Mini carriers

Started by Aircav, December 18, 2003, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Hi'
I was in the Works bookshop in Durham this afternoon and picked up a book called Minehunters, Patrol boat and Logistics its got some really good pictures in it one of them being of the Italian San GIORGIO class landing platform and she looks cool, a sort of mini aircraft carrier, all I 've got to do now is find a hull I can use to make a what if of her.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/san_giorgio/

Extend the deck forward a little and bobs your aunt fanny :P

And here is a good ship link page

http://www.navy.mi.th/cvh911/data/link.html
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Geoff_B

What like this ?

Hi Aircav

The Italina Navy are already doing it and have moed the landing craft davits down to clear the flight deck. However these are of limited use as carriers as they onluy have a Vehicle lift to the vehicle deck infront of the landing dock. If you want to build one then get a Tamiya Otsumi or Shimokita as these are large versions of the design (go for Shimokita as it has the vehicle set ), then cut it down to get the length or just adapt the kit as is for an extended version (If you do then Narrow the Island as the JMSDF built it too wide to show its not an Aircraft Carrier - Banned after WWII.

It you want some decent data give us shout as i might have something of interest to you.

Cheers

Thor B)  

Aircav

Ooo!! Sir!  :o  :P  :P  :P yes please  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Geoff_B

JMSDF Mini Carrier

Here's a real mini-carrier project

Libelula

http://www.ships-net.co.jp/detl/200401/136-141e.htm

Very interesping pics here but information in Japanese :o ...Thorvic could you give more information about the projects ilustrated here! :wub:

Thanks a lot :cheers:  

Joe C-P

Quotehttp://www.ships-net.co.jp/detl/200401/136-141e.htm

Very interesping pics here but information in Japanese :o ...Thorvic could you give more information about the projects ilustrated here! :wub:

Thanks a lot :cheers:
This is an extension of their previous Haruna and Shirane class DDHs. Those were built to carry three Sea King ASW helicopters, and to serve as flagships of destroyer groups. This class is a logical extension of that concept, combined with the design of the Osuma class LPHs to make a larger DDH. It would be useful for ASW, helicopter assault, and disaster relief and humanitarian aid.

If you look at the upper right hand picture on the second page, you'll see the original design - a central superstructure across the entire deck, with helo decks fore and aft.

A ship this small won't be able to operate a truly useful number of Harriers or JSFs, plus without the ski-jump they won't be able to take off with a useful load. Still, it has quite a visual impact, and adding a ski-jump wouldn't be very difficult, and could potentially lead to larger aviation vessels. And if Japan does order STOVL JSFs, they might end up on this deck on a trial basis.

I tried downloading the images and blowing them up, but they came out blurry. I'll have to see if I can order the magazine, since I'm very curious about their expected dimensions and capabilities.

They appear to only carry point-defense weapons, like the present DDHs, though there's something on the starboard quarterdeck that I'd like a closer look; it may be a small VLS farm.

The helicopters appear to be H-60Js, except the aftermost one which looks like a Merlin.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.