Royal Marine

Started by Nick, November 10, 2003, 02:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I have a vision in mind of a dozen Hueys, suitably painted and loaded with Royal Marines, lifting off from the deck of commando carrier HMS Hermes in 1982 and heading towards Goose Green where they'll drop in on the Argies and hold a surprise party.... :rolleyes:

Dunno what alternative helos there are, but I don't really like the Lynx and the Sea King is just not right <_<
We could see the Royal Marines with their own dedicated helo squadrons for attacking enemy positions and delivering troops into action...

If the British military is going to be a bit bigger than we know it, would the RAF or Fleet Air Arm have a detachment based permanently at Port Stanley International Airport to back up Naval Party 8901?
What might they fly, apart from Harriers?

Nick B)  

Aircav

Well the Lynx couldn't operate in the Falklands so thats one problem sorted ;)  how about SeaCobra's
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Geoff_B

QuoteDunno what alternative helos there are, but I don't really like the Lynx and the Sea King is just not right

How about Navalised Pumas, folding blades & tail, floatation bags, Sea king style intake debris filter, Or you could say some of the larger Suma Pumas could have been bought to allow for a larger load and possibly defensive armament.

How about some of the Naval Lynx adapted as RM attack choppers, with their large pylons to carry rocket and missiles and a couple of door gunners, with radar and sight guided weapons. Can be used for both Naval attacks and land attacks.

A Sea Cobra would be an option, but the lynx may offer greater flexibility.

Anybody tried doing a Westland Westminster as that looked like an early Blackhawk, or the WG13 a Sea Knight style aircraft. but these would have to be scratch built (and don't ask)

Thor B)  

retro_seventies

The westminster's quite an idea Thor - and a darn good one at that.

Here's a shot of one, with some other westland types of the period to give you chaps who are unaware of the type an idea of scale...

bit sturdy, eh?

certainly a nice alternative to the chinook, just imagine a marines covert assualt version with LLTV and TFR and an IFR probe....pretty spiffy i reckon!

maybe one airlifting a scorpion/scimitar/striker/spartan ?

mmmmmmm  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I like the idea of the sea puma too - its always been a much ignored machine i think, and its really jolly capable - besides, anything with rotors looks good with door gunners and a little nose art...  :wub:

would they be naval lo vis too? that'd be a nice change to the regular olive...

can't wait - i'm making a sea gazelle gunship i think - WOO HOO!

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Aircav

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nick

QuoteRM Skyhawks  B)
Oi! Stop pinching my dreams! :P
I was wondering about the RM developing a squadron or two of attack aircraft but thinking more of the T-45 Goshawk in a sexy camo getup, bit like my WW3 Hawk attack idea.
I feel the Admiralty wouldn't look too kindly on a bunch of bootnecks flying FAA aircraft, let alone having squadrons of them.

Oh, and the Westmninster did flit thru my mind last night but I don't know enough about her... There was also a 'Super Lynx' project that was stillborn in the late 80s, IIRC.

Nick B)

Ogwash

QuoteRM Skyhawks

Royal Marine Harrier GR3 or GR7 !!! or even better 1154RAF version :P  

F-32

:dum: Royal Marines Mi-24 Hinds............

lancer

QuoteRoyal Marines Mi-24 Hinds............

Oh yes!!!!! I like that idea
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Aircav

QuoteRM Skyhawks  B)
Oi! Stop pinching my dreams! :P
Who was that lady in the dream Nick and why was she sat on your lap while you were modelling. :o  B)
I've had the idea of doing a camo RM Hawk for a while but with the RM having their own squadrons and pilots, just getting around to it is the problem  :P

Sir Sydney Camm

Alvis

Well, you could Hind-up a Lynx, adding big wing-like pylons for ASMs and gun pods....
Or use one of those Airwolf or Blue Thunder kits we all have squirreled away....

Whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup whup

Alvis :dum:

retro_seventies

Yup, that's what made me think of the gazelle gunship...

put some wings on there, some hydras, a couple of sidewinders and a gun pod and there you go...not sure what i'll do about a cockpit change, but i'll think of something i'm sure....

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Alvis

If you can find the HobbyCraft Bell 222, it's got most of the Airwolf bits in it...I think it's missing the stub fairing guns...or the underside rocket pack...but it's got the side panels anyhow...
And it's cheaper than the Airwo;f too!

F-32

How about the CH-47 Gunship that Italeri did a couple of years back?