Thinking in the Box, Real World GB?

Started by Mossie, July 25, 2008, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Okay, here's a crazy idea, how about a real world build for a bit of a change?  Several other real world forums have whiff build every now & then, how about us doing some different from the 'norm'?

[Ducks & waits for the sh!t storm.....]

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

I havent done a RW build in a while, but I know some members do them frequently.  I think it might be a decent idea at some point.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

philp

Even more radical, our own version of Silly Week but with RW builds instead of Whiffs?

We could do it at the beginning of the year when ARC does theirs or wait and post them on April 1st.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

Okay, but the model has to be scrupulously researched and contain exactly the right number of rivets.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Damian2

Quote from: puddingwrestler on July 25, 2008, 03:34:46 PM
Okay, but the model has to be scrupulously researched and contain exactly the right number of rivets.

Not to mention the autobiography and medical records for the pilot in question!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

kitnut617

OK we definitely need the falling down, cracked up laughing smiley.  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

nev

I like your thinking - What If silly week.  Build a real model :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

AeroplaneDriver

Part of the fun could be the critiquing of the builds.  The membership would try to find as many faults as possible (in a good natured way).   :lol:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Ed S

You mean we could play JMN for a day!

As long as it doesn't rub off and become permanent.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

lancer

Now this is an idea I could get behind! Brilliant cincept.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

I have TWO REAL WORLD builds being researched, both in the dreaded 1/48th....

UH-1C of the USMC in Vietnam, 1968....got the story behind it sorted....the  crew chase and capture a NVA guy, all good stuff. The first guy out of the Huey forgets his safety harness clip, so jumps out, and is pulled back straight away ...splosh...into the paddy field. The second guy releases his clip, but can't get his gun from under the seat, so chases the NVA guy with a huge machete used for clearing foliage!!

Second is a USN Reserve F6F-5 repainted for use in the film, "Flying Leathernecks", in USMC colours, with rough overpainting of the original markings, clearly seen in flight views, on the ground, etc. Still shots taken from the net, and the dioama has John wayne, F6F-5 and a jeep.

I like it.

I'll finish these two for Telford 2008, so they'll be "ready". For the Quarter Scale stand.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Weaver

I think you'll find that the title of this thread should actually be "Real World G.B.", since correct grammar demands that initials are separated by full stops.

Weaver
Just getting his hand in.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Hey, weave, don't make me invoke the Shatner again..... :lol:

Good response so far, like Nev says, I kind of thought of it as our silly week.  Most people here like real world builds & I haven't done one in a while so it would make a nice change.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

As I do an equal amount of R.W. (nods to Weaver) and What Ifs, this would not be too far a leap for me.... Have to hold my hand up to JMZ tendancies for R.W. stuff - I wont build it unless I can get it 'Right' with a capital 'R'.

Having said that I LUV the idea of good natured hyper-crticism and Jackal Island stylee nit-picking "I think you'll find the propeller manufacturers decals were a quarter-inch nearer the tip than you've placed them, therefore your model cannot be contemplated for judging...."

Bring it on.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

It is funny, I was thinking in this idea this morning. Count on me,  :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.