ASW vulcan

Started by Black Knight, July 22, 2008, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

which ASW vulcan should i build?

8 (72.7%)
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Black Knight

this is my current project in 1/72 and i was wondering if anyone has or knows where i could find a dc-130 nose as i have just ordered an airmodel vacform sheet with one on as an extra. please could you let me know what you think of these two attempts and which is the best looking one?

:tornado:
As The Dark Master rests, the Black Knight protects the New Commonwealth.

Aerotech, Keeping you ahead by any means.

Hobbes

2 is very ungainly, I'd go with option 1.

Black Knight

for 2 i was attempting to re-create a dc-130 nose but if i'm honest i do like the up scaled jag nose on 1

B777LR

No 1 is nicer :thumbsup: It would be nice if there was a MAD boom as well :wub:

Black Knight

im guessing similar to the nimrod?

Black Knight

Black Knight

kitnut617

But what if it had it's regular nose but then had a honking great big radome under it, something like this;
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

I'd build the sensor rig as an insert for the bomb bay (like the F-111 recce pod?), and have a bulge for the radar at the front with a load of torpedoes behind it. add a fairing under each wing containing depth charges, sonobuoys etc as well as extra fuel. Keeps the Vulcan's nice lines that way.  :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Where is the 'neither' button for the vote ?

:blink:

Both are pretty ugly....number one looks a little Russian, but in your second profile with the extra windows she looks a little better. The MAD boom is a neat idea, tho. Also love the idea od some extra stuff in the bomb bay. But then again, where would you put all the weapons ?

The second one looks like the ugly sister of the Valiant. With a little work, tho, the big bulbous nose might make a pretty cool a/c ! Especially id you added a bulb to the tail. But then it might start to look to much like an AEW Nimrod.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

I agree that #1 looks Russian, especially with the MAD boom.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Maverick

Whilst number one is asthetically pleasing (to a point) and number two (who does he work for???  :lol:) is just plain wrong, why bother with buggering about with the nose in the first place?  

As an ASW ship, it needs weather radar at the very least if not some sea-search capability.  Taking a radome underneath is just reinventing the wheel in my opinion.  

If you want some sort of laser/FLIR capability, why not just add the ball off a Viking or Intruder behind the radome.  You would then suggest that the radar was replaced with a better/later unit for the role.  

Maybe add a rack of sonobuoy tubes at the tail end as well as I'm sure they'd squeeze into that area well enough.  That way you've got the bomb-bay free for torps, depth bombs or other assorted goodies and also remember that Vulcan could handle external stores too.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

Further to, and supporting what Maverick posted, the Vulcan and Victor were actually used for the Maritime Radar Recce role (MRR) with a modified version of the standard H2S, so I don't see why you'd need to change the radome at all: just put a Searchwater in it. Sure it doesn't have a 360 deg. view, but then it doesn't on the Nimrod either, and it seems to be operationally acceptable.

There's a manual bomb-aiming position on the Vulcan that's a natural to be replaced with a FLIR turret.

The biggest problem would be automating the ASW avionics to be operated by only three back seaters, although since it was done on the S-3 Viking, it must be possible.

You could have both weapons and sonobuoys in the bomb bay: there's plenty of room. In fact, you could have an avionics pallete in the top of the bomb bay with bomb racks on the bottom of it for torpedoes, DCs and "target marker" bombs (ahem :rolleyes:) and a set of sonobuoy tubes at the back. You'd lose the flexibility of manually loaded launchers, but again, it was done on the S-3.....

A MAD boom on the tail cone is logical, but a more interesting mod might be to have a shorter one on the fin tip like the ASW Tu-142 Bears.......

Interesting project: keep posting!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Black Knight

going to start work on the changes today but i'm unsure about the fuselage plug i added.

Black Knight

added and removed some of the sugestions but i'm unsure how to go about adding the under nose radome suggested by kitnut617. can anyone suggest how i should go about this part?