Assault Ekranoplan

Started by Sisko, December 04, 2003, 02:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisko

Hi all here is some in progress pics of my assault ekranoplan. My basic design has not changed much from my original draweing although I have modified the second turret and moved the targeting pods to end of the tail wings. This would give a better feild of veiw and would not be hindered by the exhaust from the bank of verticle launched missiles. Although you can't see it I have decided to open one of the launch tubes and will show it with the hatch up. I do like to make it difficult for myself. :o

I should have the final pics and a what if article to go with it in a couple of weeks.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Sisko

Sisko

As the man in the ads says but what theres more

Sisko

Oh! in the original blurb at the beginning of this post I forgot to mention that the fit on this kit is a challange. ( thats modelling speak for it suxs)

Sisko

And this is the final pic. This shows where the two turrets will mount. The assault ekranoplan has taken two kits one for the kit and one for bit and pieces. Plenty of putty and Mr surfacer. What great stuff don;t know how I got on with out it.

Ollie

Very nice Sisko!!

Any idea on what the paint scheme will be like??

:wub:  

Sisko

Ah!!

haven't thought that far ahead

John Howling Mouse

Man, that looks nasty.

Makes me think of some kind of deathly starship being used by evil
space pirates!!!    :ar:

Keep the in-progress shots coming.  It's the only way others can appreciate
all the work (such as fixing sucky fit of parts) that goes into what I'm sure will be an impressive final product.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Ekranoplans rule!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mairfrog

Ekranoplans kick every type of donkey.  :wub:

That looks ugly enough to be real. Great work there with the putty, those nose intakes are bitches.
There were several concepts proposed for Orlyonok derivatives. At this point I should include a link to them, but I don't have one so I won't. :unsure:

If only Trumpeter or someone would release a KM and Lun in 1/144th. That would rule. In the meantime I'm eyeing aeroplanes to give the Alexeiev treatment to.  

Joe C-P

QuoteVery nice Sisko!!

Any idea on what the paint scheme will be like??

:wub:
I like the paint job it already has. Looks like it's been well-used.  :D

They are cool-looking.  :ph34r:

I'm going to pick one up someday and make a US Coast Guard rescue version. Maybe they'll take the hint - long range high speed water-landing rescue aircraft.(They can set down in water, right?)
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

lancer

Maybe we should propose an Ekranoplan group build as well, now that the TSR2 one and the VDT one's have completed. There certainly seems to be the interest for it, and the possibilities for themes and schemes are almost endless.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ollie

Good idea, but base all of it on one kit?  You could do all your fancy ideas in either the Soviet build or the Scale-o-rama, no?

:o

Mairfrog

Yes JoeP, the Orlyonok was fully amphibious. Most other ekranoplans could only operate from water. Its that combination of aerodynamics, hydrodynamics and pure weirdness that makes them so fascinating.

The Revell Orlyonok is hideously inaccurate BTW, so major plastic sugerey would be no bad thing.