F-107

Started by Radish, February 07, 2003, 01:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I sure hope my local Hobby Shop gets them in.....

Of course it will be built Canadian ! Just fits in too perfectly with the Sabre, Super Sabre !

Bring 'em on !

Doing one up in Israeli colours would look pretty cool as well

Cheers
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Supertom

Well, I've got one coming in - I'll either do mine in Israeli or SEA markings.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Nick

This could be the start of a group-build session... Wonder what an Ultra Sabre would look like in RAF colours?

Nick  :G

Radish

:TT As the super looking North American F-107 Ultra Sabre is now in at Hannants at £10, who'll be first to build it?
What markings?
What mods, if any?
How many ultimately?
What scenarios?
Will it be at Huddersfield?
Did the Canadians have them???????????????? Or will they???
:zz  :zz  :dr  :zz  :zz
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

joesus

I've got one underway. The jet Mustang and FB-52 are on the back burner till it's done. Cockpit is a bit basic by modern standards, and the area behind the pilot that lets him see thru the rear windows has to be opened up. The only ordinance on the 107 kit is the semi-submerged belly drop tank. I'm doing a Bitburg based nuclear strike version in 1964 bare metal, with a Mk 28 attached. With the pointed nose, it'd make a great SF rocket plane.

Radish

:h I see a great diorama coming on............
How about a Japanese F-100J, rather stained and crappy, pealing paintwork, etc, next to the new F-107J that's replacing the type in service?
Or something similar with Italian, Danish,French (ooooh, that sharkmouth!)
Talking about sharkmouths, there's the 112 Sqn example and the AVG example, operating on the fringes of mainland Nationalist China?
Or a captured Commie Chinese version?
How many's that?
:G

Radish

:TT F-107 Ultra Sabre....ie Sabre Mk 9 in RAF service:
1. 74 Sqn, natural metal with Tiger markings, lots of black and full colour roundels.
2. RAF Germany, with dull natural metal undersufaces and dark green/very dark green splinter on the upper surfaces; red/blue roundels and subdued markings.
3. \"Blue Arrows demonstration team, all gloss blue with red/yellow 92 Sqn checks on tail, etc
4. RAF strike, 16 Sqn, with Grey/dark green/very dark green uppers, and MSG lowers. Low viz roundels.
5. As !6 Sqn, but wrap-around.
6. Mid-European (RAF Germany) Fighter bomber scheme....dark green replaced with tan, to give a tan/V.dark green/grey colour scheme, wraparound or with msg unders.
7.Tropical scheme, similar to 6 but with lighter shades.
8. Desert Pink.....of course, very weathered!!!!!
9. 112 Sqn Leader's aircraft with full length shark-mouth, but otherwise all matt black.
10. Whatever else you can think of. As this is an \"instant\" brainstorm while my coffee cools, can't think of anymore.....YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, of course, there's the RCAF versions!?!
:q

Captain Canada

Hey Chris !
    Great job, buddy ! And, since it's your Airforce, you're free to make them Stars and Bars as big as you want, and put 'em where you please !
    I still think that, although cool and a really great what if candidate....that thing is U, G, L, Y, ugly !
    And on that note...if this was the Ultra sabre....what would the next one be ? the Sabre Supreme ? Well then, I'll take mine to go with a Pepsi* and some hot sauce !

Cheers, and welcome aboard !

Toad

*trademark...that crap that kinda tastes like Coke*

*another trademark
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Not if they used a projector cannon type of ejector seat or included a baffle to pop up and block the intake when ejections happened. But that's just crazy thinking! :)

Nick  :G

Chris707

]I still think that, although cool and a really great what if candidate....that thing is U, G, L, Y, ugly !

:-) Perhaps not the most pleasing thing to come off North American's drawing boards, for certain. From some angles it does have something of a purposeful look.

]The F107 must have the most rediculous intake positioning of all time!!!!.

Maybe it was *really* intended as an even more powerful incentive for a pilot not to get shot up ;-)

The original (unbuilt) design actually had a more conventional chin intake with a radome above it - for some reason, this mucked up stores separation - no doubt the centerline positioned pod. Hence, the configuration that actually was built.

One of the three actually did get written off, but AFAIK pilot Scott Crossfield stayed with the bird, and there was no need to test how good a people-eater the intake might have been.

]And on that note...if this was the Ultra sabre....what would the next one be ? the Sabre Supreme ?

NA called the F-108 the Rapier- theywould've needed another sword type name. Super-Super-Super Sabre :-)

]Brilliant. I reckon a Nationalist Chinese example with dark grey uppers (setting off the blue of the insignia) would be terrific.

Hmm...that does sound awful pretty (scurries over to references looking for Taiwan pix) :-)

Cheers

Chris

nev

Bad idea...ouch time

BTW welcome aboard Chris.  :TT
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Chris707

For your consideration, a side view depicting an F-107 in post-operational service as a full-scale aerial target circa mid-1980s. This would assume that the USAF decided to buy the -107 instead of the F-105, that the type served in SEA in camo colors, and was retired in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and that examples stored at AMARC were droned more or less concurrently with remaining F-100s. I left the belly pod on, assuming that this would be a convenient place to stash equipment. The stars-n-bars should be made smaller and moved much more forward on the fuselage - my mistake.

Cheers

Chris

Naval Fighters - F-86 review

lancer

The F107 must have the most rediculous intake positioning of all time!!!!. The pilot would have a good chance of getting sucked in when/if he had to bang out in a hurry. Not a good proposition for suvivability.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

:TT Great looking drone. It's about time those of you artistic posted some more ideas!!! Brilliant. I reckon a Nationalist Chinese example with dark grey uppers (setting off the blue of the insignia) would be terrific.
:-/ As for the ejection seat problems forseen (?), the use of the Campione \"rubber band ejection system\" which not only throws the seat/pilot out at an amazing rate, but also in a variety of directions (but not at the same time!) will solve the possible dangers inherant in any ejection.
:Ss

Aircav

Downward ejection  :s

:zz
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader