Bell /Rolls Royce CobraJet

Started by sotoolslinger, June 23, 2008, 01:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

The best way to get out of the post build depression..... build something  ;D

With the success of aircraft like the Hellstorm and P-78 Charger not to mention the Superbolt  Bell found orders for the P-39 and P-63  being cancelled even from the Russians . They knew that to have any chance at future aircraft orders they would have to come up with not just a superior airframe but something spectacular.

Rolls Royce had lost the interest of the British govt as a manufacturer of piston engines except to license build  engines from other manufactures. Whipple had defected to the Republic of Texas but Messerschmitt had brought new design technology from Germany and the Southern Commonwealth Allies had captured secret projects from the Axis.
Bell approached RR with a private project to be built in Canada

The original design was to utilize a turboprop/ jet combo to maximize speed and range
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Arc3371

Looks interesting, have you made a prebuild skiss?

sotoolslinger

Huh :blink: I don't know what a skiss is :huh: :huh:
I really just put the shapes together
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

That is insane. It make me jealous that I didn't think of something like that. :thumbsup: :ph34r: :cheers:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Arc3371

Damn my Swenglish, I meant sketch

sotoolslinger

Thanks Eddie and Arc . ARC , Oh hell no. ;D I really just work entirely out of my head. If I could sketch out my ideas I would learn to be a profiler. :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Eddie M. on June 23, 2008, 01:43:56 PM
That is insane. It make me jealous that I didn't think of something like that. :thumbsup: :ph34r: :cheers:
   Eddie

Me too, Eddie. Mr Toolslinger is one of the group of geniuses that fills me with severe whiff-envy.

I bet you guys have meetings huh?
;)
Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sotoolslinger

Thanks AD guy. BdaB at first that seems like a good idea but can you imagine the amount of scrap plastic flying through the air if  all us kitbashers were to meet with a pile of model kits between us ;D ;D ;D ;D
I amuse me.

Jeffry Fontaine

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like you all to please take a moment to reflect on the sacrifice that was made by the three 1/48th scale P-51D Mustangs which volunteered to become a major source of parts for this project.  Never have so many given up so much for a single purpose. 

Thank you,
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

Actually just to be entirely correct ,.... that is a Testors, a Monogram and an ICM( :blink:) Mustang some bought for the Mstang and 1 just bought for the FFAR pods. The Testors  with the rocket pods is the model that got me back into modeling after some 15 years as I found out that my father in laws father BUILT P-51's at the plant in Dallas. ;D :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I built him my best effort for Christmas one year .Next time I get down to Mason ,TX.  I will take pics. ;D
I have not built an OOB SINCE. :wacko:
I amuse me.

Arc3371

It certainly looks to be an interesting aircraft, so will it be WW2 fighter or post war CAS?

sotoolslinger

ARC in my backstory where the US dosen't enter the war till late it will be a WW 2  fighter, but all my technology is 2-5 years ahead of reality. I had invisioned this to be a transitional design with a turbo-prop-turbo jet combo but I think that it will be a pure jet by the time it gets to operational status. ;D
I amuse me.

Arc3371

Looking forward to see it develop

sotoolslinger

Well my little painting buddy also likes to watch me build ;D

The major sub- assemblies are done and puttied but the wings are not actually attached for ease of PSR

Take note please of the intakes

I am torn as to whether to leave the early primitive sticking out look or blend the top intake in with putty.
Right now they all match. Originally I had planned this as a turbo-prop jet combo like a P-81 but I may write the prop out in the backstory and make it a pure jet

I also went ahead and installed the T-tail since it shouldn't interfere with PSR.

I have another question .The F-86 model comes with nice underwing  drop tanks, should I make them into tip tanks?
I amuse me.