Hornet 2000 Configuration-V !!

Started by Deino, September 29, 2003, 07:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deino

Some time ago I found in an older FLIGHT International issue (20-26. Jan. 1999 – supplement) this picture of a F/A-18 –development called Hornet 2000 Configuration IV !

This was a study on the long way which led to the now final F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and was also a suggestion to Germany, Italy, Great Britain and Spain as a “cheaper” solution for their Eurofighter project !

I was so fascinated of this drawing   :wub:    :blink:    that I decided to make a1/72 model of this project ..... as a basis I used the Italeri F/A-18E kit because I felt that this “what-if” version would surely have the more stealthy air-intakes like the Super Hornet.

... that was tree years ago !!!!

Deino   :)  
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

Ollie

Cool Deino!

Where's that model!?!?!?  We want pictures!!!!

:D  :P  

Deino

During the years that followed I married   :rolleyes:  and my two daughters were born   :wub:    :wub:    ... yep !! ... not much time for modelling !!! .... and the final design of the F/A-18E/F included some stealthy features esp. the intakes. So it was a logical step to proceed with an even more stealthy design which I called now Hornet 2000 – Config. V.

Until now I managed to cut the original wing with it’s big LERX ... therefore I used the original Super-bug’s wing and some spare wings of a F-16 and made this more cranked double-delta wing with very big LERXes.
Then I placed them even further back than in their original plan .... made  a lot of filling and sanding ....  and that’s finally the result after one layer of “white” .... just to look where I need to re-work !!!

... will be continued !!    

Any comments ???    :huh:  

-
W.H.Auden (1945

Deino

Juppss .... You are faster than I can write !!!   :rolleyes:

from below !

-
W.H.Auden (1945

Deino

-
W.H.Auden (1945

Ollie

Amazing!

I love it!

Will you put canards on that thing?

What markings?

:wub:  :wub:  

Tophe

Dear Deino,
Thanks for those nice pictures :wub: . And congratulations for your work :) .
I am not used to see your name, are you a new-comer ?  :mellow:  If so : wellcome... :)  Do you know that Alvis, one of us here, has made already a canard F-18 :

This comes from the nice ARC site http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal-...y_Models%20.htm with plenty of nice What-if models. If you don't know yet, enjoy...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Deino

QuoteAmazing!

I love it!

Will you put canards on that thing?

What markings?

:wub:  :wub:
Thanks for Your reply !!! ....   :)

Regarding the markings I'm not sure ... but see:

Currently the project is “sleeping” again   :wacko:   ... something I wish for my youngest daughter because she’s just getting her fifth teeth !!!    -_-  .... and I make some plans for it’s further developments and construction !

1. as a basis for the tail I will use a spare FY-22 tail
2. I’m still not sure if I will delete the canard .... for my opinion it looks better with this wing alone !!     :P
3. What colour-scheme will it wear ????  I think about three or four very different schemes:

- Should I make it in a typical US Navy F/A-18E/F-style ??? ...
- or as a “what-if” Japanese aircraft – I know that a further F-18-development was one contender for the Japanese F-X-programme which was won by a much improved F-16 (now F-2A/B) !
- or ... that was my latest idea ! ... as an Israeli “Arye” or Iranian “????”!  
At the ACIC forum (but You have to sign in !) I started a tread some time ago (http://www.acig.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=977&sid=6385e8452c31ab3d62f0a11a1a9ece03) regarding this Super-Super-Hornet and was told that it looks very close like a IAI project called Arye ! The Arye itself was a forerunner of the later Lavi and was partly financed and co-developed with IRAN !!!!!! ... later after the fell of the Sha (?) it was cancelled and “reborn” as the Lavi with a change in configuration (see below)  !!
Any comments and suggestions ???

Deino   :rolleyes:

-
W.H.Auden (1945

Deino

QuoteDear Deino,
Thanks for those nice pictures :wub: . And congratulations for your work :) .
I am not used to see your name, are you a new-comer ?  :mellow:  If so : wellcome... :)  Do you know that Alvis, one of us here, has made already a canard F-18 :

This comes from the nice ARC site http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal-...y_Models%20.htm with plenty of nice What-if models. If you don't know yet, enjoy...
Thanks a lot for Your comments !!   :)  :)   ... I will try to keep up modelling that way ! and YES  I'm new here in this forum ... I just found it a few weeks ago !!!

JUST FINE !!!!!!!!!!

I already knew the many F-18-projects from Alvis ... realy great  :unsure:  :o  I've found them at the Aircraftresourcecenter's homepage ! Hope to see much more of his projects here !

Best regards, Deino   :rolleyes:  

-
W.H.Auden (1945

John Howling Mouse

Sorry, just saw this.  Looks fantastic----very forward-thinking yet completely believable.  I like it just as is (no canards needed, IMHO).

Here's a potential finish for you to consider Deino (regardless of final nationality)...
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

As well as being an awesome tiger scheme, its probly not too shabby as a genuine camo scheme!  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Nigel Bunker

Deino

Magnificent model - I feel an urge to graft kits together coming on. Where's the milliput.............
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Deino

QuoteDeino

Magnificent model - I feel an urge to graft kits together coming on. Where's the milliput.............
Thanks and I often have the same feeling  :wub:  ... but since my little daughter was born I have no time left for modelling !!   :huh:

Regarding the milliput !!!  There was a lot esp. on the wings and on the fuselage-wing-joints .... and I still need to refill the wings on the underside !

By the way, THANKS for YOUR pictures ...

Deino  :D

-
W.H.Auden (1945

Deino

Hey take alook what I've found just a few minutes ago !!

At the key-forum there is a new tread regarding the original Japanese FS-X project right before the F-16 was choosen to be the basis of the new F-2 !!!

... this is a drawing posted by "Erez" and seems to show one of the original Japanese designs !!

Looks much like the BAe P.110    :wub:

Deino  

-
W.H.Auden (1945

Captain Canada

Woah......is that ever cool looking !

Really too bad, eh ? That all these beauty a/c weren't produced, and here us poor enthusiasts are stuck with all these boring F-16s !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?