Rockwell/BAe (B-1) Trident MR-3 ASW aircraft.

Started by spike7451, May 31, 2008, 09:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spike7451

Well,I had partially completed a B1 in 1/72 sitting in the back room so I decided to do something 'different'.

"In the late 1970's the US company Rockwell in conjunction with BAe entered into a competition to replace the aging Nimrod MR2.The proposal was to take the existing B1 bomber framework & modify it.
Some of the modifications are;

Extended cockpit to accomodate a crew of 6 (Pilot & Co-Pilot,Tactical Navigator,ASW operators X2 & a ESM operator and a galley/rest area.
Removal of rear bomb bay to accomodate extra fuel & ASW warfare kit
Rolls Royce RB-199 engines.
Sonobouy launchers fitted to front bomb bay.

Extendable MAD boom (as fitted to USN Viking.)The resulting aircraft entered service with 201 Sqn at RAF Kinloss in early 1983 with further Sqns following soon after.The current colour scheme for the aircraft is Hemp upper & LAG lower.
Hope you like it so far.....
Spike

Used some bits from the old Mighty Hunter here....

Over the rear bomb bay are 2 blisters (made from a 1/48 Tornado drop tank)

lancer

That is one hell of an introduction Spike. It is a very interesting idea you've got there. I'll be the first to extrend the welcome mat to the loony bin. I think with ideas like that you're going to fit in just fine. Great work so far as well.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

What's that first pic supposed to be ? :rolleyes:

Love the idea...the fuel tanks at the back are looking pretty cool as well. Looking forward to seeing some more !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

spike7451

Thanks Lancer,
I've been toying with the Idea of a RAF Bone for a while & after building my Nimrod I thought why not do a maritime strike aircraft.
I'm adding a Sea Eagle missile to the external pylons with 4 Torps & maybe a Harpoon or two in the bomb bay.
I've also got a RAF F-14D on the go as well.
Merv

spike7451

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 31, 2008, 10:05:27 AM
What's that first pic supposed to be ? :rolleyes:

Love the idea...the fuel tanks at the back are looking pretty cool as well. Looking forward to seeing some more !

:cheers:

The first pic is between the bomb bay & nose.I left the gizmo in place that's on the Revell kit (I assume it's test kit?) & the other hump is off the Nimrod kit & is going to be a sort of long range targeting pod.
The is also going to be 2 smaller pods (Taken from a 1/72 Tornado) which will be the same as the pods on the wingtips on the Nimrod* & Viking,but mounted under the engine pods.

*Spent 3 years on Nimrods & I cant remember what they are!! :o (must be old age!)

GTX

When, I saw the thread title at first I expected an ASW version of the Hawker Siddeley Trident:

Yours is even cooler though! Nice first post :thumbsup:.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

LemonJello

Looks like an interesting idea.  Keep the updates coming so we can see it progress.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

Shasper

The gadgets ahead of the number one weapons bay was for cameras n such during the test phase, and should be scabbed off for a RWA Bone. . . May i suggest you re-role it as a FLIR?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Captain Canada

Cool....the more lumps and bumps the merrier ! Looking forward to seeing the missiles strapped underneath her as well.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Maverick

Nice intro Spike,

And a belated welcome.  I think the Nimrod's wingtip pods were part of their ESM system (Orange Harvest?)

Regards,

Mav

anthonyp

ASW Bone?  I like it!   :thumbsup:

Not a conversion I've ever really thought of doing, though with the low-level performance of the Bone, an almost natural variant.

That, and I like the idea of hanging torpedoes on every plane I can think of  :ph34r:

Looking forward to seeing this one progress!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

cthulhu77

Nice idea!  It would be the equivalent of the Backfire, but faster. Neat.

bexwh773

Blimey, they let anyone in here dont they Spike  :rolleyes:  When did you sneak in  :cheers:  Anyways, as you know Im prone to brief moments of seriousness, so welcome to the Loony Bin, and Im glad you brought this beastie with you  :thumbsup:

Now, stop typing and get building, wanna see this baby finished  ;D

Bexy
Becky aka Bex