Started by MartG, April 07, 2006, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Gary F, I'd love to have seen that.  :o

GTX

Quote from: James on November 24, 2010, 10:29:02 AM
Gary F, I'd love to have seen that.  :o

Ditto!!!

Thanks Gary - I wish someone had a photo of it.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Okay, nearly three years later but I've found a photo on t'web of three Vigilantes doing a dump and burn.  A bit grainy, but impressive.   Anyone that frequents BTS might like to bring Gregs attention to it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/8518500911/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Detailed drawings the of the NR-349, posted on Secret Projects
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14338.0.html

First drawing, based on artistic impressions (see page one on this thread):

Second drawing, after the artist saw manufacturers models of the NR349, appears more accurate:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

And those manfuacturers models that were mentioned
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1127.0.html

Multiple variants, built and proposed.  Left to right, top to bottom: NR-349 with Phoenix load, RA-5C, NR-349 again without loadout, Retaliator, A-5A, A3J-2A-5B (I think)

All the following are of the NR-349:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

More power! Now that would make a great whif.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

There are a few that have been done on the net.  None are quite right, probably because they didn't have access to plans or these models.
http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/features/nr349pb_1.htm
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234908343-a-north-american-vigilante-interceptor-nr-349-adc/

It's one I've wanted to do for a while.  I was kindly given two kits and some other bits to do it.  Trouble was, I only had the three pics on the first page.  I'd read that the Tomcat's AWG-9 radar was to be used, and when I offered up a radome, it was obvious that the whole front end must have be redesigned.  Now I've got some referneces I can do it, but when I'll get around to it, who knows?
:unsure:

rickshaw

I've been trying to figure out why you'd need three engines.   The standard two engined A-5 was no slouch and I'd have thought the weapons bay would have been more usefully used either for fuel or even internal missile stowage so that you'd not have the drag from those honking big Phoenixes on the belly...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Purely extra performance.  The NR-349 was touted in the late sixties/early seventies just as the F-15 was coming around.  It had to keep up.  I've heard that the reason there were three engines rather than two more modern units was that the spectacle frame housing the J79's was pretty much integral to the whole aircraft, changing it would basically mean a new design.

rickshaw

Yeah, I know the limitations of the rear frame but I still think the weapons bay could be better utilised.  The extra performance I think would be eaten up by the drag of the missiles.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

That's why you need the third engine.  If you can't change the engines, there's no way two would honk around six Phoenixes.  The Vigi's unusual weapon bay was less than successful for it's intended purpose and it's design doesn't seem to be very good for missiles.  There's a little bit in American Secret Projects about it, I'll see if I can dig up some performance figures.

To be honest, I like the NR-349 fo it's coolness factor, but by the time it's likely to enter service it's a bit of a dinosaur.  The F-15 will be in service, if you need a Phoenix toting machine, order the F-14 (if inter-service rivalry will allow).  I think there's good reason it never got past the early design stage, but I like it.

Mossie

Found those performance figures for the NR-349, not much, but impressive.  Mach 2.5+, 80,000ft+ ceiling.

Now it becomes a bit clearer, those figures are in Foxbat territory.  It was also touted in the early seventies around the time the Sukhoi T4 first flew, my guess it was a knee-jerk reaction to counter it?

Weaver

I've always fancied doing a three-engined "Vigi-fighter" as if it was designed that way from the start, i.e. the three engines are next to each other in a slightly widened rear fuselage and the centre fuselage sidewalls are straight rather than tapered to make the intakes 50% bigger.

Not easy, and with the price of Vigi kits, not likely to happen any time soon.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Might be worth tracking down one of the Chinese copies of the Hasegawa kits - they were straight copies but with recessed panel lines.  Or there's also the old Airfix one?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic