know the Finns were interested in the F-4 Hunters, but got the Gnat F-1's instead due to cost in real life.

I was going to do an F-6 in Finnish colours, but then started to think (obsess). Would they have been able to re-build/update the F-4's to later standards as required, as and when it could be afforded?

The question is, would they have ended up with Sidewinder equipped aircraft to FGA-9 standard? Or should I stick with the F-6; or cut down the wing leading edges to do a -4?

I think the braking chute would be a good idea on icy runways, and the Norwegians did a similar thing with the F-16's fin ECM pod.

Any/all opinions welcome, thanks

GeoffP.

Geoff

kitnut617

I'm sure I've read that the Hunter was designed and built with upgrades in mind, especially in the engine department.  It was assumed that more powerful engines would have got bigger.  Is that right Lee ?

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

Some snippets...at that time the Finns were looking to aquire x6 air defence fighters,  of which the Hawker's Hunter being the favoured type, no actual version was specified (as any model would be of necessity a 'what if' any type standard from the period would be suitable id guess?)

Major Lauri Pekuri during evaluation flying of the Hunter F.4 in the UK. became the first Finnish pilot to exceed the spreed of sound, M1.15 on 20 June 56

For the price of 6 Hunters, the Air Force was able to purchase 12 Folland Gnat fighters, the deal being signed on 17 Oct 56, the first 2 being delivered on 30 Jul 58. Valmet had also intended taking out a license to build the type but this unfortunately wasnt taken up.

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Geoff

Well I ended up doing an F-6 in NMF, serial HN-01, with the "wildcat" on the fin in the end. I had intended it to be Cuban but the rudder flag just didn't fit.   
The plan is to also do an "upgraded" FGA-9 in full cammo as well at some time.
Thanks for the help and info!
GeoffP.

TsrJoe

sounds sweet  :thumbsup:... ooohh go on lets all see...

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Geoff

Hi Joe, I cannot do pics on this as I never mastered that bit of the tech. If I can persuade Falcon we may get a pic up.

Dork the kit slayer

The Swiss (Gord luv 'em)operated their Hunters much longer than anyone ever thought possible. Just loved those "Maverick" load outs. :thumbsup: :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Geoff

I may well do something similar on the -9, alternativly something Soviet from an Su-17??

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on August 08, 2008, 04:28:48 AM
The Swiss (Gord luv 'em)operated their Hunters much longer than anyone ever thought possible. Just loved those "Maverick" load outs. :thumbsup: :cheers:

NARSES2

Must admit I was thinking of a RAuxAF Hunter with Maverick's
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: Geoff on August 17, 2008, 04:31:24 AM
I may well do something similar on the -9, alternativly something Soviet from an Su-17??

I like the sound of a Soviet loadout! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

A Sukhoi Hunterpov? Punterhov? Untersski? Untaski??

A Sukhoi "Untaski"....sounds good.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff

It would need a NATO reporting name as well!

Radish

Sukhoi "Untaski"...NATO reporting name .....

Fag
Funny
Funster
Frankenstein
Filly
Fabe
F*cker
Fart
Farter
Fiddle
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff