BP Defiant: Fighter Concept

Started by seavixen, July 08, 2008, 12:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seavixen

Sadly, due to ill health, it's been a long time since I last posted on here. Anyhoo, I'm on the mend now so on to the matter in hand.
This is my take on a Boulton Paul Defiant fighter concept. So far, I've made a start at remodelling the fuselage having reacquainted myself with white Milliput. The canopy I'm using is the malformed effort from the Hobby Boss Typhoon. I've also started on the wings and so far have boxed in the rather empty looking wheel wells.

Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Brian da Basher

It's great to see you back on What-If seavixen and I hope you're feeling better. I've always had a soft spot for Boulton-Paul Defiant fighter concepts and took a stab at it a while back. I've no doubt you'll be able to improve upon my efforts.

Brian da Basher

seavixen

Thanks Brian, it's good to be back among the land of the living! That's a nice Defiant you've made there but one question.......

WHERE ARE THE SPATS?

;D

sotoolslinger

Seavixen, happy your feeling better ;D I also love those planes and am looking forward to this build. Would you please post what brand and type of base kit you are using?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

Now you know you have to put spats on yours, just for the envy potential !

seavixen

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 08, 2008, 01:18:44 PM
Seavixen, happy your feeling better ;D I also love those planes and am looking forward to this build. Would you please post what brand and type of base kit you are using?

Thanks sotoolslinger. I'm actually using the re-issued Airfix kit as a base and I'm just going to embellish what I have with some Milliput and a lot of plasticard. I won't be using the rather nasty original prop/spinner, I have a decent replacement sitting in the spares box!

Quote from: cthulhu77 on July 08, 2008, 01:19:22 PM
Now you know you have to put spats on yours, just for the envy potential !

I would but I already have other plans!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

Hey, seavixen, good to have you back!!!

I'm sure this styrene therapy will be the perfect thing.

This is a great start. C'mon, anything BP and with bubbletop canopy should be a real looker!!! :wub: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

ysi_maniac

^^^^^^ I absolutely agree in every term. :wub: :thumbsup: :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:
Will die without understanding this world.

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

It's good to be adding new material to your archive folder on my PC, seavixen. This one is already looking very fine.  Just one (mildly strange) question:
Why do you call the pics "PostalOrderxx"?   -_-
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

seavixen

Postal Order? ah, well that's just the remnants of a little joke between my wife and I! Nothing to do with the Defiant pics at all really.  :thumbsup:

pyro-manic

Looking very sleek so far! I look forward to more progress. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gary

Wonderful looking indeed! Is it possible to accurately estimate the speed and performance of that bird in the configuration you building her in. She looks so sleek like a fighter, but yet aggressive like an attack bomber or tank killer.
Very nicely done job of fairing in the back. Looks great.
Getting back into modeling

seavixen

Just a lickle update!

Quick test fit of the wings and I was right, it's just as bad as I remembered from my previous Defiants!
I've used Milliput to completely cover the original ailerons, it only takes a short blast with the Dremel to remove the excess and reshape them. The intention is to rescribe new larger ailerons and flaps.
The cockpit area was a complete fluke, I cut away the front cockpit and made a big rectangular lump of Milliput, placed it roughly over the now enlarged cockpit hole and used a wet finger to fair it into the existing fuselage. Then when it was drying, I got the canopy and forced it down into the Milliput. Remove the canopy and you have a nice clearly marked area to rework.