USS Hobart Bay (CVC-5)

Started by TomZ, September 09, 2018, 09:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

USS Hobart Bay (CVC-5)

As the US faced more and more regional conflicts it felt the need to be able to quickly send US Marines and their equipment to different places around the globe.
As the building of new fleet carriers or Assault Ships would take too long and be too costly they decided to use commercially available ships instead.
The Royal Navy had already taken this path during the Falkland War using the container ship Atlantic Conveyor as an emergency carrier vessel.

The US Navy acquired 7 Colombo Express class container vessels of over 330m long. A flat deck was fitted and containers were used to shelter the aircraft on board from the elements. The main flight deck held AV-8 Harrier II aircraft, later replaced by the Lockheed F-35B.
The aft deck was used for various helicopters.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

sandiego89

Really fantastic!  Love the airwing and shelters. 

The Revell 1/700 kit I presume? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TomZ

Ship is Revell 1/700
Aircraft are mainly Trumpeter, with the exception of the F-35s. Those are from Shapeways, 3D printed.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

An awesome device indeed!  :thumbsup:

As soon as I saw the pics I thought 'It's a USN Atlantic Conveyor' a ship I have a great admiration for.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

top model of a brilliant idea there  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Very good.  Now build a 1/350 version...

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JoeP

Ah, another person has discovered the wallet-emptying wonders of Shapeways!  :wacko:

Nice work!  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

sandiego89

Quote from: JoeP on September 12, 2018, 04:06:43 AM
Ah, another person has discovered the wallet-emptying wonders of Shapeways! :

I've bought a few 1/700 scale aircraft from shapeways and have been impressed with the variety and quality...but yes the pricing is dangerous, and fitting a whole airwing for a proper aircraft carrier would be staggering.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Wow another beauty ! Love the idea and have always wanted to build somat similar to the Atlantic Conveyor.

PS-The Hobart needs a crane or two
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Colombo class ships, eh? Will it hold just one more thing...?  ;) :wacko:

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on January 26, 2019, 07:31:25 AM

;D ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on January 26, 2019, 07:31:25 AM

We're going to have to stop calling you "Young Nick" if you keep cracking comments like that  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

I had to come back and look again, and save a few pics for future reference. I just love this thing ! The mix of a/c is superb. I love Harriers but the Sea Lightning just looks better and better every time I see it. Big, shapely, all those bells and whistles hanging off of it. The only thing that would make this thing better would be a Huey and a Sea King lol

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?