RH Hunter

Started by retro_seventies, November 26, 2003, 04:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

Well here we go...firstly i meant RN not RH hunter, of course (curse lunchtime drinking)

I realise that The Wooksta is a bit of an authority on these things, and if i'm treading on any toes here i'm very very sorry and will leave well alone....

that being said ( :P ), i really fancy building a naval hunter, and think that there would be no job that she wouldn't be able to do (especially in the early/mid 60's) - when there wasn't enough speed or available missile fit for interceptor, ground attack and buddy refueling would still be well within reach, and later on an EW version would be another possibility.

i'm particularly keen on the idea of an EW version, and think that a royal navy hunter jammer would be a super plane to build - couple of big jammer pods (bit like those on the ea-6 prowler), maybe a canoe like the ef-111, possibly a new nose for radar, and i think i'd use a two seater for the job (too much work for one chap, right?).

soooooooo....i'll be looking at buying the matchbox 1/72 t7/f58 right?

i dunno if there are any more 1/72 2 seater hunters out there, and if not, is the matchbox kit still available??

lemme know what you think chaps....

all the best,

ben
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

retro_seventies

f*ck.   :huh:

did i just get told not to bother?  :(

i was just getting excited about it too.

but...

but...

*shrugs*

oh well.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

retro_seventies

i know mate, i'm just being a bit of a dick.

i'm going to ask you a question now, and i don't want you to go off on one (yes, its THAT kind of question), but i want to know something, and chances are that you are the man to tell me....

the scimitar...

now, i've read that it was a bit of lemon - leaked fuel, bit tricky to fly (certainly not good) but that the pilots liked it (always a good sign) and that its poor accident record was because it was too powerful for small carriers.

would the navy have been better off buying something else instead?

*lights blue touchpaper and stands well clear*

not that i'm kicking the scimitar when its down, i rather like it (and it was given a bit of a rough deal in service by all accounts), i just want to know your opinion....

thanks chap,

ben

Mike Wren

I was knocking together a Tamiya Skyray just yesterday for RN service. The Scimitar (as with all things British) was delayed so a couple of sqns of Skyrays were supplied by those nice Americans.

I got a can of Halfords Rover Tempest Grey ages ago that looks like it might be close to EDSG so will give it a go, I'll let you lot know...

:huh:  

nev

Please do Mike - I've often wondered which (if any) Halfords paints equate to camo colours.  And as you're already doing a Tamiya for RN service, looks like I'll have to do mine for RAN or RCN service.

Hmmmm, I wonder which I'll get requests to do.......... :D

BTW, the Skyray was meant to be a real pig to fly.  My cutting edge decal sheet has an option for the US Naval test pilot school which says that the Skyray was used "to instruct trainee pilots on flying an aircraft with terrible handling qualities"  :D  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

elmayerle

Regarding Skyrays, it might be more interesting to do a production version of the improved model, the F5D "Skylancer".  The Ginter books shows the differences and the biggest problem in converting the Maintrack kit of it would be splicing in the exhaust end of an F-104 to get the J-79 installation.  You'd also have to rescribe the LE slats but that's not a big problem.

Thoughtfully,
Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Quote(too much work for one chap, right?).
Unless, of course, he's Canadian !

And those two seat Naval Hunters were the best looking ones of the bunch.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

joesus

If you're doing a Skylancer, another suggested change would be the intakes. NACA had tunnel tests with sugar scoop type inlets, sort of like the F-105, which should have made it about as fast as the Crusader. Speaking of scoops.... F8U-3. :wub:  

elmayerle

QuoteIf you're doing a Skylancer, another suggested change would be the intakes. NACA had tunnel tests with sugar scoop type inlets, sort of like the F-105, which should have made it about as fast as the Crusader. Speaking of scoops.... F8U-3. :wub:
*chuckle* That one was on my "fun" list, too.  Along with similar inlets for a Draken with a J-79 or equivalent.

Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mike Wren

QuoteAnd as you're already doing a Tamiya for RN service, looks like I'll have to do mine for RAN or RCN service.
Nev, what about a West German Marine Skyray in grey/white? Dutch navy? Indian? Or possibly a land based AF, the US used some for NORAD defence due to its high performance.

I was thinking of doing a drone/target tug in yellow/red like the Sea Vixens... but I'll see how the first one goes...  :huh:  

nev

Sounds good Mike, never thought of doing one in a non-combat role.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mike Wren

yeah, what about a silver one with black & yellow stiped undersides? I thinik the RN used some Canberra target tugs in that scheme. Fleet Air Requirements was it? Dunno much about 2nd line a/c tho...

:huh:  

Geoff_B

FRADU

Hi Mike

You mean like the FRADU Hunters and Canberras, plenty of unusual variants used by the Royal Navy for testing out its Warships capabilities. Job now done by Falcon exec jets and Hawks.

Cheers

Geoff

Mike Wren

oooooh lovely Geoff, cheers.  :D

this the the scheme I had in mind... (a bit big)

either that, or this...

anyone do Red Bull decals?  :huh:

Geoff_B

Hi Mike

Do you mean like this ?

The Warpaint guide on the Sea Vixen should have some nice profiles for you to get the colour scheme from.

As to Red Bull decals Revell have done their 1/48 Mitchell with the Chrome & Red Bull scheme, so maybe they might do the Sea Vixen in the same scheme. Personally i wish they had repainted her to her FAA operational colours. But if the funding allows her to fly and then get her proper paint scheme then i suppose i can live with it.

FRADU Sea Vixens should be interesting XS587  was the first TT to be converted but then they cancelled the program. Could be another spin off though using some of the 60's aircraft in the 2nd line duties. ?

Ex USN F-4B's as Target tugs for BAC Cyclones F1's - that should please Wooksta

Cheers

Geoff B B)