O

What are the rules?

Started by Ollie, November 09, 2003, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Can anyone tell me what are the rules to that group build, so I can start buying kits?

;)  :P  B)  :tornado:  :cheers:  :dum:  

Supertom

Well you'll need to wait 'till Ben gets back here and lets us know.  I'm not too sure myself, but I've got some ideas already.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Ogwash

I would say to make it fairly broad to satisfy most peope, so say Allied Naval Power 1950-2020. This can then encompass warships as well as carriers and covers from the Korean War right through to the next generation of due out in the next decade.

This way should please everybody as they should be able to find something they like in this range. The only stipulations being they must be of an Allied Naval theme and be some form of What-if.

Just thinking about the possibilities of the 583 being selected in favour of the 1154RN, giving a modern carrier bourne interceptor capable of operating from the smaller carriers is making the ideas overflow already. There are carriers from the the post war early jets to the latest CVF or CVN-X, and associated naval warships, Ampibious vessels, Marine forces, Carrier Air Wings, Maritime Patrol Aircraft, submarines, Fast Attack Craft (which disappeared from th RN in the 70's !!!).

What does everybody think ?

Cheers

GeoffB B)  

Captain Canada

Rule number one, which truly applies this time of year DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW

And mine will only be 'Allied' in the fact that I'm building a navy to TAKE OVER THE WORLD
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Oh, and Ollie..build something in 350th scale, so i can add it to my fleet when you're done with it !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

1/350??  I don't want to build ships, at least not right now.

If we can make planes, I have this idea for a RCN EF-200N Seaphoon using a two-seater.

:wub:  

Captain Canada

That's my RCN future plane of choice....now if only I can get somebody to make 'em in 350th scale.....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Aircav

Well I'm thinking of a LHA and a LHD in 1/700ish, both RN  ;)  :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

retro_seventies

Well hello chaps,

and a BIG hurrah and thanks to Tom for letting us play with our new group build!

Rules are pretty much as that man Ogwash/Thorvic says, Allied naval power and all that comes with it, from 1950 - 2020, and that's about it...

ships, subs, marines, jets, props, helos, anything that you want....

i'm eager on playing swedish navy myself right now....thorvic, any word on ships for these chappies?

all the best,

ben  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Alvis

There is NOOOOO! Rule six!
Rule seven...no poofters!

Alvis

Amphion

Quotei'm eager on playing swedish navy myself right now....thorvic, any word on ships for these chappies?
Since this is right up my alley  :huh:  I'll have a go at this.

Royal Swedish Navy (RSwN) began to concentrate their efforts towards a "light fleet" in the late 50's. Constructing a number of large torpedoboats (45 meters), FAC/T, in late 50's early 60's, then a new improved class (same size) in the early 70's.

In the meantime the large vessels (destroyers) got either downgraded to frigates or scrapped (wartime heritage vessels). Some newbuilds were keept until late 70's-early 80's, buy which time the frigates were scrapped too.
In the beginning of the 80's the last class of torpedoboats got converted to missileboats, FAC/M, some are still active today.

At the same time a new class of FAC/M (50 meters) was constructed. These were designated corvette's because of the sonar we strapped on it. All in all this class with its 8 missiles, a 57-mm and a 40-mm gun, heavy as well as light torpedoes plus bristelling with electronics have the same clouth as a wartime destroyer.
This class was followed with a somewhat improved class (57 meters) with the same armament.

Latest class, still under construction, has a somewhat lighter armament but is built to a different concept. Still designated a corvette the're bigger still (80 meters) than their earlier counterparts. Clearly the "lighter fleet" steadily moves torwards bigger and bigger ships (future concepts?), allthough fewer in number.

This applies to the RSwN. In Sweden the "Navy" is called MARINEN and consist of two parts, the coastal fleet (traditional navy) and the coastal artillary (equvalent to marines).
As of latelly the later has changed name to the Amphibious Corps, reflecting their change in operations from hardpoints ashore to a more mobile force. I saw a question in another thread about this. I'll try to continue there.
Amphion

retro_seventies

Amphion,

thanks awfully - any info on the swedish navy and the possibilities of a sewdish carrier are greatly welcome...

i know that the carrier is a bit of a stretch of the imagination (but hey, that's the business that we are in, right?) but i think it would be great....tunnan's and viggens (and maybe a couple of drakens - wahey!), maybe a saab 105 or two with special mission fits (asw/buddy tanking/patrol?) and an aew bird of some type (prolly the saab w/ the slab radome, but i wanna try something a bit different - maybe with the ties with Bae b/c of the marketing of the gripen, the swedes might fancy an aew dominie, following their success in service with the RN).

super.

can't wait to buy some saab's and get cracking....

saab 105's with search radar and anti shipping missiles...i bet they'd look great.

all the best,

ben (who will have to get drawing and then modelling this weekend - its gotta wait until then as i am having a busy time with the attwater's prairie chickens at work...its grant/charitable aid time for the endangered species progs,  and we need to secure some major $$$)
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Amphion

Actually the Swedish Navy had a carrier ones, kind of  :lol: :

But if you take this concept, but with modern guns and missiles, its not too far out. Maybee the SAAB 105 equiped with a Pegasus engine instead of the two Snecma's or GE fans. Thus creating a Swedish Harrier variant  :wacko: .

But on the serious side a think if the RSwN would get a carrier-type of vessel it'd bee something more in the line of HMS Albion:

Amphion

retro_seventies

QuoteBut if you take this concept, but with modern guns and missiles, its not too far out. Maybee the SAAB 105 equiped with a Pegasus engine instead of the two Snecma's or GE fans. Thus creating a Swedish Harrier variant  .

NICE.  :wub:

drawings to follow soon, for your abuse/advice/pleasure/displeasure...it'll give me something to do, and i dunno if i would actually build one, but it sounds like fun :D

i still want them to have a "real carrier"....arse.

i might just build one anyway - might be a bit tough justifying it, but i can bullshit with the best of them, and if i can throw some hard facts in there i might even be able to make a convincing argument... :P

thanks mate,

ben  

lancer

I gotta admit, I rather fancy using the 'Tiblisi' that Italeri do as an alied carrier. I just gotta think up a sceneario for it.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die