Tigershark F.3

Started by pyro-manic, July 31, 2008, 09:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

In the early 1980s, it was clear to the British government that the Tornado ADV was not going to be ready for several years, if indeed at all. There were severe delays with several key systems, including the radar and engines, which were not performing as well as needed. There was also concern among senior RAF officers that the ADV did not have the performance needed for a successful interceptor.

It was decided that an interim type would be purchased, and the MoD asked for proposals from several companies, including Dassault and several American firms. Eventually the Northrop F-20 Tigershark was chosen, and a contract was awarded for 40 aircraft, including 8 two-seater versions. The aircraft were slightly modified for RAF service, including British equipment and instrumentation. They were modified to carry up to four Skyflash missiles on the wing pylons, and two 30mm ADEN cannons were mounted in place of the original M39 20mm weapons (which the RAF felt were severely lacking in stopping power). These aircraft formed two interceptor squadrons and an Operational Conversion Unit, replacing the last Lightning F.6s from 1984. They proved very successful in use, and remained in service until the early 2000s, when the Eurofighter Typhoon entered service.

Here's my Tigershark F Mk.3 so far. This build will depict a later aircraft, used to test new weapons and systems for the MoD. There is a prototype PIRATE sensor turret on the nose, in place of the port cannon, and I will add some other sensor blisters and antennae as well. Loadout will be a belly drop tank, wingtip ASRAAMS, and either AMRAAMS or Skyflash under the wings.

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ysi_maniac

This is going to be nice, sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

AeroplaneDriver

Sounds very promising!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Shasper

Which kit are you using mate?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

sotoolslinger

MMMMM I feel a stirring in parts :wacko: ;D :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

pyro-manic

Shasper: Hasegawa 1:72. Nice little kit. :) I'm going to grab another one tomorrow, to do in 74 Squadron markings.  :thumbsup:

A question for anyone else who has built this kit - what do I need to do to get the canopy to sit in the "closed" position? The way the seat is put together, it sticks up too high to allow it to sit flush to the fuselage. I could just hack the offending part off, but I'd prefer something a little less... brutal.

A pic to illustrate:

:huh: :unsure:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Excalibur

Looks good so far, looking forward to the finished result.

Shasper

Yeah I've got a stockpile of those little gems, for the canopy issue I normally dont fit those thingys behind the canopy, you wont see a whole lot behind the headrest when you have the canopy closed anyway.

Looking fwd to seeing this bird finished mate!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Stitch_83

The bits behind the headrest are the canopy actuators!  This kit was made to have the canopy open and looks like it doesn't give an option to close it.  With some cutting and modding, you could probably make it look the biz for a closed canopy.

Stuart