Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - TSR Tuesday (VF-1)  (Read 931082 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 28, 2019, 08:19:27 am »

Just a one-off shot of a No.72 Squadron machine. Moody dark clouds don't happen that often so I like this shot! No less than 12 RAF squadrons operated the Javelin in the UK and only 2 went on to operate the Lightning so imagine if they had all re-equipped! BTW if you're wondering where the Firestreak missiles are then this Lightning is carrying the Microcell rocket back.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:22:00 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2026 on: March 01, 2019, 12:27:43 pm »
Supermarine Attacker Mk.51 - 860 Squadron, Netherlands Naval Aviation Service, 1954

This is a Fleet Air Arm skin by 'paulopanz' with some new MLD (Marineluchtvaartdienst) decals by me. I have previously skinned the Attacker myself (to make a real-world Pakistan Air Force Attacker) but whilst that silver skin exists my templates are one of the many things I've lost on that external hard drive. Nevermind. Anyway, I need to get some other nation carriers sorted as I like the on-deck shots myself.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2027 on: March 02, 2019, 11:03:42 am »
Gloster Meteor F.Mk4 - 4 Stormo, Aeronautica Militare, 1950

With the establishment of the Italian Republic on June 18th, 1946 (following a national vote to end the Kingdom of Italy) the former Regia Aeronautica became the Aeronautica Militare. Whilst the Peace Treaty of Paris of 1947 had placed considerable restrictions on all of the Italian armed forces, rising early post-war tensions between the Soviet Union and the Western Allies (soon to culminate in the Berlin Blockade that started in the Summer of 1948) led to the formation of NATO in 1949 with Italy as a valued founding member. The Aeronautica Militare urgently needed modernizing and whilst the transfer of P-47 Thunderbolt and P-51 Mustang piston-engined fighter planes gave them an immediate boost it was clear that more modern aircraft were required. Such was the importance of Italy to NATO's south-eastern flank that the US President Harry S. Truman ordered that 100 Gloster Meteor F.Mk4 fighter-bombers should be purchased for the Aeronautica Militare as part of the Offshore Procurement Policy associated with the wider Mutual Defense Assistance Program.

Because of the increased demand for the Meteor (for the RAF and export customers) the Gloster Aircraft Company had already introduced a second source of production by using the Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Company at their Bitteswell and Baginton factories and the Italian order was easily slotted in. The Gloster Meteor F.Mk4 entered Aeronautica Militare service with 4 Stormo in February 1950 who later that year used them as part of the attacking enemy force in 'Operation Balkan Rise' (the first ever NATO military air exercise) with their Meteor F.Mk4's displaying black recognition colours and they scored highly in both Gunnery and Bombing competitions.

An absolutely spiffing Meteor F.Mk4 was released recently and I've kindly been given a couple of blank skins to play with - one silver and one camo. I was always going to do an Italian one to start with and chose 4 Stormo but it looked a bit plain to be honest mainly because the Italian's don't use a fin flash so I thought I'd add some recognition colours like the bands around the intakes and a black tail. I quite like this!

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Italian Meteor F.Mk4's
« Reply #2028 on: March 03, 2019, 04:59:16 am »
Gloster Meteor F.Mk4 - Staffel 17, Swiss Air Force, 1951

I had to do a quick search of this thread to check if I've previously done a Swiss Meteor and it turns out I did a Swiss NF.14 nearly six years ago now. I've used all new decals for this including new serial numbers and had to modify a font to get the odd 'J' prefix. The standard 'Germany, Central Europe' terrain does have some snowy peaks way down at the edge of the map so it's a long old flight down there but worth it!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2029 on: March 04, 2019, 08:55:35 am »
Lockheed F-104C Starfighter - 'Getti Tonanti', 5th Aerobrigata, Aeronautica Militare, 1960

Entering service in February 1958 with the 83rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Hamilton AFB, California the F-104A interceptor served only briefly with the USAF Air Defense Command but this was soon followed by the multi-role F-104C which entered service with USAF Tactical Air Command in September 1958 when the 479th Tactical Fighter Wing at George AFB, California began to re-equip with the type. Despite setting a new world altitude record of 103,395 ft (31,515 m) just a few months later in December 1958 the USAF sharply reduced their orders for the F-104 leading Lockheed to urgently seek export orders and they soon gained an export order from the Italian Government in January 1960 for 40 F-104C's for the Aeronautica Militare.

With Italy hosting the Olympic Games in the late summer of 1960, the Italian President Giovanni Gronchi personally asked the US President Dwight D. Eisenhower for the earliest possible delivery date as he wanted to use the F-104C's as part of the opening ceremony. Not only did 'Ike' graciously agree but he also authorised the immediate transfer of 10 F-104C's from USAF stocks which were airlifted to Europe during February and March being reassembled at Ramstein Air Base before being flown to Villafranca Air Base by USAF pilots and officially handed over to the 5th Aerobrigata of the Aeronautica Militare. The F-104C's replaced the F-84F Thunderstreaks of the 'Getti Tonanti' aerobatic display team and this elite unit performed a sensational display at both the opening and closing ceremonies of the Games of the XVII Olympiad held in Rome from August 25th to September 11th, 1960.

Do you know? The F-84F Thunderstreak was probably the perfect canvas for the 'Getti Tonanti' markings with a nice deep fuselage for the team name, a nice spine and fin for the individual Olympic ring colours and nice swept wings for the 'il Tricolore' colours. Only the swept fin requiring the angling of the Olympic rings was a compromise.

Anyway, this is the Starfighter done as best as possible and rather than use six different skins I've used coloured decals for the fins effectively acting as serial numbers with the colour going right to the edge of the decal meaning that the colour spreads out across the whole of that mesh (an individual part of the 3D model). I was hoping to do the same for the tip tanks but it wouldn't work so I had to resort to using red and green tanks on all six aircraft. The wings are painted directly onto the skin bitmap. As to the Olympic rings I realised that the official Olympic rings logo would present a difficulty as the ring colour would not show up the same colour fin. I did try a thin outline first but it looked horrible so I've used a white ring that moves around the logo with only the white fin (Number 6 in the team) having the full colour rings.

Rather than upset my friends in Mexico I've kept the 1960 Olympics in Rome but used a hairy old backstory to get the Starfighter into Italian service on time. The US in service dates are quite correct. Fair play.

Arrivederci fino a domani!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:22:00 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2030 on: March 05, 2019, 01:21:25 am »
BAC Thunderstrike GR.3 - Royal Saudi Air Force, 1986

No input from me here except to strap into Sundowner's GR.3 (export model) and go fly! Just as well really as I'm pushed for time today.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2031 on: March 06, 2019, 12:42:03 pm »
Hawker Hunter F.6 - 'The Red Arrows' Central Flying School, Royal Air Force, 1966

After doing my 'Getti Tonanti' Starfighters I thought I'd do something a bit closer to home and the 'Reds' are the logical choice and the Hunter is the logical aircraft! This is based on the simpler early Gnat scheme and I've elected NOT to put the Union Flag on the fin and I've chosen to use white serial numbers as they look better than blue (and blue is certainly harder to read on the red background). My serial numbers are from a late batch of cancelled F.6's (so that I can use them on something else) but on the Hunter you have to make two types of serial numbers (fuselage and underwing) so of the 18 serial number decals probably 9 will never be used again.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2032 on: March 07, 2019, 10:27:08 am »
BAC Canberra B(I)8 - No.419th Tactical Bomber Squadron, No.1 Air Division, Royal Canadian Air Force, 1964

This is the Canberra B(I)8 - one of my favourites - by the DAT group of modders and the RAF skin has this striking sharkmouth which I thought would look good in RCAF colours. No.419 was a wartime bomber squadron (in RAF Bomber Command) but quickly disbanded in September 1945 and were dormant for nearly 10 years before reforming as an all-weather fighter squadron flying the CF-100 'Clunk' (which apparently is coming to Strike Fighters very soon). I did mean to turn around my Moose head on the starboard fin but forgot!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2033 on: March 08, 2019, 03:40:18 am »
Dassault Mirage 4000D - EC 1-6 'Occitanie', Armee de l'air, 1989

No input from me on this one! An exciting new release today has been the mighty Dassault Mirage 4000 - the F-15-sized big brother to the Mirage 2000. The Mirage 4000 for Strike Fighters has been several years in the making and it was certainly being talked about as far back as 2014. Anyway, it's an absolute cracker and comes with the actual prototype scheme and the 'in service' scheme seen here (btw my 'D' designation is speculative). We're promised additional versions and skins to show the aircraft as if it had entered service and was exported to Mirage users like Belgium. Is it me or does that centreline station look very draggy?

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2034 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:58 pm »
BAC Thunderstrike GR.2 - No.2 Squadron, RAF Germany, 1979

This Lightning F2A style skin is by Sundowner from one of his later advanced TSR.2's which I've applied to an earlier/simpler TSR.2 and knocked up a few 'XZ' serial numbers. Edit: It looks like the undercarriage is missing the right texture - my fault for not checking!

I have done a few of these F2A style schemes myself (Starfighter, Phantom, Hunter and Harrier) and reckon the F-100D would look good in it as would the Tornado.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:56:02 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2035 on: March 14, 2019, 10:13:06 am »
BAC Lightning F.3 - 'The Red Arrows', Central Flying School, Royal Air Force, 1966

Whilst I agree with Kit about giving the Red Arrows the 'lightweight' F.3 I could have saved about 12 hours by using the F.6 for which there is a superb hi-rez 2048x2048 (pixels) template by Sundowner. Because of the different belly and wings I've skinned this one from scratch at 1024x1024 and went a bit rivet crazy - seeing them in my sleep! Anyway, I've gone for the Gnat type fin colours and used red, white and blue on the wings although I did try plain red wings first. The fuselage presents a problem in doing the full length white band as the wings are right in the way so I knocked up a new all white 'treble one' style Lightning flash decal. I think I'll do a 'Black Arrows' version of the F.3 at some time.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2036 on: March 15, 2019, 12:23:16 pm »
BAC Lightning F.3S - F10 Svenska Flygvapnet, 1970

I needed a break from display teams but still wanted to do a Lightning so chose the odd green and blue Flygvapnet scheme and knocked up some yellow tail codes using what I hope is the correct font (it's actually called 'Flygvapnet 64') and green RedTop missiles.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Swedish Lightning F.3
« Reply #2037 on: March 16, 2019, 03:38:04 am »

Not a 'what if' but this gorgeous Canberra B(I)12 was released yesterday.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Swedish Lightning F.3
« Reply #2038 on: March 16, 2019, 05:43:15 am »
English Electric Canberra B(I)12 - No.75 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1958

From the recent Canberra B(I)12 release there are PRU Blue-ish Peruvian and South African skins and I thought WW2 Kiwi markings would look good including the tall finflash seen on RNZAF Corsairs.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Kiwi Kanberra (WW2)
« Reply #2039 on: March 17, 2019, 09:41:06 am »
Fiat G91R3 'Gina' - Irish Air Corps, 1966

A little something for St. Patrick's Day!