G

TSR-2 Do we want a kit ?

Started by Geoff_B, October 25, 2003, 05:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Hi

After discussions with Wooksta how about arranging a petition to ganes names on a form to present to Airfix at the Nationals, obviously we will get most there with the display bur how about a little legwork getting some of the local branch members of your IMPS (Canadians & rest could do them and send/fax/scan them over to add to the main batch).

Just an idea but what do you think ?

Cheers

GeoffB B)  

Geoff_B

So come on guys lets get the ball rolling then !!!! :D  

Captain Canada

I'll talk to the owner of my local shop, and see if I can place a petition there. Got a form or somat I can print out, to look a little organized ?!

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Yeap

I was really sounding out the Idea, i'm sure one of the guys like Mike, Wooksta, or Mairfrog could design a suitable standard form that can be printed by all.

Cheers

GeoffB

Aircav

I like the petition idea, the more names the better  :rolleyes:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Supertom

I'd love to hop on the petition, but how do we do this?
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

lancer

Ok, where do I add my scribble??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

Ok, where do I add my scribble??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mike Wren

I'm sure I'd be able to put one in our shop...

:unsure:  

Mairfrog

I was gonna create a petition form over on BACPhoenix (my Yahoo.com group), to tout round the Nats with my box. Reckon it might be an idea to co-ordinate our efforts between here and there.
The petition will basically say 'we the undersigned want an injection moulded TSR 2 with extra parts /decals for What-If versions', then a load of space for signatures. Perhaps an extra column for preferred scale i.e. 1/72, 1/48 or both.

I've been running polls and 1/72 was in the lead last time I looked, with a 617sqn NATO camo scheme being the preferred Whif. Personally, I think the 48th will be rejected on grouds of cost. The TSR 2 is huge so the tool cost would be enormous. Still, 48th is the new 72, if you know what I mean.

One thing I've no idea on is underwing stores. Would it be just fuel? Or fuel/bombs? Or fuel/Sidewinders/ECM like the Tornado? Suppose it depends upon the timeline and the mission. Has anyone seen what BAC proposed?

Geoff_B

Hi Simon

Joe & Wooksta know all about the stpores and Pylons. All four were actually wired for Air to Surface missiles with the inner two being plumbed (Joe will know if outer ones were).

As to the Petition can you knock it together (i know its cheeky - but other are better at doing this than me !!!  :D ) with possibly a graphical header such as Airfix and the TSR2 to encourage people (don't forget to copyright Airfix - if you use it !!!). I was thinking if we get our overseas firends to sign up then it might have more clout when it gets presented at the nationals.

As to markings i would get Wooksta & Joe involved with that, i expext the kit (if produced) would come with XR219 & XR220 as the most famous of the actual aircraft, and for the What-if scheme i would hope 30 sqdn as 617 was still a Vulcan operator at the time, it was the canberra units to get replaced first. Plus 30 sqdn is not currently availble in a suitable decal format.

Cheers

Thor

TsrJoe

yeah id happily open my researches and files if airfix/revell decided to kit it...should save em a couple of thou on research anyway!
my choice for 'stickers' would be XR219/220/221/222 as well as XS660 (plus a set of numbers in between!)
operational birds for me would have to be 40 and 237 ocu badges (keeping them  small, see 1976 RAF. yearbook for proposed squadron marking positioning!)
my main focus re decals would have to be a decent set of stencilling plus some ACCURATE wing walks...something none of the kits as yet have! (camouflaged ones would have had black ones...! so no probs there...!)
weapons fit...again keeping costs down...we dont want to scare a potential manufacturer...id suggest a simple sprue containing four pylons... two inners carrying tanks, the outers carrying Martels or Hunting CBUs! (altho they were also plumbed for ferry tanks) oh and a refuelling probe to be scabbed on to the fus side, maybe even a production 'bulb' pitot tube too!

hmmm..i wonder...
if we could get Airfix on board...their F.111 kit could easily be released as a 111K again with the addition of a simple sprue...intakes, pylons, weapons, rf probe!
a reissue of the Heller Mirage IVA could easily be turned into a Spey Mirage...thus completing the trio! by the addition of a sprue containing new intakes and exhausts...im sure those two 'extra' types would also sell reasonably well too at very little cost outlay...again researches are on file...!

cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mairfrog

Jolly good. Reckon stores etc will have to be simple i.e. cheap. Surely the TSR would have had a bomb bay full of 'tactical' nukes, those WE177 thingies? I'm pushing for a bomb bay in the kit, but what to put in it?

Need to decide on stores cos it affects the parts count, which affects the instructions and also the cost. Joe and Wooksta, please tell me over on BACPhoenix what the weapons should be.

As for markings, again its all to do with the timeframe. I'd like to see RAAF markings included, cos they were the main customer (bloody Mountbatten!). Of course, Airfix would have to include Swedish markings too. :lol:

If we combine our forces, a petition could have the SIG logo and a BACPhoenix one on it, with perhaps pictures of 'sample' intsructions to make people look. The box is already a bit risky re copyright, so I don't want to push it.

TsrJoe

yeah, possibly a basic one piece moulding with some neat moulded on detail should do the trick re the bomb bay, it could also act as a locator and well for the undercart as well?  ;)
re internal weapons fit...twin TER's carrying standard 1000lb bombs or better yet a pair of 177 'sunshines' would be cool...id favour the latter...again for simplicity and also 'cause it was the aircrafts primary role (plus no'ones given us british nukes in a kit before!... Testors/Italeri F.117 with its 61's doesnt count)  B)

cheers, joe... :ph34r:

ps...ill post up a copy of our r&d sig logo ...as youd probably guess its a TSR.2... :P
btw...i take it that you guys know that BAC. had their own logo for the aircraft...???

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

:ph34r: hmmm...just a thought...Airfix could do a couple of boxings...one real ie british, the other what if...including australian and swedish...same kit different decals...more milage... B)

btw...whats the image youre using for your box mockup?

happy modelling, joe