Oh my COD!!!

Started by Nick, September 26, 2003, 02:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Here's a rare one, a De Havilland DHC-5 Buffalo landing on the carrier USS Kitty Hawk. The catch is this one has blown wings like the YC-14 and YC-15 to enable a shorter landing.
Flying Buffalo
How could this idea be adapted for What-Iffery type stuff?

Nick  B)  

nev

I think this is one for our Canuckistan friends to do.  I don't know what kits of it are available, but how about a RCN plane parked on the deck of the latest Canadian Supercarrier, HMCS Howe (or her sister ship, HMCS Richard)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

That's a very well documented aircraft!

Fact is, you don't need nothing fancy to do STOL with a Buffalo...

They once landed between the first and second base, then took-off between the second and the third in New York as a demo for the army...

Crazy....

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Davey B

Check this one out, then! USMC KC-130F landing on the Forrestal!

nev

If you search wayyyyyy back in the forum you'll find links to film footage of Herc landing & taking off from said carrier.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

I'm planning on doing one of my Hobbycrap Caribou ( Bou de la Cair, for Olivier ! :wub: ) as an Osprey type thing...with tilting rotor/engine pods at the wingtips, and a pair of small rotors on the tail ala the Dynavert.

Someday.....

And a DHC  Buffalo in 72nd scale is at the top of my wish list !

Cheers !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

QuoteBou de la Cair, for Olivier

What are you talking about Toad?  This makes no sense at all!   :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

And if you use a configuration like the Osprey, you won't need the tail rotors, that's if you put big propellers instead of the small ones.

But I do like your concept...   :wub:  :wub:  

Captain Canada

What are you talking about Toad?  This makes no sense at all!   :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:
Like Corn Flakes du Kellogg....bass ackwards !

And I like the idea of the little tail rotor....add stability when carrying underslung loads, for slow speed handling, and as an added safety measure in case of engine failure. It  could also give added lift when overloaded.

Cheers !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

If an engine fails with a tilt-rotor, it's good bye mama, hello Jesus!

:lol:

It makes for more drag and weight though...

Captain Canada

The DHC and Canadair engineers devised a rocket  deployed 'chute to slow the decent of the  Caribou Goshawk,  while the tail rotor provides directional stability, in the case of engine failure.

And when it's rotated horizontal it actually provides thrust.

Hah !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

What's the point of having a rotor if you have a chute?  I never saw a man flying down with a chute using a fan to steer himself....

Nah, the truth is you invented something and then found out it made no sense at all and you are stuck trying to come up with a plausible explanation while I destroy all your attempts...

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :P  

Captain Canada

Nope.

The chutes are deployed from either engine.....so you can still control the beast on the way down using one engine, and countering the torque with your tail rotor.

Bah !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

QuoteThe chutes are deployed from either engine.....so you can still control the beast on the way down using one engine, and countering the torque with your tail rotor.

As I said, this makes no sense whatsoever.  If you put a shaft through the wing, then as one engine fails the other will keep the rotor turning.  You'll save weight.  A small chute for a Cessna 150 weighs something lile 150 lbs!  Imagine the same thing for your Caribou.  So, drop all that whacky stuff and use a cross shaft, or if you want a chute that bad, put a big ballistic recovery parachute in the middle of the bird and the big sail will get everything down safely.

Even if your concept worked, what would you do if an engine would fail while making a transition 30 feet off the ground?  Even if the chute is deployed by a rocket, the aircraft will hit the ground before it'll have time to deploy.  Now, in the cockpit there'll be a placard saying : "WARNING!  If an engine fails below 500 feet AGL, you are dead meat! - Fly safely."

Nah, nah, nah and nah!

Put a cross-shaft like the folks at Bell did, it'll work okay.

:ph34r:

Captain Canada

Ollie....you're treading dangerously close to becoming a JMN !

And besides...if these crossshafts work so good...why does Osprey persist in falling from the sky so frequently ?

No tail rotor...that's why !

Toadman...building his way
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

Toad, drink a few more bear and your impure thoughts will go away.

The Ospreys fall down because of pilot error and software troubles.  Also, hydraulics faults.

Look at the XV-15, it has a cross-shaft and has never failed both of its pilots!

This is not JMN behaviour, it's weight saving behaviour!