Rafale for Profile Tribute

Started by Ed S, June 29, 2008, 04:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

I've decided to go with Doudou's Jordanian Rafale. 

Here's the profile

and here's the address

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16640.150.html

This is what I'm starting with.  I had done this work previously, so I await a ruling from the moderators on whether this is too far along to be allowed.  The only major difference from the profile is that this is a single seater instead of the two holer in the profile.  Plus, I think I'll have it with an A-G weapons load.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

To me, the focus of this GB is on the modeler's re-creation of a graphic profile more than it is on the build-up of plastic but I'll I'll check with Ian for his opinion (if he's available).

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ed S

A quick update.  Haven't worked on this much since the start of the GB.  But I sprayed a coat of primer this weekend.  It looks pretty good. The PSR is finished.  I should start the paint job this week.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ed S

Nev, it's the 1/72 Heller kit.  Not a great kit, with some fit problems around the intakes and wing roots.

Ed

Ed S

Here's a shot of the cockpit. After I took this, I realized I needed to touch up the gray on the seat headrest.  Too much handling and some of the paint had rubbed off.  I now since glued on the canopy and will get it masked tomorrow.

Ed

Damian2

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ed S

I've made some progress on my Rafale.  The lower color, light gray, the upper base of sand and the brown have all been applied.  Next will be the dark green.

Ed

PolluxDeltaSeven

I suppose that it's to late for that, but I wanted to told you that your model is the prototype, not a serial aircraft. The canopy is smaller and it lacks the electronic pod at the tail's tip.

I told you that just in case you wanted to add this electronic pod. But you could keep it like that: I always thought that the Rafale A could be a good base for a downgraded variant of the Rafale (just like the Mirage 5 was a downgraded Mirage IIIE)

But by the way, you model is very cool, especially if we remember that Heller's Rafale A isn't a really good model (but not the worst either).

Beautiful work, keep showing it! ;)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Ed S

Quote from: PolluxDeltaSeven on August 25, 2008, 02:33:03 PM
I suppose that it's to late for that, but I wanted to told you that your model is the prototype, not a serial aircraft. The canopy is smaller and it lacks the electronic pod at the tail's tip.

I told you that just in case you wanted to add this electronic pod. But you could keep it like that: I always thought that the Rafale A could be a good base for a downgraded variant of the Rafale (just like the Mirage 5 was a downgraded Mirage IIIE)

But by the way, you model is very cool, especially if we remember that Heller's Rafale A isn't a really good model (but not the worst either).

Beautiful work, keep showing it! ;)

Thanks. 

Yes, I was aware that it was the prototype.  I didn't want to do the prototype scheme and didn't want to do all the work necessary to make it a production bird.  So why not just put on a cool camo and see how it looks.

Ed

Ed S

I know this GB is coming to a close soon.  I have finished painting the camo on the Rafale.  Still need to paint the radome.  Decals should be on by this weekend.

Ed

Ed S

Finished.  Here's my completed Rafale.

The profile view.

Top Side

Underside

And an aft quarter view.

Ed

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Love the aircraft, love the colour scheme, love the loadout...... Luvvit !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)