E.E. E.54/13 Research Aircraft

Started by Glenn, December 12, 2003, 06:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

This aircraft was designed and built to test the wing for the new proposed Lightning Interceptor for the RAF. To test the wing for 'slow flying', this single engine Testbed was designed, using the wings, tailplane and cockpit, from the P.1 design. The engine, a R.R. Avon giving a maxium speed of 156 knots.
This Research aircraft proved useful and was used in 35 flight tests. After retirement from Biggen Hill it was placed in storage at R.A.F. Cosford, and then it was taken to the Strathallan Air Museum
                                        Perthshire/ Scotland (where it is today)
The last time I saw it, it was parked near the 'Flying Bedstead'

The model is 1/72sc. built from Airfix wings and E/green tubing, bog and a few four letter words!

John Howling Mouse

Is...that...a...

T-Tail

by

any

chance?!

:wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Dear Lyn, dear JHM, dear you all,
nice bird, but... I am sorry I don't feel as enthusiast about this model of Lyn as I would be for a twin-boomer of her, but JHM's note made me think of the connection between the T-tail World and the 2-boom World : the T T plane ! It was featured in a Mad Max movie, as "what if airplanes would be like that, in another Universe ?" Though the Benett/Waitomo/Transavia Airtruck have been manufactured for real, during many years...
See that peculiar layout from http://www.maketorama.co.yu/gallery/makete...te_ikar2001.htm  :)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Ollie

Yep, Australian aircraft, Aero Truck or something like that.  Used to spray crops. And it's not a What-If!

elmayerle

QuoteYep, Australian aircraft, Aero Truck or something like that.  Used to spray crops. And it's not a What-If!
Though the paint job and armament are. :)
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

lancer

Very cool paint job, but WHAT armament??? I can't see any, but I am half blind though
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Tophe

Story of the T T bird... :
Benett PL.11 Airtruk (New Zealand) monoplane : 3-seater for agriculture, PL = Pellarini Luigi (designer), 1 prototype
Transavia PL-12 Airtruk (Australia, home of our dear Lyn - so this is not out of the subject here...) biplane : 1st flight 1965, more than 120 copies have been built, for agriculture or transport or military (COIN).
Derivatives : PL-12U, PL-12 M300, ML-12 MIL, PL-12 550T, Skyfarmer T-300/300A/320/400
Benett changed name into Waitomo.
The Transavia PL-12 has been built in New-Zealand also by Barr Brothers (from Flight Engineers)
Up to 6 people per plane
What if this Twin-T had been a worldwide success ? JHM and me would be happy...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

QuoteVery cool paint job, but WHAT armament??? I can't see any, but I am half blind though
Not visible directly in the pic, but look at the drawings under the model.  B)  

Ollie

Evan, where do you see weapons on that drawing???

lancer

:lol:  :lol: Oh yeah  :dum:  :dum: !!! Must've been all that glaring at JMN's that made me miss it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

elmayerle

QuoteEvan, where do you see weapons on that drawing???
Look at the underside view with the launch tubes under the center section.

Ollie

That's no armament!  That's from where they spray the chemicals!!  And it's got a civilian registration, eh.

Check this picture from Jane's All the World Aircraft 1979-1980.

elmayerle

QuoteThat's no armament!  That's from where they spray the chemicals!!  And it's got a civilian registration, eh.

Check this picture from Jane's All the World Aircraft 1979-1980.
The underfuselage equipment appears differently to me.  The drawing with the model shows what appear to be a brace of launch tubes.  The pic from JAWA shows something to drive the sprayer and the usual spray bar.

I could be wrong but what's on the drawing looks more like rocket tubes than any agricultural dispersal systems I've seen (on Cessna AgWagons etc.).

Ollie

Remember, it's an Australian plane!  I reckon it's not like on my friend's Pawnee, but I don't see a spray bar under the wings either.  Maybe the drawing the guy did is wrong, eh?

elmayerle

QuoteRemember, it's an Australian plane!  I reckon it's not like on my friend's Pawnee, but I don't see a spray bar under the wings either.  Maybe the drawing the guy did is wrong, eh?
The JAWA pic shows a spray bar under the fuselage.