Boeing YC-28 BSBA

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 07, 2008, 08:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Back History.

During the war in Iraq and Afghanistan it became apparent that the USAF its C-130 and C-17 airlifter were to big for certain small airfields and some bases that need resupply are unable to be reached by helicopters, especialy in high-risk areas.

the USAF needed something small and fast with a STOL capability. for this, Boeing and Sikorsky teamed up to build and develop the BSBA (Boeing STOL Battlefield Airlifter). th concept was quite simple, by using the frame of a CH-47 chinook helicopter, removing the rotor and engines and replace them with wings and jet turbofans, they were able to create a small transport aircraft that could not only be used as a transport, but also as an ECM, ASW, gunship and special operations aircraft.

The model:

the basic fuselage is an old revell 1/144 CH-47 from the scrapheap, wings are from a 1/72 gloster gladiator, engines from a scrapped 1/144 Bae146 and the tail was scratchbuild.

apparently, the light-grey paint i used wasnt good, think its gone bad  >:(, gonna have to repaint it later in a different grey. as for decals, im thinking USAF or Canadian  :thumbsup:
but that will have to wait till she's repainted  :angry:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

sotoolslinger

And ya'll call my builds wild ;D that is cool :mellow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

The Rat

Quote from: Nils on June 07, 2008, 08:01:28 AM...by using the frame of a CH-47 chinook helicopter, removing the rotor and engines and replace them with wings and jet turbofans,...

Another one of those forehead-slapping DOH! moments, a brilliant idea.  :thumbsup:

And yes, do the repaint, that little beastie is worth it. Personally I would square off the wingtips too, looks a bit more modern that way.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rafael

Love the way it looks. The chinook has always looked to me like an airplane graduating only in the helicopter course. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I too would sqare off the wingtip a little. The 146 engines look superb, and your concept is really cool.

Great minds think alike........

I have an old matchbox Chinook, sans engines and fited with wings, only I have not reached the stage of thinking of how to motorize it. :banghead:
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Martin H

That is nearer to the truth than u realize....Boeing pattented a tilt wing transport based on a chinook in the 1980's

I like the idea :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

Have you been reading my mind again (be careful what you find there)?  Only yesterday, I wondered what a fixed wing chook would look like.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

From an aerodynamic perspective, the fuselage is a tad short, however the concept itself is great!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

John Howling Mouse

Cool idea, Nils....very cool!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

seavixen

That is truly horrible!

But kinda cool at the same time.      :lol:
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

gooberliberation

:blink:

Now go go tell a "serious" modeller that you kitbashed a chinook, a gladiator, and a 146 together. ;D
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

lancer

What a brilliant idea!! Nice work there Nils, and a stonking looking little model!!  Now, all you gotta do is sell the idea to Boeings!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Eddie M.

Quote from: gooberliberation on June 07, 2008, 11:12:55 PM
:blink:

Now go go tell a "serious" modeller that you kitbashed a chinook, a gladiator, and a 146 together. ;D

Which is exactly why it works!  :ph34r: Great idea and I'm looking for for the repaint and rollout. :thumbsup:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Spey_Phantom

i how have repainted the older grey with a new lighter grey, also gave the top dark grey another coat.
she's looking a bit better now  :mellow:, now i just need to find the decals.

onr thing i noticed, when it comes to photographing 1/144 small planes, the pictures always seem to make the model look bad  :unsure:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.