Ficticious Aircraft (Deception and Misinformation)

Started by Tophe, April 15, 2006, 11:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

This incredible batch, below, comes from Air Progress June/July 1964, found by Lark, one of our members having no scanner. The article was entitled "World War Two, Japanese Aircraft from A to Z" with the main sentence (for us) being "Air Technical Intelligence Unit (ATIU) South-West Pacific (...) how could they know that Gus and Omar, two types most feared by the Allies in the Japanese fighter stable early in 1942, were hoaxes"...

This giving so much importance, official, to what-if dreams  :wacko: (like our ones) is nice, somehow, so far from JMNs' severe (and blind) lessons pretending that only serious Real machines (or industrial projects?) are interesting... :angry:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Radish

Well.....that's it then....we need to build some really funny Japanese aircraft to confuse the Japanese SIG at Telford!!
Brilliant....that top one looks terrific! :)  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

JC Carbonel

I have planned to  build an 1/48 Omar for nearly three years now. I bought two cheap Fujimi 1/50 fw190 to donate the engin eggs ... but I have so many other projects this one is on the back burner. The interesting aspect is that this aircraft also appeared in a late-war comic book called Johnny Hazzard ...So I also have marking options !!!

JCC

Son of Damian

I could have sworn that there was a French plane rather similar looking to 'omar' but it was only a research or race plane. It had short wings and a large tail that included the cockpit and blended into the fuselage, and it had an inline engine.  

Does anybody know what I'm talking about???
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

jcf

QuoteI could have sworn that there was a French plane rather similar looking to 'omar' but it was only a research or race plane. It had short wings and a large tail that included the cockpit and blended into the fuselage, and it had an inline engine. 

Does anybody know what I'm talking about???
You may be thinking of the Payen Flechair deltas...

Dannysoars' Payen page with Links

Strange Mecha Ente page

Cheers, Jon

dragon

OMAR, GUS, and JOE might be interesting builds with JMN-baiting potential.  BEN just seems somewhat boring. B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

cletus spuckler

The "BEN" seems very much like a Brewster Buffalo to me, anyone else?

cletus spuckler

Son of Damian

QuoteYou may be thinking of the Payen Flechair deltas...

Yes I was. Specifically the Pa.22 Flechair, which you have to admit does look like 'Omar' if the changed the size and shape of the wings, tail, horizontal stabilizer, and engine.

QuoteThe "BEN" seems very much like a Brewster Buffalo to me, anyone else?

A more elegant version, yes.

It's kind of funny if you think about, that the Allies probably came up with almost as many names for 'fake' aircraft as actual frontline aircraft. The Bf-109, Fw-190, and He-112 all got names, as did the one here.  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Deltafan

A little more about the Suk/zukaze 20 (and Payen and Lippisch too) :

http://j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files...s/suzukaze.html

Regards

Deltafan

NARSES2

I have an origional 1945 edition of the "Observers Book of Aircraft" as issued to the Royal Observer Corps and some of the 3 views of US aircraft in there are a bit "special" let alone some of the Axis stuff. You can tell it's the aircraft but only just in some cases.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

QuoteA little more about the Suk/zukaze 20 (and Payen and Lippisch too) :
http://j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files...s/suzukaze.html
Deltafan
Thanks, this is an interesting collection and reading with technical explanations to understand better: this canopy-in-tail layout came from the question "what-if aircraft were designed with a paper-plane layout?"... :D
With this so special canopy-in-tail are several scale models, at least:
- a Payen by Czechmaster (see http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=CMR1074 )
- many ones in the Unicraft Models catalogue at http://www.unicraftmodels.com/ :

QuoteI have an origional 1945 edition of the "Observers Book of Aircraft" as issued to the Royal Observer Corps and some of the 3 views of US aircraft in there are a bit "special" let alone some of the Axis stuff. You can tell it's the aircraft but only just in some cases.
Chris
I'd be very interested if there are "special" drawings of twin-boomers and Mustangs...  

Deltafan

UK (Gloster) had its own project too :

http://www.insigniamag.com/glost.html

Radish

Brilliant!!
Loved the Gloster, but then I've got the Insignia Mag it was in.
What a shame that's "gone"...I loved it and was a subscriber.
Great Decals from Blue Rider too.

Some interesting projects certainly! :)  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

The Cat a.k.a Meowbag

Quotewe need to build some really funny Japanese aircraft to confuse the Japanese SIG at Telford!!

Harsh .... but funny. I like it. Lol.

The Cat.

Tophe

QuoteUK (Gloster) had its own project too :
Interesting! :)
If I had known this one, I would not have written in "Virtual Mustang" that the principle of the "canopy in tail" was to dicrease drag without the usual double shock for airflow: windscreen then fin. :( Oh, well, what-if...