Falklands circa 1982.

Started by retro_seventies, November 11, 2003, 05:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

The Falklands "would it happen" thread is really ripping along at quite a pace, and the falklands conflict itself seems as though it could become almost a "mini build" in itself, with a really quite large potential range of tackle on either side.

This thread would be a good place to discuss the "what-if" equipment that would be used should the conflict still happen...i've got a few ideas to share/get input on that i'd like to see the light of day, and i'm sure that everybody else does too....

all my "commun-iffer" friends from the soviet naval build may recall my yak-40 ASW/maritime patrol aircraft.

Surely the Royal Navy would have a similar requirement on their larger carriers?

i've got my eye on a spiffy canberra model that i saw over here a while ago and i was wondering what i could do with it, and i think that i have an idea...

i'm not sure how it would interact with the gannet (although maybe the gannet's powerplant was a bit troublesome in my what if universe, and large scale orders never materialised  :P ), but here's my idea for an RN maritime patrol/asw/sar based on the canberra b2

i'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction, if i'm hopelessly way off track...

thanks,

Ben

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Captain Canada

Hey...that looks good ! But then again, almost anything looks good with a MAD boom !

Maybe I'll dig out my RCN falklands air group and finish the darn things.....

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

F-32

Nice.  What camo scheme would the aircraft have?

The reason for the question is that I bought an old Airfix Canberra B2/6 off of
e-bay and your idea has set me off on a conversion!  

retro_seventies

Not sure old chap...

i've got the canberra now, and some asorted junk to mess it up with, and i THINK (here goes) that she'll be in either...

1 - hemp
2 - lo vis grey all over
3 - lo vis top w/ white under....

any opinions?

and what do you have in mind for your canberra chap?

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Geoff_B

Quotei've got the canberra now, and some asorted junk to mess it up with, and i THINK (here goes) that she'll be in either...

1 - hemp
2 - lo vis grey all over
3 - lo vis top w/ white under....

any opinions?

Ben

Try Extra Dark Sea Grey all over, or EDSG  tops with gloss white lower surfaces as per the Gannet, later versions i suppose would be Medium Sea grey (The RAF Nimrod R1's are now going Barley grey and i expect the MR4A will if they get built !!!).

BTW Martin did a Sea Canberra so ask him for some navalisation details

Mike Wren

EDSG over white please Ben, with some nice red/white/blue roundels & sqn markings

F-32

ah crap, I was planning a Sea Canberra...........................oh well, I'll just have to add even more mods to it!

retro_seventies

QuoteEDSG over white please Ben, with some nice red/white/blue roundels & sqn markings
Mike, seeing as its you, i'll be glad to oblige.... ^_^

now, seriously, you think its a silly idea before i get to chopping her up next weekend, or do you think i'm onto something?

i mean, YES i know that its a what-if, so therefore CAN'T be wrong, but it all makes some kind of sense right?

when i (*finally, ack*) ever get around to getting her done i'll maybe make an article about it, quite fancy a couple of kill markings on her from the falklands...

all the best, and keep the advice/criticism coming, eh?

ben  

Aircav

What about a Hawkeye dish  :o  :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

retro_seventies

Funny you should mention that Steve-O....

i've actually got an idea for one of those to be plonked on a jetstream or a dominie.....more room for radar operators and stuff that way....

i've got some prelim diagrams stahsed away somewhere - when i get back from hammering FIFA 2004 (mikey - its marvellous - its got WOLVES in it!) i'll post them for you chaps to pick over and slate...lol

Oh and Mike...a colour sheme like this one??

retro_seventies

Stopped by computer on way to 'fridge (half time FIFA '04, wolves 3 - leeds 0), to post jetstream AEW rough diagram....

note bulged belly for extra fuel/equipment, and wingtip/tail pods for extra electronics.

lancer

I was thinking of using a BAe 146 as an AEW bird. The wings could fold just outboard of the outer engines, add a radome like the Hawkeye and bobs yer uncle...
A bit more room than Ben's Jetstream and Dominie ideas, It could carry more kit and operators as well. Add an IFR probe just above the cockpit to increase endurance and there you go...

Actually, you could probably use it in the ASW and MR roles as well. A carrier based 'mini Nimrod' if you will.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

retro_seventies

Works for me, lancer old chap...

always rather liked the idea of "militarising" (iyyyy is that a real word?) a 146 - i think she'd be super for the role....especially with a couple of sidewinders on the engine pylons!  :D

i'm just gonna look something up....

Bae 146
Length: 85 ft. 10 inches
Wingspan: 86 ft. 0 inches
Height: 28 ft. 2 inches
Weight: 51,342 pounds

S-3 Viking
Length:  53 feet 4 inches
Wingspan: 68 feet 8 inches
Height: 22 feet 9 inches  
Weight:  Max design gross take-off: 52,539 pounds

E-2 Hawkeye
Length: 57 feet 6 inches
Wingspan: 80 feet 7 inches
Height:  18 feet 3 inches
Weight: Max. gross, take-off: 53,000 lbs

So there you go, just the cold figures....the 146 is pretty much identical to the hawkeye in wingspan, its a bit taller than the viking, but its about 30 feet longer than both the yanks...as long as there's room to store her though, the STOL performance and good low speed handling will come in handy....

sounds good to me....

Hey, maybe the marine assualt carriers could use one as a paratroop dropship/stol transport?

maybe even a floatplane one?

The jetstream could still have a place on the smaller carriers though i feel, especially when you consider that the seaking AEW is all that illustrious, invincible and hermes had....

it'll be a bit of a looker too...

now to get that jetstream kit - any suggestions??

all the best,

ben

Mike Wren

Quotethe 146 is pretty much identical to the hawkeye in wingspan, its a bit taller than the viking, but its about 30 feet longer than both the yanks...as long as there's room to store her though, the STOL performance and good low speed handling will come in handy....
just chop a section out of the fuselage and Bob's your auntie  :huh:  

Mike Wren

QuoteOh and Mike...a colour sheme like this one??
sort of, but I think they phased out the sky undersides and used white instead, with EDSG extending down the sides of the fuselage (see RN Phantoms). Depends on the timescale though.

Although if you're doing a Falklands one it'd be in all over EDSG with low viz red/blue roundels and probably overpainted sqn markings (like the Sea Harriers, Sea Kings etc).

but a carrier based Canberra would be ace anyway...

:D