Instrument Panels 1-2-3

Started by Scooterman, July 04, 2008, 12:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

I just did this for my Profile GB F-8 and thought that somebody might think this is neat so I thought I'd pass this along.  Here's the major players.  This is 1/72 but works for all scales.

Scooterman

We have a bottle of clear orange for the radar display.  This could also be green or blue.  I forgot to include the white to back the dials.  Then a .01 black marker, and a lead holder (pencil) with .05 lead.  The beer cap holds Future to gloss the dials.

First step is to paint the panel the cockpit color.  Then use the .01 marker to color in all the dials.  This also works for doing the sidewall panels.  (I didn't take any in-progress pics so please mind the final look).  After a bit of practice and a very light hand you can just touch the raised areas to get the color down.

Scooterman

Next is to use the pencil and white paint to touch the required dials.  The reason for the pencil is two fold.  First, the size is just about perfect to place the white on the dials without too much slop.  Second is after a few dabs of white, too much paint collects on the end.  Just snap off the dirty tip, and you have a clean applicator!  Once all the white is done, you can use the pencil clean and just scrape the overruns.  Repeat using orange (or whatever) for your radar or CRT displays, then again with the Future to gloss the dials.

Scooterman

And that's it!  Easy huh?  Thanks for looking!

Ed S

Thanks.  The idea of using the pencil to apply color looks very useful.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

Interesting - I shall be attempting this on my FA-5K shortly.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Tried it and buggered it up - nothing wrong with the technique, but I just DON'T have steady enough hands: end of...... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones