Hunter FGA.9

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 02, 2008, 06:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Well we were supposed to go and see a band tonight, but a sick young 'un has us at home instead.  So now that everyone is settled in for the night, driven in from a pleasant evening on the deck by mosquitos the size of sparrows, I'm starting a quickie build while we watch a little TV.

Since it's a quickie build I decided on my favorite quick kit, a Revell 1/72 Hunter.  Right now the plan is for either a USAF F-99B in Vietnam, or an RAF Vietnam FGA.9.  As always this plan is subject to change!   :lol:

So far the pit pieces are painted a lovely shade of black and the wing parts are glued together.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

One thing I'm noticing on this kit is there is a lot more flash than I've seen on any of the three Hunter F.6s I've built.  There are a few sinkmarks that will need attention too on the leading edge dogtooth section.  I think it was Nev talking about a flash and sinkmarks on a Revell Typhoon he got recently, and I wonder if this kit is seeing the same kind of problem.  The base kit has only been around a few years so it will be disapointing if they are having mold problems already.

lancer

I think the RAF FGA9 in Vietnam is a definate contender. Would it carry the USAF 3 tone Vietnam scheme or a different one. I would have thought that the standard grey/green scheme carried by RAF Hunters would not look out of place over there either.
Also, roumour has it that Revell are outsourcing thier it molding o a Polish company now. If that is true, then I would expect a number of flaws to start apperaing on Revell kits. I have not long finished building the Revell 2 hole typhoon and I swear that it almost got thrown against the wall a couple of times during construction as the fit, especially around the cockpits was so bloody awful!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey would be fine, but you probably wouldn't see any difference to a normal Hunter.  There was a British sub-tropical colour of Dark Green/Dark Earth that was seen on export arcraft, Singapore Hunters wore this.  Another combo that I've experimented with is Dark Earth/Light Stone & that seems to suit Vietnam well.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Geoff

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 03, 2008, 04:21:04 AM
Dark Green, Dark Earth with black undersides.  It suits the Hunter very well. I've got one like that, albeit unfinished, and it looks fab.

Sounds good!

The Rat

Either build makes for a fascinating backstory, and with your skills added to it we've got no choice but to stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 02, 2008, 06:09:14 PM...driven in from a pleasant evening on the deck by mosquitos the size of sparrows,...

What wussy part of the world are you living in? Here we put jesses on them, sit them on our fists, and fly them at geese.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Hmmmm not sure about the black undersides, Nick, but Dk Grn & Dk Earth topsides are a given !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

I had been leaning towards dk green/dk earth over high-speed silver, with a thirf, lighter green as a possible third colour.  I had nover considered black as a lower colour, though now that I think about it, it sounds really good.  I just dont know how I would justify it for a low-alt daytime aircraft in the CAS role...

I'll have to think on this one a little more now I think.

Lancer, as I wad getting the wings and fuselage together last night I thought the fit didnt seem as good as the F.6s I have done.  I put it down ot something I had done wrong, but maybe it is the molds.  It's still nice, just not AS nice as the others.  Panel lines not as crisp, that sort of thing.

nev

How about green/brown wraparound if you don't like the black underneath?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: nev on August 04, 2008, 04:41:22 AM

Yeahhhh, us the same wraparound pattern as XII Sqn used on the F6's when the Bucc's were grounded in 1984. Good call, Nev.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

Apologies for the minor thread hijack, but this thread has now given me the colour scheme I need for a 'junglie' build that I will he building next. Details are classified, but it does involve an extended Malayan Emergency situation. Anyway, Nick, thanks for the inspiration my friend.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on August 04, 2008, 09:01:25 AM

Yeahhhh, us the same wraparound pattern as XII Sqn used on the F6's when the Bucc's were grounded in 1984. Good call, Nev.

Ian

It's what the Rhodesians did with their FGA-9's IIRC

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Geoff on August 04, 2008, 01:26:16 PM
Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on August 04, 2008, 09:01:25 AM

Ian

It's what the Rhodesians did with their FGA-9's IIRC

Geoff:
Think they just extended the Dark Earth - very roughly - to cover all the undersides, not the Dark Green. But back to Nicks' build. How about this idea...... RVnAF or US Air Commando,  Use the standard Hunter camouflage pattern, but use three colours - the Green/Green/Tan and pale Grey underside - of the SEA scheme, a little British/a little U.S. !!

Back to you

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on August 04, 2008, 11:11:08 PM
How about this idea...... RVnAF or US Air Commando,  Use the standard Hunter camouflage pattern, but use three colours - the Green/Green/Tan and pale Grey underside - of the SEA scheme, a little British/a little U.S. !!

What is RVnAF? Royal Vietnam Air Force?
Will die without understanding this world.