RAAF Mirage 4000S

Started by Aussie747, August 01, 2008, 06:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie747

Well after Nev's thread on his Mirage 4000 build resurfaced here and over at ARC I thought I would show some progress on my Mirage 4000.

I wanted to do a twin seater strike jet much the same as the 2000N.  So I chopped the forward fuselage and spine from an Italeri 2000D and grafted it to the Anigrand back end. This is my first resin kit and am still coming to grips with using superglue to hold everything together. I think I put too much anhedral on the wings (should be flat I think) but it is a Whif so I suppose I can do what I want.

I am up to the seats, I was thinking about using some resin replacements, though I will have a go with the Italeri kit seats and mod them a bit and see how they look.

Here are a couple of pics of my progress. The other Mirage is a IIIO for size reference.

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Rafael

Great idea behind this wonderful model, Ray!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love the looks of the two seater graft in front. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I can't remember if the 4000 had any anhedral or not, it doesn't matter. You are in whif-world, and you can get away with "....it was an experimental configuration"

Great one. What will she be dressed for?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Wow!  Are those two really in the same scale?   :ph34r:

You are inspiring me to try my hand at a resin kit, too.  Have always wanted to but always lacked the guts.  Yours is looking very promising.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Aussie747

Quote from: Rafael on August 01, 2008, 06:52:57 PM
Great idea behind this wonderful model, Ray!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love the looks of the two seater graft in front. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I can't remember if the 4000 had any anhedral or not, it doesn't matter. You are in whif-world, and you can get away with "....it was an experimental configuration"

Great one. What will she be dressed for?

Rafa

Thanks Rafa and John,

I am planning a RAAF scheme for this one, not sure of the final look but I think I will play around with a few ideas I have and see now it turns out.

I am looking for a Mirage 2000 single seater to go with it for my back story.

:cheers:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

HARIHAR

Wow! Great idea ,mirage 4000 is one of my favorite birds,and two seater,wow :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mossie

You've got some guts, first resin kit & you're chopping it too!  Looking forward to seeing the results, I've always thought the 4000 looks too big to be a single seater! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Like I said on ARC, kudos for having the guts to do what I wanted to but wouldn't :)

She looks mighty fine, and is indeed mighty big.

BTW, mine is planned to be RAAF as well ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aussie747

Pity we can't get them together for a photo op when they are done!

Got some done on the weekend, canards are fitted, Started to paint the seats and have added Lantirn and Litening pylons to the forward lower fuselage robbed from the new Academy F-16CJ kit. Next I will be adding the external tank and weapons pylons. This build is coming along rather quickly when I am attending to it.  Pictures to follow soon.
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Ed S

Looks good so far.  This should be an interesting conversion.  The mating of resin and styrene seems to be going well.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mossie

I've just had a thought, in the Mirage 4000 we've had the Fairey Delta III come to fruition, in a warped round about kind of way.  The Fairey Delta II directly inspired Dassault to build the Mirage III, which led to the Mirage 2000, which in turn led to the Mirage 4000.  So eventually, in a fashion, the FDIII got built, sort of! :thumbsup:

Brain fart over.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: nev on August 03, 2008, 09:41:27 AM
Like I said on ARC, kudos for having the guts to do what I wanted to but wouldn't :)

She looks mighty fine, and is indeed mighty big.

Absolutely agreed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Aussie747

OK,

an update for you folks, Got the canards and gear fitted. Though I need to debond one of the main gear legs as it did not set in the right postion. :banghead:

Other wise it is on track again.

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Aussie747

Got some of the glazing attached. Also added the refueling probe and the Litening and Lantirn pods.

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

sotoolslinger

Excellent concept and awesome execution.  :wub:That is some sweet slashin :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Bryan H.

Beautiful work!  :wub:  :thumbsup: Cain't wait for the finished product!

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk