A

Article about TSR

Started by Alvis, October 20, 2003, 08:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis

Wooks: I mentioned seing a comment in (I think) some publication a while ago stating that BAC offered the plane to the RCAF as an intercetor. I found the photocopy, but it didn't mention the magazine on the margins, but the author was Bill Gunston. Thought you'd like to know I wasn't hallucinating!

Alvis, TSR fan

TsrJoe

Hi Alvis...id love to find out where this Canadian ADV. TSR.2 started...any chance of posting the page on the site to see if any of us can recognise its source?

So far thoroughout nearly 20 years of chasing TSR.2 material and accessing everything i can get my hands on in various archives, etc. (yip im a total nerd...!!!) ive not yet found any 'official mention of a Canadian air defence role for the aircraft! copies of the brochures were passed on to the Canadians re the strike aircraft who were also kept informed of the projects progress through NATO. sources.  :blink:

Im wondering if this has been someones musings as a sort of 'what might have been if it hadnt been cancelled' ? in a similar vein to the study carried out in thev mid 70's to see how far the aircraft would fit into the MRCA. role and benifit from 'modern' design thought...(decent engines, ramp intakes, etc.!)   :wacko:

still...it would make for a nice model, im no MN!

happy modelling, cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

lancer

QuoteWooks: I mentioned seing a comment in (I think) some publication a while ago stating that BAC offered the plane to the RCAF as an intercetor.

I read this in the WoF article on TSR2. It's mentioned on the 3 view display page. It could certainly be a good one to do.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

QuoteI read this in the WoF article on TSR2. It's mentioned on the 3 view display page. It could certainly be a good one to do.

Which was written by Bill Gunstan !!!!!

B)  

lancer

QuoteQUOTE 
I read this in the WoF article on TSR2. It's mentioned on the 3 view display page. It could certainly be a good one to do. 

Which was written by Bill Gunstan !!!!!

Well there you go then.... :)  :rolleyes:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

TsrJoe

Aha found it...cheers you guys  :)

...Wings of Fame, Volume 4 page131...quote...

'At one stage BAC did propose an AAM. equipped version of the TSR.2 for the CAF. to serve as a long range interceptor after Canada's own CF.105 was cancelled. This version would have carried a mix of Sparrow and Falcon missilesand there id no doubt Sidewinder AAMs could have been easily integrated.'

I recall asking a few chaps years ago who would definately have known if such a thing was actually proposed to the Canadians (a similar variant was mentioned in the 1976 RAF. yearbook!) to which this drew a complete blank, and after a lecture a few years back asking the pieces author as to its attributed source to which the responce was 'id heard that mentioned during some of the private press briefings on the aircraft' ...sorry Bill but... <_<

im beginning to, sound like an MN!!!  :(

cheers, joe  :ph34r:  

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

...just a thought following the above...the dates dont seem to tie in either...cancellation of CF.105 in 1959 was way before the TSR.2 was even at design finalisation stages...hmmm...!

cheers, joe   

DamienB

Quote from: TsrJoe on October 21, 2003, 02:53:19 AM
Hi Alvis...id love to find out where this Canadian ADV. TSR.2 started...

Bill Gunston actually did well to find out about it I think - the whole proposal was a very closely guarded secret, and I didn't believe a word of it for a long time. Then I found the relevant documents in the Warton archives - there's not much information, and clearly they didn't take it very far, but it was real alright. Pages 315-318 of my book cover it...  ;D

TsrJoe

:bow:

Damien's find of an 'ADV. TSR.2' for me has to be the 'discovery of the century', certainly one i had no inkling of during my visits to the Warton archives  :thumbsup:

i stil say the Canadian angle, and especially with Sparrow and Falcon is a blind !  :wacko: (id very happily be proven wrong tho)  :blink:

cheers, Joe