G

Initial Concepts

Started by Geoff_B, November 10, 2003, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Hi All

Well as things appear to have started rolling, its time to see what concepts people are begining to come up with. Feel free to ask or PM me with any Naval Questions as i'm sure me, JoeP or GeoffP will be able to help where we can with data, parts or advice.

cheers

GeoffB

(Aka Thorvic or Ogwash, depending where i am at the time) :D

retro_seventies

Thanks Geoff,

i for one, know a little (but not a lot) about ship matters, and i'll be picking your brain a lot i'm afraid, about carriers etc...thanks in advance for your help!

in fact, my bolton loving chum, i'll start now...

Sweden, nice place, snowy, jolly decent aircraft industry...but how about carriers? i know they don't have one, and as a neutral nation they don't do a whole lot of force projection, but just say they did have a carrier (to defend territorial waters and to send on UN business) then what would they have?

sorry for the vague question mate...

ben  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Supertom

I've been bouncing around the idea of a 80's - 90's era Spanish carrier fleet myself.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Geoff_B

QuoteI've been bouncing around the idea of a 80's - 90's era Spanish carrier fleet myself

Hi Tom

The current spanish carrier Prinicpe Des Austres replaced an ex US CVL  (Cabot) as a VTOL carrier. Spain also drew up plans for an angled deck version of the PdA, slightly longer with a deck edge lift as an alternative to the STVOL version built. Aircraft i suppose, Hornets or Rafales.

The are currently building an new LHD, whicjh is JSF capabable with Ski Jump.

Cheers

Geoffb B)  

Geoff_B

QuoteSweden, nice place, snowy, jolly decent aircraft industry...but how about carriers? i know they don't have one, and as a neutral nation they don't do a whole lot of force projection, but just say they did have a carrier (to defend territorial waters and to send on UN business) then what would they have?

Hi Ben

Currently Sweeden has concentrated on coastal forces and light attack craft for its naval forces but did originally have cruisers and destroyer for deep sea operations.

A sweedish carrier i suppose would be smallish, possibly a VTOL one as the VTOL concept would fit in with Sweedens air operations - A harrier in lizard camo !!!- nice.

For simplest use a modified US LHD would meet thier needs i imagine, ample room for helo's & harriers plus a dock for naval operations. I suppose the dock could carry Fast Attack craft as and alternative to Landing craft or hovercraft based LCAC. the sweeds have also been playing with the new SES surface effect ships with a mix between seacat and hovercraft.

Both the Viggen and the Gripen have very good STOL performances so could have been adaped to carrier use, but with would require an angled deck carrier of about 220m  to 250m in length.

Cheers

GeoffB B)  

retro_seventies

Thanks Geoff!

i was getting a little concerned for a while when you were talking about harriers (not that they aren't GREAT) that i might not be able to have a sea viggen, but you have set my mind at rest  :D

i dunno why, but i find it hard to be as excited by new types as i should be really - i'm a 50's - 80's chap i guess...so don't be expecting too mant gripens from me, although i can't help thinking that somebody, somewhere, would just love to operate a sea draken as a naval interceptor  :D

somebody would need a longish flightdeck though.

and a sea tunnan - ahhh....

swedish lizard cammo in ice blue, and 2 tones of grey - sea lizard cammo - WOO HOO!

*getting a bit too excited*

thank's geoff!

ben (happy enough to forgive you for John McGinlay)
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Ollie

For me it's a EF-2000N Seaphoon made up as a RCN bird for my RCAF 2000 project.  Of course, it will be suitably folded up!

:lol:  :wub:  

TsrJoe

i quite fancy building a 72nd CVA.01 island for a diorama idea...iv already got one of those little RN. deck tractors ready for moulding too...

cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Joe C-P

Some that have come to mind:

1. CVA-01 circa Desert Storm (already mentioned in another thread) - Tornados, Jaguars, EW Buccaneers ala EA-6, E-2, Sea King.

2. Brasilian Essex class - I need to decide an air group and time period, then figure out the markings.

3. Dutch or Italian ex-US CVL or CVE- LPH? ASW?

4. HMS Nassau - ex-US LPH w/ ski-jump added; this was considered if Hermes or Invincible was lost or significantly damaged in the Falklands.

5. Japanese Forrestal class, mid-1970s - F-4s, A-4s, A-7s, F-8s

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Captain Canada

Spain vs. Canada would be a good Naval concept...we got a little mad at one another over the Turbot..........

I think we shoulda sank their fishing boats, and then their Navy after that !

Hmmm.......SHAR vs. SHAR ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

How about an Italian carrier to help defend the Med?  Sea Tornados, SHARS.......dare I say it?...........Sea Starfighters?  :lol:  Imagine landing one of them babies on a carrier!  :D  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

I've got a naval question for you Thorvic,
Why does it fill up with fluff ?............................ :wub:
and another one is which are the best 1/700 LHA and LHD ?

All the best
Steve :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Joe C-P

QuoteI've got a naval question for you Thorvic,
Why does it fill up with fluff ?............................ :wub:
and another one is which are the best 1/700 LHA and LHD ?

All the best
Steve :P
Dragon's LHA is much much better than the Revell blob.  :)

Revell-Germany makes a decent LHD, but if you buy it scrap the aircraft and buy WEM replacements. All the whirley-birds are way out of scale.  :angry:

Waveline and Jim Shirley Prods made LPHs in resin. They're about the same level of quality; Waveline's is far easier to find as it's still in production, but the JSP one had a hangar deck. Aurora made one in 1/600, but it's long, long out of production. Any of these will be beastly expensive, which is why my HMS Nassau isn't going to happen unless the lottery comes through.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Aircav

Thanks Joe I'll have to keep an eye out for the Dragon LHA

All the best
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Geoff_B

QuoteThanks Joe I'll have to keep an eye out for the Dragon LHA

Steve

Buy an Italeri USS Nassau its the same kit as the dragon Pellieu but half the price !!!!!. I've probably got one in the stash somewhere. - Yep got a spare draogn Kit if required.

BTW Joe i sold an Aurora Guadalcanal a month or two ago on ebay - sorry.

Cheers

Geoff