Republic of Texas Navy fighter

Started by sotoolslinger, August 03, 2008, 08:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

I actually have 2 builds planned so far. I will be designed along the lines of the Bearcat , the smallest airframe wrapped around the biggest engine. But a FW 190 D-9 has been looking at me for a couple of weeks just demanding to be bashed. I have always loved the look of the Longnose but I was hesitant to try to make a naval plane out of it because I know what a problem pilot visibility is during carrier operations . What to do? I know how about tricycle landing gear and a raised cockpit :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
So the whacking begins

I seem to have quite a few Mustang cockpits laying around ;D

The engine and wings will be moved back to make room for the forward landing gear
The droptank halves will be the air intakes for the liquid cooled V-12

And to make the craft easy to land and take off she will have foreplanes with spoilers

I haven't really figured out how they will be placed yet.

More later today when I get the wings on ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

I really like the look of the raised cockpit, Toolslinger!

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Thanks B .I'm working the putty right now and should have some new pics up pretty quick ;D
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Pre jet canard?  You rock and roll, sir !

Rafael

This is one marvelous invention, STS!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Really solves the visibility over that looong nose, and those canards make this "triplane" look like it could twist, reach out and bite its tail!!!

And a tricycle gear is the best idea after spats!!

Oh! I forgot to ask my favorite question: What weapons suite will she carry?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

HARIHAR

Your idea of canards on wwll bird is genius :thumbsup:

sotoolslinger

Thanks to all ya'll :wub: The weapons setup right now stands at 2 15mm guns in the upper deck  1 in each wing and probably 4 of my 33-40's 2 in each wing 33-40 is a 330 grain .330 diameter projectile in a necked down .404 Jeffreys case. This attains 2800 feet per second and allows the range and penetration of a .50 cal with lighter ammo.
Now for more pics still blending the new cockpit in

I have drooped the wingtips to increase ground effect

Here is the internal bracing to hold the wings
I amuse me.

Rafael

It's a great start. Do you have a pic form the side, I mean leveled, to better appreciate the raised cockpit? :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rafa

1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

HOG

Hi SoToSli`
Thanks for the headzup. Yet another candidate for very very off white. S`lookin` good, but might need a ladder for the pilot from wing top to cockpit, andits sooo fast it leaves its wings behind on take off. (Sack the designer!)

"I will be designed along the lines of the Bearcat , the smallest airframe wrapped around the biggest engine."
Good luck with the plastic surgery, altho with your build maybe the tigercat might be a better choice.

Cheers  :drink:
Gary

H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Thanks ya'll I'll get that pic posted in a few minutes Rafa. I'm putting the wings together now. Hogg ,I mean Hog  ;D The other build I plan will be based on the Brewster Buff with a huge effin radial ;D
I amuse me.

Taiidantomcat

:wub: Again Brilliant, Sotool. Running out of ways to describe your great work!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: sotoolslinger on August 03, 2008, 01:44:43 PMThanks ya'll I'll get that pic posted in a few minutes Rafa. I'm putting the wings together now. Hogg ,I mean Hog  ;D The other build I plan will be based on the Brewster Buff with a huge effin radial ;D

That sounds like the perfect description for the romantic byproduct of an evening liaison between a GB Racer and the Brewster Buffalo? :) 

"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel! ..."--Edmund Blackadder

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

Ah love the slackbladder  ;D Here are some more pics of how the new cockpit sets

Right now I am installing the intakes into the wing roots :wacko:
I amuse me.

Rafael

Hey!!

I see the face of the pilot over the dashboard!!!

Good thing now that this plane will land on a tricycle and the fellow on board can see all the way forward.

Downturned wingtips......sexy!!

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Damian2

:wub:

I love the lines she has. But if I have to say so all I can see is this plane without the canards and in the markings in one of the P-47N sqns all NMF with yellow bands, perhaps Expectans Goose??

But I will love whatever she comes out as!!!!

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.