What-ifing a Danish Draken

Started by Tophe, July 16, 2008, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Further to B777LR's topic ( http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20123.0.html ) turning South-African canard a Saab Draken, I realised I should TRANSFORM also my old Danish Draken (a model I built in 1979, being 15 years old). It is as real now (a little damaged by 4 house changes), and I would like it (her?) to come into the What-if universe of yours. Do you have ideas HOW? Thanks.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

B777LR

Wow, thats nice :wub: :thumbsup: How did you do that awesome paint scheme? :wub:

My suggestions:

A large ECM pod on the tail, sorta like the EF-111 Aardvark and the EA-6 Prowler. You could paint the tail blue and fit special markings, that would look nice (and danish). Furthermore, i suppose some recconosaince pods would look nice. I suppose you like peaceful purpose planes, and the RDAF does a lot of anti pollution work and climate protection. The RDAF currently uses the 3 Challenger 604s for this, but i suppose a bunch of Drakens in Greenland and the Faeroe islands would be of good use :thumbsup:

sotoolslinger

Tophe,the Dragon is one of my favorites. I always wanted to see one with the intakes faired all the way to the nose, other suggestions ,a dog tooth where the wing changes contour, ummmm twin tails? :wub: :wub:
How ever you decide I bet it is cool :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Tophe

Well… I will not destroy my old paint job creating another wing or destroying the current tail. The idea of an electronic big device on the current tail is interesting, but a tubular box pod is not funny/crazy enough for me...
:blink:
I consider installing a circular rotodome… Or simply a T-tail, either with the shape of a reduced wing, or else the shape of a double fin. Among those 3, which one do you prefer?

B777LR

Hmm, id have to go with the bottom one :wub:

John Howling Mouse

I think you had a real winner the moment you mentioned "T-Tail" of course!!   :wub:    I like the way the top version follows the lines of the wing.
How about adding some small canards up by the intakes?

However, this is unusually symmetrical, don't you think?  I know you don't want to mess up your existing paintjob by modifying wings, etc. but do you recall the
F-16XL's assymmetrical wing lay-out?  I could always send you a new Draken to model along those lines.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Rafael

Masterfully done camo!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks sooo exotic and business-looking.

I liked the first T-tail, the one with the draken-planform looks.

Excellent model, Tophe!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Julhelm

Fit it with flipout canards as per the J-35X proposal and perhaps a refueling boom?
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

sotoolslinger

I like the bottom one, and canards :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Tophe

so... the top one received 2 votes and the bottom one received 2 votes, I hesitate. I think I will do the bottom one, more easy for my poor skills.
Alas my printer is in a jam and it will not be easy to transfer the shape from my computer to the plastic sheet. I will try, I hope, before December.
Thanks you all.

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on July 23, 2008, 12:05:55 PM
I will try, I hope, before December.
There will be delay, this will be done probably in 2009. I will have to order paint too.
Question: is the green-black (or black-green) the Enamel Humbrol Matt #91? (I used the same as for German aircraft 1940-45 wings, dark part of camouflage). May somebody confirm before I order? Thanks.

B777LR

Matt 91 is just about right, yes. Looking forwards to this, master Tophe :thumbsup:

What kit is this? I have never seen a Draken with that kind of nose :huh:

Tophe

Thanks, I just received Sky-Blue and Gloss-Black to finish my Twin-Knight-2 next week, and Gold to finish my XFY-163 Poget next month. I will not make another order immediately maybe. Thanks anyway, dear. -_-

Edit: this is a Heller kit, with choice betwwen 3 noses, this is the reco one if I remember this built (1979! were you born?)

B777LR

Quote from: Tophe on November 16, 2008, 10:26:24 AM
Thanks, I just received Sky-Blue and Gloss-Black to finish my Twin-Knight-2 next week, and Gold to finish my XFY-163 Poget next month. I will not make another order immediately maybe. Thanks anyway, dear. -_-

Edit: this is a Heller kit, with choice betwwen 3 noses, this is the reco one if I remember this built (1979! were you born?)

I was born in 1991, so that kit is much older than me :lol:

Sauragnmon

*jumps up from his desk in the back shoving his hand in the air*

I have an idea!  It's not quite the T-Tail thought, but why not make an inverted V-frame behind the canopy, mounting a radome, but instead of a circular one like the E-2, use the teardrop-style non-rotating design, shape it somewhat like a lifting body to counteract the weight effect, and you could go from there.  Granted with the extra electronics load, you'd have to go a notch further and make it a two-hole cockpit, so you'd have the radar operator in the back seat, but you could settle for simply Elluding to it, with a slight resculpt to suggest it, put in a tinted window or such, a radar operator wouldn't need excessive visibility, and go from there.

That, and you could keep the colour scheme relatively with only minor adjustment, as you'd be mounting the frame and linking the aft part to the tail.  It might have merits, I thought you might think it outlandish enough for you.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.