K

633 Squadron Mosquito

Started by K5054NZ, June 22, 2008, 02:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

Hi all!

Doneski! Not perfect, but I had fun, and she looks like HJ662 to me!

And, just for fun and atmosphere, some shots with another late, lamented filmstar mossie: T.III RR299/G-ASKH.

And hey - she's a whiff as a) there was never a real 633 Sqn, 2) I don't believe any Mossie wore the serial HJ662 when produces, and iii) HT was the squadron code for a Spitfire squadron!

So there! Real-World, but whiff! Enjoy.

sequoiaranger

You can churn these babies out!

I love the "bullet holes". And you have done them "correctly"  by making them jagged and scattered around (as opposed to in a line and neatly rounded). However, I noticed that the left side did not have any bullet-holes! Bullets or flak go THROUGH aircraft, and would have appropriate holes out the other side!

Did I notice "my" serials on the plane?  <_<

For exhaust stains, I would suggest using artist's "charcoal" sticks rubbed on fine sandpaper, then the dust brushed on for a pale, clouded effect.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Patrick H

Like you said, not perfect but it looks good. Offcours, Mosquito's always look good  ;D

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

r16

ı had read the book as if it was an real account . Which Spitfire squadron used the codes ?

Patrick H

According to the spitfire society, http://www.spitfiresociety.demon.co.uk/squadron.htm, HT was used by 154 Sqn, They used Spits II, V, VII and IX.
They also used the code HG

Regarding the fact that no mossie ever flew with HJ662, I found this on the net @ http://www.vicflintham.co.uk/post-war-military-aircraft/mosquito/mosquito.html

QuoteFB Mark VI The Mark VI was developed from the NF Mk II but with provision for four 250lb bombs (series 1) in addition to the eight gun armament or four 500lb bombs (series 2). Alternatively extra fuel could be carried. Series 2 aircraft also featured the Merlin 25 engine. The prototype was HJ662 a converted NF Mk II (DZ434/G) which first flew on 1 June 1942.

Also, in the book, Mosquito Squadrons in Focus, written by Phillip Birtles and published by Red Kite/Air research in 2005, there is more info about HJ662. Seems that this aircraft was used in action, making an effectifve ground attack and, fiited with undering RP, even an anti shipping aircraft.

Just shows that even if you thinbk a serial isn't used on the real thing, one can easily make a mistake here  :rolleyes:
My webpage

sotoolslinger

Cool deal ,I also love skeeters :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

K5054NZ

Thanks Patrick! I stand pleasantly corrected!  :thumbsup:

Hehe same here STS - why else would you buy seven Mossie kits, from diff manufacturers and scale, in three weeks?  :drink:

Nick

There's a good chance my Gran (sadly departed) had something to do with building that Mosquito...... She worked at the Hatfield factory during the war and we have some pictures of her and friends at a works picnic.

Patrick H

QuoteThanks Patrick! I stand pleasantly corrected!

My pleasure, Lots of info to be found on the net.

:cheers:
My webpage

r16

sorry for the delay , but thanks to Patrick H for the information and K5054NZ for the model as it has led me to a profitable research .