Tomcat

Started by Taiidantomcat, May 28, 2008, 09:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

My first Post and thread here, i'm sorry it's a link but it is much easier than reposting pics over and over  :banghead: would really love to hear everyone's opinion on this, Thank you!

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=153618

Semper Fi,
Ben
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Eddie M.

Now that is work! Looks pretty good, but it would look better if some of those WIP photos were over here.;) :thumbsup:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

I know but thanks for looking anyway! :thumbsup:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

John Howling Mouse

Wow.  Eddie's right: this is something that belongs over here.  You are someone who belongs over here.

Calling Rafa and BdaB: this guy is right up your alley for being able to make magic from household items.

Ben: what did you mean by "making the canopy out of clay and epoxy"?  How?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

YEAH what they said :thumbsup: Nice scratchin dude. :party: Build that thing that is your avatar over there. (Get a Photobucket account, it is free and you can post pictures anywhere, any time , :wub:easy,)
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

Wow, thanks for the welcome Gents! I used Celluclay, by placing it inside a revell 1/32 canopy then gently pulling the canopy off before moving it to a cookie sheet. After baking it i got a rough shape then it was sanding time. i glued stryrene to the sides (it wasnt big enough to reach the edges in some parts) and filled the gaps with epoxy, wish i had known where the canopy was (or better yet, learned that you can call or write model Companies and get spare parts...like say a Revell 1/32 Tomcat Canopy :banghead:) but it did work... :tornado: One of the hardest things about this whole model has simply been finding a niche, in the few years its been going on it has alternately been USMC, RAF, a Spacefighter, and now Russian which as i add more "russian style" pieces, it appears will stay. calling it FLEETSTAR.

-Ben

sotoolslinger

TTCAT that's why you need to be here. Not only are your skills superb :wub: but we will all be happy to tell you what to do with YOUR models :rolleyes: We're thoughtful like that ;D
I amuse me.

Taiidantomcat

Ha! and thank you. Im still throwing bits and pieces on, slow and steady. For as much as i want to get this baby done i keep telling myself that i've spent a lot of time and energy on it and i shouldn't rush. So now for some of that direction you spoke of: How should i paint it??

BlackOps

Ben, welcome aboard! Looks like this is going to be a cool build.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Taiidantomcat

Primed and ready. now i know this is not a huge step normally but having this thing on the verge of receiving paint is an incredible feat! :party:
im going to do all the pre shading tommorow so that means i will have 2 full days to change my mind a thousand times as to what colors it should be.
im leaning towards the standard flanker blues, ( or maybe an ali cat with sov stars??) , but im open to suggestions, especially from this forum!! :cheers:

Semper Fi,
Ben

sotoolslinger

TTOMCAT, green with red stars OH yeah , get you some :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.

Taiidantomcat

green is tempting...http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/38/1/2/5_b1

i have been called into work tomorrow so thats about 72 hours now to decide...

Semper Fi,
Ben

Rafael

Hey Ben!!!

Welcome to the dark side......we have cookies!!

I don't know how I missed this. I really like the way you Adapt, Improvise and Overcome in your builds. Yes, sir, you are waaay ahead of your time. I love the way you did that celluclay trick.

And no matter how you paint and decal her, this lady is a superb model, si señor!! :wub:

Rafa
(Semper Fidelis, too)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Taiidantomcat

Thanks Rafael! Got off work early today, and knew exactly what to do! I bought a Sotar airbrush that sat in its case for months...well today was different. This airbrush is incredible. i used an Aztek 4079, before this and its like going from a geo to a Porsche, fine lines and it NEVER JAMMED any bad lines you see are certainly my fault and not the airbrush! This thing is exciting, and makes me want to finish a few more of those, built but not ready  to be finished kits we all have here and there. :cheers:

-Ben

Taiidantomcat

Painted the bottom blue today, i think it came out pretty good. I'm also leaving myself some time to decide on the Camo scheme, since the green camo version has blue undersides too (I am actually leaning that way...). I actually forgot to pre shade the F-14's Right Wing (no thats not an election joke of any kind) so i just preshaded it with the same blue color which is cool i like being able to compare the two.

24 hours until base coating,
Ben