A new Westland Wyvern book

Started by Aircav, September 29, 2003, 11:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Mike Wren

it's a great little book, lots of pics & line drawings, just a shame there's not more colour really. Got mine a couple of weeks ago and can't now wait for the Czechmaster kit...  :wub:  

Captain Canada

Quotecan't now wait for the Czechmaster kit...  :wub:
Huh ? What kit is this you speak of ?

72nd scale ? Please.please.please.please

Cheers !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Czechmaster Wyvern

Hi Toad

Here's the link, from hannants and it looks like it should be available next week !!! - looks very good indeed.

Cheers

Geoffb :D  

Aircav

Hi' Mike,
are there any drawing's of the Eagle powered Wyvern in the book ?

:blink:  

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Mike Wren

Steve

yes, there are 6 view line drawings of the Eagle engined TF.1 along with the TF.2, T.3 & S.4 versions. Plus drawings of all external stores carried.

and the Czechmaster kit looks superb...

:rolleyes:  

Ollie

But my question is : are there any line drawings of the Wyvern-powered Eagle?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  

Aircav

Sir Sydney Camm

kitbasher

Any information (text and/or drawing) on the W.36 Jet Wyvern project in this book?  BSP Fighters & Bombers 1935-1950 has a drawing that I will scale up to 1/72 for the outline.

I'd assumed this was a tail dragger in the manner of the Attacker, but BSP Jet Bombers Since 1949 states the W.36 had tricycle undercarriage.  Given the location of the engine in the BSP Fighters & Bombers 1935-1950 drawing I can only imagine this as being in the extreme nose (retracting forwards, perhaps?).

If there's no info in the 4+ can anyone shed any light on the undercarriage configuration please?
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Quote from: kitbasher on December 30, 2012, 11:48:33 AM

If there's no info in the 4+ can anyone shed any light on the undercarriage configuration please?

The 4+ books only have information on what actualy was, not what might have been so there is no info about any jet powerd Wyvern

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Thanks Gondor. Meant to say earlier that I was fully aware that the W.36 Jet Wyvern was merely a 'paper' project.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mr.Creak

Quote from: kitbasher on December 30, 2012, 11:48:33 AMI'd assumed this was a tail dragger in the manner of the Attacker, but BSP Jet Bombers Since 1949 states the W.36 had tricycle undercarriage.  Given the location of the engine in the BSP Fighters & Bombers 1935-1950 drawing I can only imagine this as being in the extreme nose (retracting forwards, perhaps?).
Roy Boot's Spitfire to Eurofighter states his first job in the drawing office was putting a tricycle undercarriage on the jet Wyvern:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Spitfire-Eurofighter-Combat-Aircraft/dp/1853100935/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356910828&sr=8-1

QuoteIf there's no info in the 4+ can anyone shed any light on the undercarriage configuration please?
Unfortunately no drawings though.
What if... I had a brain?

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on December 30, 2012, 11:48:33 AM
Any information (text and/or drawing) on the W.36 Jet Wyvern project in this book?  BSP Fighters & Bombers 1935-1950 has a drawing that I will scale up to 1/72 for the outline.

I'd assumed this was a tail dragger in the manner of the Attacker, but BSP Jet Bombers Since 1949 states the W.36 had tricycle undercarriage.  Given the location of the engine in the BSP Fighters & Bombers 1935-1950 drawing I can only imagine this as being in the extreme nose (retracting forwards, perhaps?).

It's definitely nosegear.  I have a three view somewhere in the loft at me Mam's but can't narrow it's location down further.  Exhausts in the same location as on the turboprop one.

If you're going to do one, I'd suggest starting with a Novo Wyvern (unless you can track down the Maintrack Wyvern TF1 fuselage - actually, send me a PM) and revise the wing to that of the TF1.  No dihedral on the tail surfaces and the fin shape is that of the TF1.  Torpedo and drop gear is in the Trumpeter kit.

Tip:  Meteor intake from the Matchbox/Xtrakit NF11/12/14 is perfect for the nose.  
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Thanks guys, very helpful. 
Still intrigued by how and where the nosewheel might fit.
Cunning plan is to use a resin copy of the FROG Wyvern made by a company called 'Sign' that's been in the stash for years.  The BSP 3-view drawing clearly shows no tailplane dihedral plus a TF.1-style fin and rudder.  The need to modify the wings had been noted - the extent will become more obvious following photocopier 'quality time' once back at work this week.
As far as the jet efflux is concerned, again the BSP drawing is clear and it's surprising that the bifurcation isn't more pronounced, as with the Seahawk. To me it looks as though the thrust would almost dissipate out! 
With regards to the intake, good tip Wooks, I've a pair in the spares box.
And thanks also to Lenny100 and his build seen at Telford for the inspiration.

The Wooksta!

I can give you a resin wing and fuselage for the TF1, I just need to find them - I cloned the Maintrack fuselage some years back.  The engine front was wrong anyway so it's ideal as a basis for the jet version.

The Sign Wyven was a cleaned up and remoulded Frog kit and very nice it was too.  Too nice for butchering.  I have the remains of one somewhere to rebuild.

I'll have a look in the loft at me mam's next time I go over.  Need to have a dig through the loft anyway as there's some spares boxes I need to trawl for Sea Hawk and Sea Venom bits.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic