Folland Gnat CC2

Started by PR19_Kit, July 25, 2018, 07:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

As I'm making good progress with the Rotocrane HC4 and the Venom T5 I thought I'd start a third build as a 'banker' in case disaster befell one of the others, quite a common fate during my recent builds.

I'll leave you to figure out what it might be for a while from the thread title above.  ;) ;) ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Let's guess, Royal Flight for the use of Royal personages (jet qualified) for continuation flying.   :rolleyes: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Knightflyer

Well I was certainly thinking grey and white with blue cheat-line as with the HC.1 Gazelles or HS125/Dominie CC.1s ?

Unless you're going to do a Hunter to Huntsman type conversion on a Gnat  :o
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Dizzyfugu

I'd expect a Gnat with U-2 wings?

Rheged

A Fleet Air Arm Gnat in "Admiral's Barge"  colours of green and white  or overall blue, perhaps?

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134280
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 25, 2018, 08:22:18 AM

Hehehe, no, but it's an idea.  ;D

Just like the Beagle Basset CC1 was bought to transfer the V bomber crews around the country, so the Gnat CC2 carried TSR2 crews around.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2018, 08:43:59 AM

Just like the Beagle Basset CC1 was bought to transfer the V bomber crews around the country, so the Gnat CC2 carried TSR2 crews around.........

Slightly disappointed it's not a U1.....
But, the role is sort of like NASA's T38s?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on July 25, 2018, 09:56:10 AM

Except the NASA T-38s have only two seats...............  ;)

The U-1 may come along later.   ;D

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2018, 10:40:04 AM

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 25, 2018, 08:14:16 AM
Well I was certainly thinking grey and white with blue cheat-line as with the HC.1 Gazelles or HS125/Dominie CC.1s ?

Unless you're going to do a Hunter to Huntsman type conversion on a Gnat  :o

You're not going to mate one of those little Leopards you like onto the front of a Gnat are you !! ?? !!  :o :o :o
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 25, 2018, 10:57:00 AM

You're not going to mate one of those little Leopards you like onto the front of a Gnat are you !! ?? !!  :o :o :o

Not exactly, no.................  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

Doug K

😳

loupgarou

You're planning a four or six seat Gnat??  :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Following the logic of the Bassett, which carried five V bomber crew members and a pilot, the Gnat CC2 carries the two TSR2 crew members plus a pilot............  ;) ;D

And it's assigned, like the Bassett, to RAF Transport Command so it'll be white on top, and silver underneath with a blue lightning stripe.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Here's the first build pic.

It took an age to get this far as the darn thing is SO small that the position of the cut to extend the nose needed to be very accurate to ensure the three seats fitted properly. Lots more filing and PSR yet to do of course, plus the not inconsiderable issue of making a new canopy..........

Having said that my cut wasn't as accurate as it could have been so there's more PSR needed than might have been the case.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This Gnat kit has surprised me, and not positively.

I've got used to the precision of current Airfix kits, where you have to follow the instructions almost to the letter to ensure it all goes together properly. The Gnat isn't like that at all, the fuselage halves aren't symmetrical, one cockpit edge being at a different slant angle to the other and the landing gear bays don't fit all that well, neither do the air intakes. It's a bit disappointing really, considering how well kit has been lauded in the modelling press.

I'm sure it'll build up very well eventually, even though it's been subjected to my somewhat warped ideas  ;D but it could have been so much better.

I've fitted it with some Pavla resin ejection seats to replace the standard Airfix items, and they don't look too bad, but the entire cockpit interior has had to be modified so I can fit it after the fuselage has been assembled. This is because I'll have to carve a balsa plug mould for the new, longer canopy and the seats would interfere with the plug's fit to the fuselage.

It's got as far as the PSR sessions for the nose extension so far, and that's looking like a 3-4 stage process.

Regards
Kit