Offensive/Defensive Loads

Started by lancer, October 19, 2003, 12:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Whilst I was battleing with the bleeding U/C today, I started  thinking about getting the wing pylons into position, and had an idea to stick a pair of sidewinders on the wing tips for self defence purposes. It looked pretty reasonable when I dry fitted them, but I want to know if it's feasible or not.
I do know that BAC offered the TSR2 as a long range interceptor to Canada as a replacement for the Arrow so a missile armament fit would be acceptable under wing, but what abou wingtip??
Any thoughts, comments ect would be gratefully received.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Nick

IIRC the wingtips are tilted down to improve the manouvrebility of the aircraft, bit like those tilted upwards on modern airliners....
I don't like the idea but you could place an AAM pylon just next to the wingtips before the tilt starts.

Nick B)  

Geoff_B

Hi Lancer

TsrJoe should probably be able to answer as to the wingtip strength. I was thinking about putting EW pods on them for the EW/WW version.

For the RAF 2000 i fitted ASRAAM and ALARM as per the Tornado GR4.

Joes art work for a RCAF fighter version has a larger nosecone and twin rails on the outer pylon for AAM. Which version are you doing BTW Lancer ?

Cheers

Thor B)

lancer

QuoteJoes art work for a RCAF fighter version has a larger nosecone and twin rails on the outer pylon for AAM. Which version are you doing BTW Lancer ?

HI Thor,
I'm doing a SAAF Maritime Strike Version.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

I like the idea of having them just inboard of the tips...like the new Typhoon.

Cheers !

And what artwork we talking about...and where can a guy see it ?!
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

B) One of Martin's Web Page Photo Albums

Here you go Toad link as requested - enjoy

Lancer - DOH !!!! - i should have remebered especially after todays question !!!!, do you want some scans of the book to see the demarkation lines and general arrangements ?

Cheers

Thor

lancer

Yes please Thor, that'd be great. All I've got to go on at the 'mo is a 3/4 view of a 24 sqdn Bucc in WoF volume.  I need to pick up the warpaint series, but until I get a contract or another job I've no money to do so. Ah well...

Captain Canada

Cool artwork TsrJoe !

Thanks Geoff !

Toad :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TsrJoe

QuoteI like the idea of overwing pylons--- but thats probably a nonstarter.

no probs there ... thats where it was postulated to carry overwing 'Skybolt' on the TSR.2...ive uploaded a drawing onto the 'oddball' site by James Kightly showing a couple of 'winder missiles overwing too!  B)

structurally i cant really see any reasons why not (normal missiles that is!), also it shouldnt interfere with the wings aerodynamics too dramatically (now Skybolt...that would be a different story!)

hmmm...dont put them on the downturned wingtips tho...those werent too structural, in fact theres a mod drawing in the file showing a strengthening mod to be fitted to the wing/tip junction...shouldnt really be a problem adding them underwing tho between the outer pylon and the tip tho?

happy modelling, cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Geoff_B

Hi Joe

Any information on TSR2 EW/WW possibilities for TSR-2. I was wondering with its healthy internal bombbay and Avioncs package i would be an ideal platform to support the strike mission in the SEAD role.

Cheers

GeoffB B)  

Geoff_B

Thanks joe

That's what i thought. EW really came together in the 70's with the realisation on how effective Soviets SAMs reaaly were, in Vietnam & Egypt.

I was sort of thinking additional Aerials & RWR sensors, some in the modified bombay, Droptanks, with possibly a twin Shrike and maybe a Radar Martel on the other Pylon. The EW/ECM gear would be built in with Chaff launchers at the rear on Bomb Bay. RAF Tactical Camo from the late 70's or maybe Hemp/LAG (Not sure which yet ). Decals are already sorted out.

Developed to assist a TSR-2 raids thus the offensive SEAD armament.

Cheers

Geoff B B)

Geoff_B

Hi Joe

The WW/EW version is next up after these two currently under construction, i'll have to wait till weekend to meet up with Wooksta to sort out the rest the kits and we don't have many days left to build them (25 i think).

Also toying with the idea of doing a Type 583 before i start a 584.

BTW Whats the 12 potential users as i think some people are looking for inspiration to do some of theirs !!!.

Cheers

GeoffB  B)  

TsrJoe

...and the losers are...not in any particular order...

1. United Kingdom...
2. Australia...RAAF. preferred A.3J Vigilantie, but got F.111 eventually instead
3. Canada...only as tactical bomber...kept apprised through NATO.
4. Netherlands...tactical bomber...kept apprised through NATO.
5. FR. Germany...tactical bomber...kept apprised through NATO. (us. nuc. release)
6. Belgium...tactical bomber...kept apprised through NATO. (us. nuc. release)
7. Unnamed european country...kept appraised through NATO. (poss Italy???)
8. Sweden...sw cas. kept informed of progress...brochures passed over
9. United States...initial approaches to Boeing then to Lockheed for SOR.183
10.France...fr. mav. kept informed of progress, brochures passed over (Mirage IV)
11.South Africa...def. at. informed of progress...brochures passed over
12.India...iaf. cas. kept informed of progress...(Pakistan approached too!)

all NATO. member states recieved briefings on the TSR.2 jointly and individually with a view to defining potential sales...

the missing european country isnt mentioned by name in the files iv seen...possibly Italy not mentioned due to potential internal political friction at that time? could be wrong tho...it could just as easily be Luxembourg...now that would be cool... :P

cheers, joe  B)
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

nev

Joe, for a WW TSR2, Martel is the obvious choice as the Buccs were already using them,so they were in the inventory, and being anglo-french, we wouldn't have to spend cash abroad to buy some more.

Having said that, my Lightning WW features Shrikes as opposed to Martels - but this is only cos I couldn't get hold of any Martels in 1/48th  <_<  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Jeffry Fontaine

Nev;  

I would suggest that you try obtaining the 1/48th scale Airfix Sea Harrier and the later Harrier GR kits.  These kits each have a pair of Martel missiles included that are supposed to be Sea Eagle ASM but there is no engine intake for the jet engine that powers that weapon, thus they are for all intents and purposes Martel ARM.  

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg