American Messerschmitt

Started by sotoolslinger, July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Frankly I had no intention of building this when I woke up. Reading material in the little boys room is of course , research material .While reading the B volume of my Encyclopedia of Weapons and Warfare I came opon the Bf -109 entry and once again read it. Now look,I have never really cared for the 109 (yes I just ducked) Sorry to all you fans out there but after about '40 it was obsolete and never really was a good fighter.The Focke-Wulf was entirely superior. The Bf-109 was relatively unmanuverable, had crappy visibility , was short ranged, and according to those who flew it , was dangerous and heavy on the controls while having a cramped cockpit.
I suddenly wondered why I had 3 models of this airplane that I didn't really care for..... well it's really cool looking. ;D Let's face it that is a sexy aircraft. :wacko: But I can make it better. :wacko: :wacko:
So ... long wing span(more gas and lower wing loading) Bubble canopy, better control surfaces (with effin trim tabs)
Here it begins

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ysi_maniac

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM
So ... long wing span(more gas and lower wing loading) Bubble canopy, better control surfaces (with effin trim tabs)

Good start, indeed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

bexwh773

Now this does look interesting, cracking start so far  :thumbsup:

Bex

P.S: Just so dont feel alone, I agree entirely of your view of the 109, many post war War Bird display pilots have been killed by this flying death trap, along with many a War Time Luftwaffe Pilot too. A pretty little aeroplane though  :thumbsup:
Becky aka Bex

sotoolslinger

Thanks ya'll
Bex I actually had the opportunity to see a 109 at a Confederate Air Force event many years ago, they offered to let me sit in it but I am 6' and I frankly didn't want to try  it. ;D
They must have picked little fellers to fly those.
I amuse me.

Weaver

Nope - I agree about the 109 too: never liked them, but then I'm not a big Spitfire fan either (waits for the bolt of lightning......).

I have however, accidentally acquired a 109, which is going to be "fixed" too, at some point fairly soon.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sotoolslinger

Unofficial "Fix the 109"GB????Anybody in?
I amuse me.

HOG

Gotcha, and only on the 5th post. I might be able to keep up with this one.
109GB I`m in. I`m sure I can stick somthing on other than a radial. Single turbo butterfly tail swept wings........
oh no wait I`ve done that.
What kit is that? looks a bit G-14ish and whose canopy is that, if its 48th it might work on my 109X
A nice start there, and will try to follow progress
Cheers  :drink:
Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

PanzerWulff

Be sure to fix one of the Bf-109's biggest faults (and the spitfire's too i might add) the narrow track of the landing gear. from what I have read they were bolth prone to the "ground loop" which aircraft like the Fw-190 ,hurricane,mustang and thunderbolt Did not have a problem with due to the much wider spacing of their landing gear.esp where your'e legenthining the wing span  :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
PS I happen to like the 109 esp the G and later marks but I love the 190 :wub:
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

sotoolslinger

All right then first some pics
Original wingspan with new wings

Panzer as you can see I did in fact reverse the landing gear

They are now wide track courtesy of the donor kit.
Now we have to get into full disclosure.Hog the 109 kit is an ARII 109G  but it doesn't give which mark of G

The canopy.....A6M2 ZERO

So are the new wings..... and the tail.... and the horizontal stabs
Hey I looked through the stash and that was the closest to the original shapes while still looking all Messerschmitty
I amuse me.

HOG

Hiya SoTool,
Thanks for the info. Now I have by bifocal bottle bottoms on I can see the 190 tail which I took to be the 109tall tail before.
And by looking at the 2nd photo I can see you`ve wide tracked your undercart,............. and the model looks OK too ;D
Cheers  :drink:
Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

B777LR

Wow, i love this build! :wub: Just a slight request though, do it as a Japanese plane :thumbsup:

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 16, 2008, 08:39:44 AM
Unofficial "Fix the 109"GB????Anybody in?

Sorry, but i find that the Bf-109, and especially the G and K, were awesome planes. The only real setback was the horrible performance during landing (happened as late as the airshow in Berlin last month), and the lack of a bubble canopy, as well as a slow production.
The Bf-109 was the perfect example of an aircraft that could evolve from a state of the art modern fighter in 1938, into a modern top notch fighter in 1945. The P-40, Wildcat, Zero, Macchi 200, Hurricane and MiG-3 were outdated by 1941. The Bf-109 was an excellent aircraft, in its own niche, it just had a few flaws. The P-38 and P-51 had flaws as well.

Other than that, i would love a "Bf-109 GB" :wub: (Bf-109G-14 mit bubble canopy und 4 bladed prop und streched wings for high altitude und larger tail :wub:)

sotoolslinger

Hog, the tail is from a Mitsubishi with a dorsal fin extension added.
B37 UMMMMM wouldn't that just make it a slightly modified Ki-61?
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Wow with THREE Me-109s I'm surprised you didn't biplane one of them! A biplane 109 is pretty killer, especially if you add spats! :wub:

You're off to an excellent start, Toolslinger! Using the Zero canopy and wings is truly inspired!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

BdaB you are a horrible little man ;D What I don't have enough projects going at one time ? :wacko: Now you have to throw out a bi 109  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ;D :lol: :rolleyes: :blink:
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

This should give you some ideas, Toolslinger.
(not mine though)
Brian da Basher