Profiles GB - Build #1 'The Marder' * * F I N I S H E D * *

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, June 21, 2008, 09:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on June 14, 2008, 08:37:51 AM
Right then, here's my first:-

Will be built pretty much OoB, from this profile by our Mav, chappie.

I'll hopefully get time to do a third - the RAF MiG 21 is a definite for later - but it depends on one big factor. Mrs. Hunter Gatherer is due to deliver a new Hunter-Gatherer in the next couple of weeks, so needless to say, modelling time may be at a premium !

Ian

So after just an hour and twenty minutes over two sittings, here's where I'm at:-

As you can see just about all of the major construction is done, the upper & lower hulls are not glued yet, they will come together much later. Ready for a trip to the paint shed for a couple of sessions with Halfords grey primer. This could turn-out-to-be a very quick build !

As ever all comments, crits and questions will be answered in a warm and humane way, unless of course I'm too tired & emotional !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

After the last pics, the Marder was assaulted by a rattle can of Halfords (Grey) acryllic primer. Last night it was roughly treated with a couple of pre-shading coats. First Tamiya Flat Brown, sprayed into all the areas that would be naturally darker (undersides, verticals, wheel dishes etc), then the deeper 'shadow' areas were accented with either Tamiya Panzer Grey or Black.

This style of pre-shding is amongst a number of firsts for yours truly.

It's the first AFV I've done for a long, long time.

This is the first model I'm using ALL acryllics - As you know I'm a confirmed enamel user.

As I've just come-out of a frustrating and ultimately fruitless relationship with a 'real world' Tamiya P-47D, this is the first time I've needed a AMS (Advanced Modellers Syndrome) 'quick build'. And so far I'm really enjoying it.

Anyhoos that's more than enough 'rambling on' - yes I am listening to Led Zeppelin just now - here's the photos.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Ian, I'm feeling a Whole Lotta Love for this build.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Maverick

Looking good Ian.  Will be watching this space.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Two coats of Tamiya Dark Yellow stright from the bottle. Next coat wil be a very thin lightened coat of the same tone on the upper facing surfaces.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Main painting done:-

The contrast between the olivegrun und dunkelgelb is a wee bit stark but after the extensive dry-brushing, oil washes and weathering that I intend to assault it with, that cantrast will reduce significantly.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Haven't made any progress on this for around five weeks. Anyway had an hour-and-a-half this morning whilst Baby-Gatherer was out shopping. and got (first) a heavy wash of Paynes Grey oil paint, then an equally heavy wash of Raw Umber.

I'll leave it now for a couple of days to let the oil washes dry out, then start the dry brushing.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

AeroplaneDriver

Looking really good Ian!  Nice to see some non-flying whifery too!.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

General Zod

Ian

I love what you have done with the Marder What do you think of acrylics? :cheers:
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Ian the Kiwi Herder

All done ! - well almost. Still got a little more weathering to do, paint the light lenses, but I cannot dothat till it gets its' final matt coat. Hopefully get that sprayed tomorrow or Tuesday. Anyways enuff waffle, on with the pics.

As ever all comments, questions, crits and/or downright abuse, welcomed. Thanks for the support and kind words, BIG thanksto John for the profile/inspiration.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Maverick

Brilliant stuff Ian!

Certainly looks good with the translation and the Wiking Div & tactical markings are a nice touch.

Regards,

Mav

RotorheadTX

Ian,

the paint work is very good; kudos to you! I especially like how you managed to get the edges and facets of the armor panels to 'pop' with the drybrushing after the washes. Personally, I've found the acrylics very difficult to brush-paint, and damn near impossible to drybrush due to the fast rate of drying. How did you pull it off???

Cheers!
Tony