Profiles GB - Build 1 French Mig-21

Started by Damian2, July 02, 2008, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian2

Hi All

I'm going to try and build two Migs inspired by Gekko1's (Richard) profile one French and the other SAAF for all those (Overkiller) who demand it  ;D for the What-If board's "Profile Tribute GB"

The French Mig:

So for the first time in ages here are some in progress pics!!

1. The obligatory box shot

2. Glued the fronts to back BEFORE putting them together, thanks for the tips guys!!

3. Busying up the cockpit, here I've taken inspiration from Blackops while carrying this out...man am I rusty!

4. All that I got done between jobs today, I want to add more to the pit before I slap on paint. I'm still toying with the idea of an in-flight model

5. The decal and weapons donor :)

So there you go guys. Any thoughts and opinions welcome!!

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

BlackOps

Looks like your off to a good start, Nice to see you back in action!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

B777LR

Cooooool :wub: :thumbsup: :tornado:

A bit off topic, but do you have any Mirage III or Mirage 2000 wings? If so, could you fit them with tape to the MiG-21 fuselage, so we can see a delta -21? :unsure: Thanks :thumbsup: :o

:cheers:

PS: the Academy MiG-21 landing gear is horrible, especially the rear landing gear legs. Do it gear up :thumbsup:

Damian2

Hi all!!

Was a little tired after my 4.4 hour round flight to Mossel Bay and back so all I've done is complete my cockpit greeblies, prep the pilot (by cutting the poor man's legs off!) and mocking everything up for comments! I'm going in-flight with this kit as I like the gearless look.

1. Starboard side showing off the gasbag ans AS.30L laser guided missile

2. Head on shot showing of all the kit including the ECM thingamajig Mk.3 (or if its French does it make it the majigthinga Mk.3??)

3. Mr. Pilotman in his office filled with greeblies because I'm not bothered with accuracy just "coolness"

4. The following is for B777LR's request to mock up the kit with MirIII wings to show a delta Mig

Thats all for now ;) As always thoughts, critisism and abuse welcomed!

D

B777LR

Ohhh, those delta fishbeds are sexy :o Another one on my list of future to-do model!

Oh and the MiG-21 looks lovely with big missiles :thumbsup:

Brian da Basher

I really like the look of those canards! A nice pointy shock cone would compliment them well.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Ooo, ooo, ooo, that last pic....I nearly pumped out a Kubelwagon when I saw that: do that one, do that one!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Damian2

Both will be stright MIG-21s wearing different colours, markings and weapons :)

I got more done today but the camera's battery is re-charging so I'll post pics later on..

D

ps. once I get my skills closer to Eddie M I'd like to do the delta cannard MIG oh yes...

Damian2

Hi all!!

Here's the promised pics :)

1. Mr. Pilotman i his office chair, with his stick (control) in hand. I'm keeping him faily plain and simple.

2. In his office. I've got it all painted up and dirty. I really didn't spend too much time here as you won't really see anything once its buttoned up. Most of what I did was more for practicing my atrophied skills than making a "busy" cockpit.

3. Overheadinsh shot...

4. Front 3/4 beauty shot...glam baby, glam

5. 'Pit without the pilot and chair in, the detail is obviously fictional :)

6. A little bit more of the instruments...

7. Assembled empenage and tail, AS.30L and gasbags. As you can see I'm modding the one gasbag to carry an in-flight refueling reseptical. Saw this on a 50's USAF fighter and liked the idea as a way of increasing the MIG's short little legs :)

8. Overview of all the parts

So there you go! Any hints, tips, suggestions or mild spankings welcome 

D

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Just one thing...... The MiG 21 carries its' droptanks on the outboard pylons, but then it is a What If, so who knows, eh ?

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Damian2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 07, 2008, 01:38:19 PM
Just one thing...... The MiG 21 carries its' droptanks on the outboard pylons, but then it is a What If, so who knows, eh ?

Ian

Well you know the French, they have to do EVERYTHING different  ;D

Damian2

*UPDATE*

All the assembly and PSR is done, I've hit all the major seams like where the fuselages mate but I've promised myself I'm not going to get all JMN about it and try to fiddle with the minor ones like in the afterburner section or the little part in the intake. Life and let live and HAVE FUN! Now on to the pics!!

1. All the major parts are added. I know, I know those pitot tubes are going to be a mission but I wanted a good strong bond between the base and the mounting point.

2. JHM inspired door inserts, need to practice his methodology a little more but worked like a charm!

3. Over exposed head on :)

4. Last overview shot displaying the bits that may become my nemesi during the painting stage...

Now its waiting for the glue to cure. Thereafter its installing the HUD and masking and installing the canopy and windshield before taking it to the paintshop :)

D

ps. forgot to add that the gasbags and AS.30L are still in the PSR booth...

Gary

I love the office. I am glad too that you choose the traditional MiG layout rather than the delta configuration. I just finished reading the book on MiG 21 and they discussed the real dislike the Tsagi had for the full delta. They had looked at the layout (no mention of canards) and saw low speed handling problems in it. Don't get me wrong here, I love Mirage full deltas as much as the next fella, however keeping some truth to an airframe makes things seem more real to me.
Getting back into modeling

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ooooohhhhh, now there's a brave man...... I understand why you've added the pitots before painting, but d*mn you gonna need a bucket of Cyano on permanant standby while you're masking it  :o

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Damian2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 10, 2008, 12:52:17 PM
Ooooohhhhh, now there's a brave man...... I understand why you've added the pitots before painting, but d*mn you gonna need a bucket of Cyano on permanant standby while you're masking it  :o

Ian

Tell me about it...getting cold sweats thinking about it...to late now...must press on!

D