San Torta bows to preassure to buy 'sane' aircraft!

Started by puddingwrestler, June 02, 2008, 04:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Okay, it had to happen some time. The next San Tortan plane is a completely sane Grumman. A Grumman Duck to be precise. And let's face it, the Duck is one of the oddest looking of real world planes. And it has floats. So why not?

I got this Airfix kit from the bay of e. Like most airfix offerings there is basically no interior, so I've been adding detail. Not accurate detail, just detail (I've never seen the interior of one of these, and anyway, the San Tortan's probably customized things anyway)

These pics show only the first coat of paint - things will be cleaned up and weathered tommrow.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Brian da Basher

That's some fantastic detail work, PW! I totally applaud San Torta choosing the Duck! It's perfect for them!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

puddingwrestler

Upon seeing the cockpit and interior arrangement, my brother described it as looking like a run down rickety back yard tree house... and I have to agree.

puddingwrestler

The Grumman Duck is having it's undercoat sprayed on today, I'll start painting this arvo. Basically stock, except I've omitted an instrument bubble thing and added more bombs.

puddingwrestler

Pics! Pics for the pic god! Pixels for the Pixel throne of WHIF!

puddingwrestler

And now, after the union mandated drumroll, here are the pics of the completed Grumman Duck!

lancer

That i sone seriously good looking duck PW, amazing job. Lovely looking colour scheme.
Just to pick up on something I read earlier, the words 'San Torta' and Sane' do NOT belong in the same sentance...no sir, never happen, not possible...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ed S

Nice duck.  And it's obviously been well used.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

John Howling Mouse

That's really nice.  How do you manage to get something brand new looking that dusty/faded so quick?  Love that look of an aircraft the very most.
Please advise how you achieve that effect.  This sure looks like a 1:48 model to me.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

All hail Saint Sandwich ;D Just very very tasty PW . :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sisko

Nice weathered look!!! :thumbsup:

Hehehe don't think that I didn't notice the imperial gaurd decals!  :rolleyes:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

puddingwrestler

JHM (as opposed to JMN, who froth at the mouth at the mention of JHM):
The weathering effect works like this. First up, apply a nice even coat of the base colour using a largish flat brush. Brush from the front to the back, the paint will streak a little, but it's in the direction of weathering and adds to the effect. IN the case of this bird, the base coat was Tamiya Field Blue.
Next. drybrush, using the same brush size and directions, with a highlight colour. IN this case, the closest I had was Citadel Regal blue. Using a colour which is not a direct high-light colour actually adds to the faded look, because some patches are different colours.
Paint chipping comes next - I just stipple on metallics (usually Citadel Boltgun Metal) with an old and cruddy brush.
Next, get a medium or lightish grey pastel, sand paper some dust from it, and apply this with a brush, brushing it backwards along the plane. Use a tissue to wipe off excess, again brushing in the direction of travel.
I also use an ochre pastel for rusty areas.
Finally, i tend to use either black pastel or stippled on black paint around exhausts.
I also tend to use brown ink washes for oil stains, just not on this model.

puddingwrestler

Of course, the camera flash washes things out a bit and adds to teh faded look...

Brian da Basher

That's really sweet, PW! I like the open cockpit which seems a reasonable choice given San Torta's balmy climate.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher