Thorvic and Joe....are we reaching ?

Started by Captain Canada, August 29, 2003, 12:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hey guys,
    Being the resident 'shippies' I thought I'd ask you guys ! I'm looking for some modern turrets and stuff....I've been to Ehite Ensigns site, and I've already grabbed a few things....

Let me know if you have some trade secrets floating around !

Cheers,
     Midshipman Toad
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Hi Toad

What are you looking for, as 1/350 scale is not as well served as 1/700. But if you give us an idea i can tell you where to look.

Cheers

Thorvic

Captain Canada

Hey Geoff,
    I'm looking for modern turrets, like the little ones you see on the front of our frigates....not sure of the calibre etc. But if they're unavailable, I guess I could modify the old ones ?!?
Also, looking at things like Sea Sparrow and cruise missile launchers, or any kind of modern AA weapons.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

Toad,
The guns mounted on frigates today normally tend to be either 4.5" or 5" automatic loading guns. Pop guns really considering that not so long ago an average mount would be at least twin 6" in the turrets. Oh well I guess the missile is king now days....BTW I come from a naval background.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

;)

I might have given Toad some information overload, i just hope he doesn't decide to buy the 1/350 Halifax class frigate i pointed him too or Mrs Toad will not be pleased !!!! :angry:

If you were working in 1/700 scale i could probably provided everything you needed, but 1/350 is much more limited. Then again i'm currently toying with the idea of a trumpeter USS Yorktown CV10 in 1/350 as a nice long term project, say as HMS Yorktown with FAA Corsairs, traded with the British for one of their armoured  Illustrious class perhaps. Now where to find 1/350 Barracudas, the Corsairs, Tarpons and Hellcats are made by Trumpeter, and i should get a Walrus from WEM.

Cheers

Thor

Captain Canada

Nope.....no overload yet ! But I certainly do appreciate the help !

Do you know if WEM have released their 350th scale Lynx chopper yet ?

Toad
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Joe C-P

QuoteHey Geoff,
    I'm looking for modern turrets, like the little ones you see on the front of our frigates....not sure of the calibre etc. But if they're unavailable, I guess I could modify the old ones ?!?
Also, looking at things like Sea Sparrow and cruise missile launchers, or any kind of modern AA weapons.

Cheers !
The "little guns" on the foredeck of modern Canadian destroyers and frigates are OTO-Melara 76mm automatics. The only 1/350 kits with such are the Blue Water Navy OH Perry kit, the White Ensign Models USS Pegasus PHM, and the Iron Shipwright Halifax class frigate. All three are resin, and so expensive to buy for stealing a few bits. WEM might sell some of their 1/350 parts separately, but I can't guarantee.

For Sea Sparrow octuples, Tomahawk ABLs and Phalanx CIWS, there are the Dragon Spruances. Again expensive, but not as expensive as the resin kits.
1/350 is big and there aren't any companies selling modern parts sets equivalent to the Skywave 1/700 sets.

Commodore JoeP  B)  
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Ogwash

Hi Joe

Its a Bofors 57mm on the nose of a Halifax, and believe it or not the S-Mars 1/350 Arleigh Burke motorized toy has the Pitroad equipment sprue as its based on a scaled up pitroad 1/700 kit - no where near as good as the Panda kits as its a toy, but it might be worthwhile for the spares.

Toad - as to a WEM lynx, just ask them, i think there should be one for their Broadsword class kits

Cheers

:rolleyes:  

Nick

QuoteToad - as to a WEM lynx, just ask them, i think there should be one for their Broadsword class kits.
Had a quick look for this myself and they're sold in packs of 3, listed about halfway down this page - WEM 1/350 Lynx

HTH,
Nick B)  

Captain Canada

Thanks again, guys !

That link to WEM is allot newer than the one I have....this one has the newer guns and the Lynx and the Phalanx....I'll drop them an email or get my local guy ( he's one of 'them' ) to find out if the Lynx is yet available, as there are no pics up. The little Phalanx guns look excellent....can't wait to get a hold of some of them ?!

Cheers,
      Toad
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?