Pre-shading

Started by Aircav, December 02, 2003, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

I'm thinking about pre-shading my Tornado, it'll be the first time I've do this, what do you all think of the effect

All the best
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

lancer

Go for it mate, it should lok good. I've only tried it once or twice, but it never really made any difference to the end result.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mairfrog

Pre-shading is the curse of AMS riddled JMNs. Its an absolute waste of time and effort and adds zero realism to the finished model.

How many full size aeroplanes do see with pre-shaded panels?

The prostitution rests!

nev

Well, the argument that dirt goes *above* the paint, rather than beneath as with pre-shading misses the point.  The idea of pre-shading is to create the appearance of weathering rather than replicate it.

Having said that, I do feel that much time is wasted on the highlighting of panel lines resulting in a model that looks good, but isn't necasserily accurate.  As has been pointed out, on a real plane panel lines are normally very hard to see unless close up.

Thats not to say that the highlighting of panel lines by pre-shading or any other technique should never be done.  There are certain subjects (modern USN) or scales (1/32) where it is applicable.  I've seen pre-shading done to excellent effect to accurately portray a subject and I've also seen it done just to look good  ^_^

Sheesh, do we sound like a bunch of JMNs talking about this or what?  :D  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mairfrog

No we don't, cos we aren't wanking over how much our airbrushes cost.

I HATE preshading, dry brushing, washes etc. All they do is make your model look like the JMNs models, they're nothing to do with adding realism. If you want the model to look realistic, photograph it in strong, direct sunlight.

I could write a bloody essay on Why These Techniques Suck, and if I do I'll post it on Hyperscale to piss them all off! :ar:

Nigel Bunker

Unfortunatley, there are trends in modelling which you must follow to gain acceptance by the JMNs.  First it was cutting out control surfaces and repositioning them, then dropping flaps (I thought this was hilarious on RAF aircraft as the rule in the mob is to raise flaps before exiting the cockpit - failure to do so normally ending in having to buy the drinks in the bar or a stiff chat with the CO for continued infringements, but I can't speak for other air forces).
Next came vacforming canopies and opening them. Weathering seemed to come and go but now we have washes, resulting in aircraft that look unconvincing unless you've seen one where an erk has been sent out to outline each panel with a black marker pen.

As background on my PC I have a picture of the Typhoon, which I guess was taken from 10-20 yards away with a wide angle lens. You can't see any panel lines and can barely see the seam around the edge of the airbrake.

I feel that the JMNs are becoming like the figure modellers, who declare that unless a figure is pianted in 'Capo di Monte' style (with overdone highlights and shadows), it isn't worthy of consideration, ignoring the fact that any person who actually looked like that would be admitted into hospital.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Ollie

QuoteFirst it was cutting out control surfaces and repositioning them, then dropping flaps (I thought this was hilarious on RAF aircraft as the rule in the mob is to raise flaps before exiting the cockpit - failure to do so normally ending in having to buy the drinks in the bar or a stiff chat with the CO for continued infringements, but I can't speak for other air forces).

Actually, having a Spit with dropped elevators is so much nicer than one with them straight.  I do it with my Spits now and it gives them a very nice look.

As for the flaps, it depends on the type of aircraft.  Take C-FWOL for instance, you must leave the flaps down before exiting the aircraft, because it's too easy to step on them while they're up.  Some guy (if I ever catch him he's dead) stepped on the flap of the bird, and now there's a crack in the metal at this place.  We'll have to repair it sometime....  When parking the aircraft inside a hanger, the flaps stay down, outside I put them up for the night.

T-28 : you must get the flaps down to climb down, since steps are incorporated in them.  However, you can put them back up using a hand actuated hydraulic pump.