A

Secret Canadian Nuke Sub

Started by Alvis, December 10, 2003, 03:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis

And now, for the interior view...

Alvis

Closer view of the interior...

And for the story: Designed for use in the North Atlantic, the Salmon Class SSNs were to see their first operational role in the North Pacific. After several years of frustrated negotiations with the State of Alaska and the federal US government, the Canadian Navy was tasked with inderdiction of the Alaskan fishing fleet. The Salmon class subs were perfect for the job, as they had range, endurance, stealth, and the sonar and acoustical signature of a really really really big salmon. The standard tactic was to lure the fishing boats out to sea, and then allow the nets to "capture" the sub, which would slowly dive deeper, sinking the fishing boats (with time for the crews to escape) and leaving no trace of naval involvement. Eventually, the Coast Guard and the US Navy were involved in searching for whatever was sinking the fishing boats, but all they ever got were traces of a really really really big salmon. After severe losses to the fleet, Alaska was more condusive to negotiations, and the role of the Salmon SSNs would have never come out had not HMCS Chinook been netted by a Korean longliner 3 months after the North Pacific Salmon Treaty signing.
Utilising a CANDU designed reactor, the Salmon class are the latest in Canadian nautical technology. A typical crew consisits of 17 officers and one crewman. Long patrols are often the norm, and a well equipped rec room is essential, with several vending machines available for the use of the crew, and many hours of "Don Cherry's Grapevine" on DVD can be watched.

Alvis :wacko:  

Alvis

Close-up of the reactor core...Oooooo...glowy!

Supertom

Okay Alvis, you now officially have WAY too much time on your hands.

Can we have an article?  :rolleyes:  
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Ollie

Alvis is the true master!  He's the best modeler, well, only REAL modeler in our gang.  Very nice Alvis!!

How did you pull that one off?

John Howling Mouse

Ollie's right, Alvis:  You ARE da'MAN!   This is just nuts (I love it!).

What, er, "scale" (no pun intended) is it?

This is one for the What If Lifetime Achievement Awards!!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Alvis

1/72 "scale"....uses the Visible Trout kit from Scalemaster (A division of Lindberg)
I have several other in the Visible animal series that are in the process of being built...stay tuned....
Crew is from various WW II AFVs, many interior bits from B-29s by Academy.

Alvis, who is not so much the modeller but a frustrated comedian!

...and yes Tom, I am working up an article for you....really...You know it's not good when the site master says I have too much time on my hands....

Mike Wren

that is absolutely fantastic Alvis!  :wub:  

Aircav

Do you think that if we stand close to him some of the genius will rub off onto us....

Alvis,
if I was wearing a hat I would take it off to you  :P  :P  :P  :P

Way COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

To the tune of "my old mans a dustman"

Oh, A. Petrie is magic, he wears a magic hat
And when he saw what-if he said "I fancy that"
He doesn't post on MM or HS cos they're poo-poo (with an english accent)
He posts on whatifmodelers cos he's ****ing dynamite!

Alvis, you manage to combine unbelievable imagination with incredible modelling ability and prolific output.  I salute you   :ar:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Alvis

Well, my wife would like to thank all of you with the words of praise for enlarging my head size to where it won't fit thru the door now!!!
:wub:  :wub:
Gee guys, it's not THAT good!

Alvis :dum:  

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

It's bloody brilliant Alvis, a work of genius....I to salute you.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen