Viggen (Egyptian) by Zactoman & JHM

Started by John Howling Mouse, June 21, 2008, 07:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Fantastic art/concept by Zactoman: just hope I can do it justice!  Will be using an Esci 1:48 Viggen.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

Finally managed to snag the Viggen kits I'll need for these Profile builds.  Okay, so I had a couple of Viggens in the stash already but they are destined for real world Swedish builds (honestly, they are).

John Howling Mouse

I snagged an Egyptian roundel and fin-flash flag from the 'net; modified the flag to suit Zactoman's size and proportions (not to the standard of the Egyptian flag).  I created the intake warning from scratch and, although I was able to trick MS Word into supplying me the required Arabic numerals (7542), I found they did not look the same as Zactoman's profile, either.  So I hand-drew them in Corel and re-sized as close as I could get with my own capabilities.  I'm really looking forward to printing these out and having a painted model to apply them on!

Here is a test-fit of the graphics I will be turning into decals.  Just hope I remember to paint the white backgrounds first!  I suppose I could use white decal film sheets for the flags and roundels, too.  You'll notice I had to swap a tailfin from other kits for the correct version.  I'm going to do my best to do justice to Zactoman's fantastic profile by copying every detail as closely as I can (except mine will be on the ground with wheels down).

John Howling Mouse

An extension...my kingdom for an extension!

Man, these Heller kits truly suck.  No locator pins/holes, seats don't fit their own cockpit tubs, cockpits don't fit the fuselage...yet some of the shapes fit together perfectly.  It's as though the kit was engineered specifically to drive you nuts until you're just about to give up and then, teasingly, something actually seems to fit together.  Then, the next parts you put on require another half tube of putty.  Oh well.  Some PSR shots in various stages of preparation for paint.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

Go, Mr Howling Mouse, go! Beat that kit into submission!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Wot no kitbashing???  Promises to be good Baz, I guess the second one in the pic will be the real world bird?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sotoolslinger

Well JHM  look at the bright side , at least they don't suck as much putty as one of your kitbashes ;D :rolleyes: :blink: Looking really cool though  :thumbsup: Thanks for the warning on what kits not to buy :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ysi_maniac

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on September 07, 2008, 08:52:37 PM
An extension...my kingdom for an extension!

Man, these Heller kits truly suck.

I also need an extension.  :banghead: As usual :banghead:

Heller? or Esci?
Will die without understanding this world.

cthulhu77

Holy cow ! That is a much glazing putty as an Anigrand requires !  Man, you are really into self mutilation.

Mossie

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 08, 2008, 06:42:26 AM

Heller? or Esci?

I'm guessing Baz means the ESCI & Airfix kits?  As far as I know, the ESCI kit is the only Viggen released in 1/48 & Airfix re-boxed it after ESCI folded.  I don't think Heller did one in that scale (I might be wrong), but they're quite well known for their 1/72 incarnations.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on September 08, 2008, 07:54:36 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 08, 2008, 06:42:26 AM

Heller? or Esci?

I'm guessing Baz means the ESCI & Airfix kits?  As far as I know, the ESCI kit is the only Viggen released in 1/48 & Airfix re-boxed it after ESCI folded.  I don't think Heller did one in that scale (I might be wrong), but they're quite well known for their 1/72 incarnations.

Heller did indeed do one and I built it back in the day. Nice kit, with LOTS of options: twin or single seat, radar or recce nose etc... everything except a JA IIRC, since the kit predated it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Great work, Barry. Keep the faith, baby !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)