AW101/EH101

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 22, 2008, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

im suprised i havent found a topic here about this, there are so many potential export customers and whiff to be made for this helicopter.

lets see:
-Belgium (12, 10 to replace the seaking and a a CSAR/trasport role + 2 to replace the allouette III)
-Netherland (dropped out of the NH90 program, bought 15 to replace the lynx and 20 to replace the Cougar)
-Norway, sweden & finland (as the new nordic standard helicopter)
-Spain (36 to replace the Puma & UH-1's)
-India (24 to replace the seaking)
-US Navy/marines (250, to replace the seaking & CH-46)
-Australia (20, to replace the SH-2G's and UH-1H's)
-Taiwan (why not  ;D)

here's a promotinal image, it was posted in the 2003 koksijde airshow program booklet, itwas from before the BDF/AC selected the NH90, belgium had an intention of buying 22 of them (18 for troop transport + 4 naval versions)

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Nils on June 22, 2008, 09:02:06 AM-US Navy/marines (250, to replace the seaking & CH-46)
With Canada receiving all of the surplus CH-46 when the upgrade is completed. 

Does the EH-101 have the same performance as the CH-46?  As far as lift capacity?  It looks so much smaller than the CH-46, guess that is due to the more traditional rotor configuration.  Odd that it is slated to replace the CH-46 since I was under the impression that the V-22 was to perform that role. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Hobbes

It's pretty big in person. The max. payload is twice that of the CH-46 (6000 versus 2300 kg).

B777LR

The CH-46 is 13.89 meters long, has a MTOW of 11.000 kg, and flies at 145 kts.
The EH-101 is 19.63 meters long, has a MTOW of 14.600 kg, and flies at 150 kts.

Very fair to say that they are quite comparable. And the EH-101 is much safer, cheaper to operate, and much more survivable, and its a better multirole aircraft.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: B777LR on June 22, 2008, 10:14:52 AMThe CH-46 is 13.89 meters long, has a MTOW of 11.000 kg, and flies at 145 kts.
The EH-101 is 19.63 meters long, has a MTOW of 14.600 kg, and flies at 150 kts.
Very fair to say that they are quite comparable. And the EH-101 is much safer, cheaper to operate, and much more survivable, and its a better multirole aircraft.
Thank you for providing that information.  This gives me a much better perspective of the EH-101.  I had thought that it was originally in the same class as the H-60 serices which has caused me to question the validity of selecting this aircraft in US service.  Since it is actually larger than the H-60 and has capabilities that are beyond the H-46 series it is a good choice and will complement the V-22 in performing the vertical lift mission. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote-Australia (20, to replace the SH-2G's and UH-1H's)

Whiff - yes!
Export potential - Nil!

Whiff/reality CSAR/SOF version (with all the lumps and bumps) - maybe...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Guess you'll have to wait n see. . . still awaiting the outcome of the CSAR-X fiasco. . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dy031101

Some interesting illustrations on possible ASaC configuration for the Merlin here.

I wonder if the same idea can be tried on NH-90...... say, if Australians want to acquire F-35B and a companion AEW capability......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

McColm

Great models,
We'll have to wait for the Presidential EH-101, Lockheed has teamed up with the Augusta team to promote the EH-101. Pity I would have thought the RAF wouldhave replaced their Sea Kings with the Merlin for search & rescue.

Bill TGH

One of the pledges made by Barack Obama prior to being elected President was to was to cancel the presidential VH-71 Kestrel helicopter program – which had been awarded by his predessor George Bush after British prime minister Tony Blair had cosied up to him on behalf of AgustaWestland.  However, Bush's administration then changed the specification so often that the the projected cost of the fleet doubled from $6.5 billion to $13 billion.  One ridiculous example was the upgrading of the requirement that each helicopter needed not one but two safes, and we can all imagine the changes in CofG calculation that would need to follow there.  Little wonder then that Obama used it to political advantage as the recession widenedx by saying that he'd stick with what he had for the time being.

At the point of cancellation, the US DoD had reputedly spent over $3 billion on the program, and nine airframes were built.  These have now been sold as a single lot to Canada to be stripped down for parts to support their Cormorant SAR fleet.  "This package is considered an excellent one-time opportunity for the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces to address long-standing CH-149 Cormorant fleet availability issues related to the availability of spare parts," noted Defence Department spokesperson Kim Tulipan.

this election promise sound very familiar
cheers
Bill TGH

{..its all about completion... not perfection }

Wanted - 1 Kidney,
call Sue Melvin, Living Donor Coordinator, Saint John Regional Hospital

McColm

Oh,
so the Revel 1/72 EH-101 Presidential kit is not a whiff but a cancellation.

rallymodeller

Apart from the typical teething problems with a new aircraft, the CAF seem to be pretty happy with the Cormorant -- one of them is the highest-time AW101 in the world (the fleet had a total of over 40,000 flying hours in August 2010). We use our SAR birds hard. We've only lost one, and that was deemed due to pilot error.

Heck, even Prince William is impressed with them, and he's a pilot too!

Really makes one think that the S-92 was a stupid idea and Merlins were the way to go for the Shipboard ASW...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

kitnut617

Quote from: rallymodeller on July 30, 2011, 11:21:30 AM
Really makes one think that the S-92 was a stupid idea and Merlins were the way to go for the Shipboard ASW...

Well as we know, that was one political party's pet project and the Cormorant was the other's ( comment not meant to be political, just pointing facts out). The fact is we've yet to see an S-92 and it's nine years and counting since the order was placed.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rallymodeller

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 30, 2011, 12:07:31 PM
The fact is we've yet to see an S-92 and it's nine years and counting since the order was placed.

Well, we did get one. Sort of...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D