SAAF Gripen

Started by Roger the Cabin Boy, June 28, 2008, 09:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger the Cabin Boy

This kit was completed to primer stage, and then taken in a crate as hold luggage for finishing off at Scooterman's  modeling room, in time for the Dallas Scalefest show.  The theme for the SAAF display being the 'Flying Cheetahs' - a complete lineup of the Squadron's type history, the Gripen representing the future of this elite unit. 

Some detailed subtle differences of the D model were added, the most obvious being blade aerials on the tail. There were also two small spine aerials, these being put in place with PVA.  Brad knew his Gripens better than me, and recommended a few other subtle D model modifications. These were a modified APU, with the hole to the port side of the tail filled in, and a bump for the nearby replacement raised doors, added with milliput and painted, along with a tiny blob of milliput for the GPS receiver on the fairing behind the canopy. References were a recent Air Forces Monthly, and some nice photos over on the image base of the Gripen website.  http://www.gripen.com/en/index.htm   But as usual, the definitive reference appeared after the model was finished.  :rolleyes: In this case, International Air Power Review Vol 24. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

GTX

Nice work.

Makes me wonder about some of the other selections the SAAF could have made instead of the Gripen (not that I disagree with their choice):

F-16;
F-18C or E/F;
Rafale;
Typhoon;
Su-27.

Interesting possibilities.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Patrick H

Looks cool. Oh and btw, I want more pictures 'and bigger if possible  :thumbsup:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

sotoolslinger

Looking awful.....SWEET.  :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Damian2

She beautiful as always Rodger!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Roger the Cabin Boy

Quote from: Patrick H on June 28, 2008, 12:33:20 PM
Looks cool. Oh and btw, I want more pictures 'and bigger if possible  :thumbsup:

First time the pic was waaay too big.  Need to know the optimum size for posting.

Roger the Cabin Boy

Full feature and more pics now on the IPMS SA site. 

http://newsite.ipmssa.za.org/content/view/389/45/

Scooterman's next up there with his photo etch photo build 48th version.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Quote from: Roger the Cabin Boy on June 28, 2008, 09:50:23 PM
Quote from: Patrick H on June 28, 2008, 12:33:20 PM
Looks cool. Oh and btw, I want more pictures 'and bigger if possible  :thumbsup:

First time the pic was waaay too big.  Need to know the optimum size for posting.

800-1000 pixels wide. Any wider and you end up having to scroll sideways to see the entire pic.

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on June 28, 2008, 12:32:30 PM
Nice work.

Makes me wonder about some of the other selections the SAAF could have made instead of the Gripen (not that I disagree with their choice):

F-16;
F-18C or E/F;
Rafale;
Typhoon;
Su-27.

Interesting possibilities.

Regards,

Greg

How about Mirage 2000?
MiG-29 / MiG-35
F-15K

Scooterman

Quote from: B777LR on June 29, 2008, 04:54:20 AM
How about Mirage 2000?

In the works!

Roger the Cabin Boy

You must be real busy on the workbench right now...   ;D

PolluxDeltaSeven

QuoteHow about Mirage 2000?
The Mirage 2000 was the "natural" choice for the SAAF, after the Mirage III and F1.
Dassault's proposal was a multirole Mirage 2000-5, similar to what became the Mirage 2000-9 but they lose against the Gripen.

Some said that was because the multirole Gripen was already done, while the "Mirage 2000-9" existed only on paper. But some other told that it was also a question of corruption and/or price.

Whatever, the Mirage 2000, alongside with the Rafale and Typhoon, could be a good what-if for SAAF.

And by the way, this Gripen model is very well done!
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story