Source for 1:72 Red Top missiles?

Started by pyro-manic, July 17, 2008, 05:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

I'm looking for some Red Top missiles for a few projects, but there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket sets of them? I found a Lightning resin upgrade set by Flightpath on Hannants, but it only has two Red Tops, and at £14.50 it's just too expensive to justify. Are there any cheap-ish kits with a decent number of missiles (say four or so - I don't fancy having to buy two or three Lightnings just to rob the missiles), or are there any aftermarket sets around that I've missed?

Many thanks,

pyro :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

The old Frog Sea Vixen has four Red Tops AFAIK, you should be able to find the Novo, Eastern Express or Modelcraft boxings pretty easily.

Models for Sale have the Modelcraft boxing for a tenner:
http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42363
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

You could also ask Colin at Freightdog, I believe one of his kits have/will have Red Tops.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

You can pick up Airfix Lightnings very cheaply on ebay if you play your cards right. The Red Tops in them arn't a brilliant  molding, though.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

I am using my Airfix Lightning for my LSR project so if you want the missiles, I can send em to ya.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitbasher

Quote from: Weaver on July 17, 2008, 07:51:04 AM
You can pick up Airfix Lightnings very cheaply on ebay if you play your cards right. The Red Tops in them arn't a brilliant  molding, though.....
Don't Airfix Lightnings only have Firestreaks?  The Hasegawa/Revell/Eastern Express/Frog/Novo/Uncletomcobbleyandall and Matchbox F6s have Red Tops.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

Problem for Pyro is you only get two with the Frog Lightning, so Pyro will have to buy a shed load of Lightnings, unless (like philip), someone can top him up with a few.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

This is my Airfix F.3 which has Red Tops, and IIRC the kit came with Firestreaks too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

gengriz

Red Tops and Firestreaks are fairly simple shapes (cylinder bodies) and therefore really aren't difficult to scratch build in 1/72, provided you can find the right diameter (approx) sprue as a basis.  Fins from plasticard (ice cream tubs, inkjet cartridge packaging etc.- make a cardboard template then try using a sharp pair of scissors to cut them up). 

Weaver

Damn - I've bought so many kits in the last few weeks I'm losing track...... :rolleyes:

Pyro - I've got THREE Airfix F.3s with two Red Tops (no Firestreaks) each. I only need four Red Tops for my Lightning F.13 project, so I can spare you two. With Philip's two, that should sort you out. They're not as bad a molding as I remembered either, just a bit short on surface detail.

PM me if you want them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Doesn't the Matchbox Lightning come with them as well?  IIRC I gave mine to Lee (or Aircav)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May