1/72 CASA Azor

Started by Brian da Basher, June 12, 2008, 03:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

It's a well-known fact that General Ernst Udet purchased two Curtiss F-11 Goshawks while in the U.S. which eventually led to the development of the feared Stuka dive-bomber. Less known is what became of them afterwards and the impact they had on the Iberian Peninsula.

Originally, the German Kondor Legion was a rather slap-dash affair, supplied with whatever could be easily spared. In August of 1936, the two Curtiss Goshawks purchased by General Udet were sent to Spain to test dive-bombing techniques. After two months of such use, they went aloft for the last time. The leader was Leutnant Berg Limburger followed by Captain Cabeza de los Queso of the Spanish Nationalist Air Force. They were met by CASA-built Spanish Furies before arriving at their target and Leutnant Berg Limburger was shot down in flames while Captain Cabeza de los Queso was forced to land behind enemy lines. Captain Cabeza de los Queso and his Goshawk were soon captured by the Republicans who immediately set about reverse-engineering it and then improved upon it by giving it a more powerful engine and an enclosed cockpit. Thus the CASA Azor was born...

continued...

Brian da Basher

Maverick

Sexy ship Brian, certainly doesn't look much like a Goshawk anymore and looks the part all over.

Regards,

Mav

Brian da Basher

The Azor was origninally developed as a carrier-based fighter-bomber for the  Republican Navy's new aircraft carrier, the Asturias. The Asturias was later sunk by a mine off the Balearic Islands while undergoing sea trials. Without a carrier to operate from, the Azors were offered to the Spanish Republican Air Force where they were given the designation A for Assaulto, or attack. A flight of ten Azors provided a turning point in the war when they successfully bombed the Nationalist capitol of Burgos and killed Generalissimo Franco. Franco was soon replaced by General Mola, but this led to a split in the Nationalist command as General Cabanellas felt he should be in charge. This caused a civil war within a civil war between the two which was only ended by assassination of both generals in 1938 by disgruntled Carlists that ended the war.

CASA Azor A-5, which helped win the war for the Republicans and was flown by Major Negociación Colectiva of the C.N.T.-F.A.I. can be seen on display at the Republican Air Force History museum in Valladolid

Brian da Basher

Ed S

Once again, nice job Brian.   You just keep turning them out.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Brian da Basher

The basis for this project is a vintage Monogram F-11C Goshawk. These things are rare as hen's teeth and it was only after adding a second one to the stash that I proceeded. I added a canopy from the spares box that was a perfect fit and prop with a pointy spinner and a left over 500 lb. bomb. The rest of the build was straightforward. The entire model is brush-painted by hand with acrylics. The uppers were done in Model Masters Gulf War Tan and Polly Scale Light Olive and the undersides in Model Masters Primer Gray. The bomb was painted with Testors Gull Gray and the other colors a cheap craft-store acrylics. The codes were from spare decals and I made the little anarchist flag on the fin from decal bits. The model was rigged with a broken E string. I really like Spanish Republican markings as they're quite striking and easy to do and don't force you to raid your decal stash. I hope you enjoyed this model and backstory as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you.

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Absolutly too cool yet again.  :bow: Not only inspiring but I always learn something from your builds :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ysi_maniac

Oh those inter war biplanes :wub: ... those open spats :wub: ... those republican markings  :wub:
:thumbsup:
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

John Howling Mouse

You've done it again, Brian!  Very likable little airplane you've got there.

"Major Negociación Colectiva"  ------you crack me up!

Only one quibble: "Leutnant" is not how you spell "Limburger."

Say, what's with the spats, anyhow?   :o

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 13, 2008, 11:06:08 AM
You've done it again, Brian!  Very likable little airplane you've got there.

"Major Negociación Colectiva"  ------you crack me up!

Only one quibble: "Leutnant" is not how you spell "Limburger."

Say, what's with the spats, anyhow?   :o

Edited. Thank you for helping me fix that, Mr Howling Mouse.
:lol:
Brian da Basher

Patrick H

wonderfull, cool, excellent. You got to love those pre WWII biplanes. Ad this one looks fabulous.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air